Thread: White House: Closing GITMO was a 'hasty decison'

Default White House: Closing GITMO was a 'hasty decison'

White House: Closing Gitmo a 'Hasty Decision'

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said closing the detention center at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, was a “hasty decision,” in his daily press briefing with reporters.

President Obama’s decision to close the controversial detention center in the early days of his presidency was met with adulation on the political left and earned headlines in newspapers across the world. It was seen as a clear break from Bush-era national security policy.

But recently Obama has irked many liberals with his decision to continue Bush-era military commissions to try Guantanamo Bay prisoners and his decision not to release photographs allegedly depicting U.S. soldiers abusing detainees in Afghanistan and Iraq. To an extent, this break with the political left is indicative of the difference between campaigning and governing.

Gibbs' comment appears to affirm some White House critics who argued that closing Guantanamo Bay was a policy shift easier said than done.

The White House comment (Click here to see video) comes on the eve of a major national security speech by Obama. Obama is expected to address, in part, Senate Democrats' opposition to funding the closure of Gitmo. Democrats have withheld funding closure until the White House offers a clear plan on how the detention center will be shut down and importantly, where detainees will be sent.

The closure of Guantanamo Bay has quickly turned into a "not in my backyard" issue. No U.S. representative wants to explain why a Gitmo detainee was allowed to live in his or her district. In the same vein, Obama has found U.S. allies no more willing to accept detainees. France and Britain each accepted one former detainee. There are about 240 detainees at Guantánamo Bay and 30 are clear for release.

RealClearPolitics - White House: Closing Gitmo a 'Hasty Decision'

Of course, part of the problem is how can we convince any other country to take these prisoners- even though we've already been told no by everyone we've asked- if our own politicians won't accept them on our soil.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

Coward.

A*O

I think this is a good example of Obama rushing in to score Popularity Points without thinking it through or being in possession of all the facts. Not saying GITMO is a good thing but it's there and just closing it down was always a very simplistic solution to the problem.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I think this is a good example of Obama rushing in to score Popularity Points without thinking it through or being in possession of all the facts. Not saying GITMO is a good thing but it's there and just closing it down was always a very simplistic solution to the problem.
    True. Plus, you run into the problem of nobody wanting the detainees in other states, which makes putting them through the U.S. court system and into the prisons a tougher sale. But, at some point, Obama & Congress are going to have to figure out where these people are going, because you can't keep them in GITMO forever.

A*O

Maybe it will be "accidentally" bombed during military training exercises.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Or maybe the detainees will 'accidentally' drown while trying to escape on one intertube.

Thread Information