Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retired U.S. General says he was misquoted about images of rape in still-secret abuse

Default Retired U.S. General says he was misquoted about images of rape in still-secret abuse

Taguba denies he's seen abuse photos suppressed by Obama

The general told a U.K. paper about images he saw investigating Abu Ghraib -- not photos Obama wants kept secret.

By Mark Benjamin

May 30, 2009 |

Retired Army Maj. Gen. Antonio Taguba denied reports that he has seen the prisoner-abuse photos that President Obama is fighting to keep secret, in an exclusive interview with Salon Friday night.

On Thursday an article in the Daily Telegraph reported that Taguba, the lead investigator into Abu Ghraib abuse, had seen images Obama wanted suppressed, and supported the president's decision to fight their release. The paper quoted Taguba as saying, "These pictures show torture, abuse, rape and every indecency."

But Taguba says he wasn't talking about the 44 photographs that are the subject of an ongoing ACLU lawsuit that Obama is fighting.

"The photographs in that lawsuit, I have not seen," Taguba told Salon Friday night. The actual quote in the Telegraph was accurate, Taguba said -- but he was referring to the hundreds of images he reviewed as an investigator of the abuse at Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq -- not the photos of abuse that Obama is seeking to suppress.

In March 2006 Salon published "The Abu Ghraib Files," 279 photographs and 19 videos collected by the Army's Criminal Investigation Division as it examined the shocking cases of prisoner abuse at the notorious Baghdad prison. The photos depict scenes of extreme cruelty – prisoners forced to publicly masturbate, naked prisoners held in extreme stress positions, or being walked naked by a female guard. Some photos show prisoners bloodied and otherwise injured, with untrained guards tending to their wounds.

Several news organizations have described some of those same images as among the ones Obama is seeking to suppress, when in fact, they've already been published by Salon.

Taguba says the Telegraph story got one important fact right: He said he does support Obama's decision to fight the release of the images subject to the lawsuit, even though he has not seen those images. "No other photographs should be released," Taguba told Salon, because he worries additional images might threaten the safety of U.S. troops.

Taguba denies he's seen abuse photos suppressed by Obama | Salon News

So that ends that one- the photos he was describing have already been released, at least partially.

Hit By Ban Bus!

So that ends that one- the photos he was describing have already been released, at least partially

You actually believe that!?? He's bactracking, pure and simple. Someone got to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    So that ends that one- the photos he was describing have already been released, at least partially

You actually believe that!?? He's bactracking, pure and simple. Someone got to him.
    That logic would work if we didn't already have photos that show abuse, rape, torture, etc. The photos were released years ago.

Besides- look at the logic here- if he was trying to blow the top off this thing, he wouldn't have also said that he supports the Obama Administration's decision to not release the photos.

He was the ONLY guy who was saying that Obama was withholding photos that reflect rape and now he said he was misquoted. The Pentagon and The Obama Admin have both said that the photos don't reflect rape.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Of course. We should always believe everything the Pentagon and the White House tell us. It is our duty as Good Americans.

Of course. We should always believe everything the Pentagon and the White House tell us. It is our duty as Good Americans.
    Please- I don't believe that. Its crazy that the man can't even complain about being mis-quoted without people imagining conspiracy and wrongdoing.

um, maybe because anytime someone says they were misquoted, or taken out of context or heard wrong it's a crock of shit and they're backtracking?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    um, maybe because anytime someone says they were misquoted, or taken out of context or heard wrong it's a crock of shit and they're backtracking?
    Very true.

Rule of thumb is anyone that says they were "misquoted" or the like really means their words shouldn't have been made public.

They told us the truth about My Lai, the overthrow of Allende in Chile, Iran-Contra, Watergate, our involvement in Guatemala in '54, Iran in '53, the JFK assasination, Nicaragua, Haiti, the Lumumba murder, COINTELPRO, the overthrow of Papandreou, the overthrow of Bosch in the Dominican Republic .....didn't they?
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    They told us the truth about My Lai, the overthrow of Allende in Chile, Iran-Contra, Watergate, our involvement in Guatemala in '54, Iran in '53, the JFK assasination, Nicaragua, Haiti, the Lumumba murder, COINTELPRO, the overthrow of Papandreou, the overthrow of Bosch in the Dominican Republic .....didn't they?
    And, to be current, Jessica Lynch, WMD, and Tillman.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    And, to be current, Jessica Lynch, WMD, and Tillman.
    For starters.

You guys are all such ridiculous cynics lately. Its getting impossible to have a decent political discussion around here. I'm all for legit conspiracy theories and laying blame where its due. But this hardcore hatefest for all things Obama has gotten unreasonable and totally illogical.

I don't think we're being unreasonable at all, and too cynical? It's politics! There's no such thing as too cynical!

How is this hatefest? From my position, it's hyperbole like that which drives away honest discourse, and makes YOU seem like you're wearing blinders.

Go look at the section again. He's praised when he does the right things, and knocked when he does the bad. He started out better than he's doing now.. right now he's mired in making questionable decisions. If pointing that out is a hatefest, then I daresay you've been comprimised and your perception is skewed.

It wouldn't matter WHO was in the hot seat making these decisions, be it Obama, Bush, or otherwise. If i see a bad decision, I'm going to flay the person making it.

Hating all things Obama? Really.
    Last edited by Grimmlok; May 31st, 2009 at 11:58 AM.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

When someone (or something, like our government) has been shown again and again to be a liar, it's smart to have some healthy skepticism....

and I question why he said the photos included rape, when none of the previously released photos show rape.

In March 2006 Salon published "The Abu Ghraib Files," 279 photographs and 19 videos collected by the Army's Criminal Investigation Division as it examined the shocking cases of prisoner abuse at the notorious Baghdad prison. The photos depict scenes of extreme cruelty – prisoners forced to publicly masturbate, naked prisoners held in extreme stress positions, or being walked naked by a female guard. Some photos show prisoners bloodied and otherwise injured, with untrained guards tending to their wounds.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Actually, Taguba only had the authority to investigate Abu Ghraib and was not allowed to investigate up the chain of command into the Pentagon. The pictures involved in the ACLU's lawsuit are from other places outside of Abu Ghraib, which means that if they're released it, torture can no longer be blamed on "a few bad apples." Thus, it would prove that torture was systemic. Since Taguba wasn't allowed fully to investigate up the chain of command, it is possible that he has not viewed those photos. Taguba was not allowed to investigate fully like a special prosecutor would have been due to the constraints put on him by the Pentagon.

Also, the 44 pics in the ACLU lawsuit do not show rape, it's being reported....

So again, I question why Taguba mentioned rape. He says he has not seen these 44 pictures.

But he saw it somewhere, spoke about it, and now it's out there. Hersh spoke about it. The genie is out of the bottle.

There are apparently a couple of thousand pics of things that took place there. What we have seen is just the tip of the iceberg. They are surpressing these pictures in addition to the 44 in the ACLU suit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information