Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama admin plans to defend DADT in district court system

Thumbs down Obama admin plans to defend DADT in district court system

The Wall Street Journal looked at the Don't Ask, Don't Tell issue today through the case of Major Margaret Witt. The Obama administration didn't appeal Witt's win in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which was a good sign. But, the Obama administration is going to keep defending the law at the District Court level, which isn't good. John explained the mixed signals we've been getting from the Obama White House:

Some advocates for gay rights say they are becoming frustrated with what they see as mixed messages on the law on gays in the military. "This is a positive step but it's in the middle of a slew of negative steps so we're not really sure what's going on," said John Aravosis, an advocate who blogs on the issue.

Mr. Aravosis said he is concerned that the White House Web site section on civil rights was recently edited and some of Mr. Obama's promises to the gay and lesbian community were no longer listed, including his promise to repeal the don't ask, don't tell policy. After complaints, a reference to the military policy was restored.

Someone over at the White House needs to figure out this isn't 1993. It's 2009 and the LGBT community is much more energized than ever before. That whole Prop. 8 experience made us realize that rights can be taken away. I'm starting to get the sense that gay Americans are viewing their rights the way gun owners do. That's the level of intensity we need. And, that's something our supposed allies in the White House don't get.

This quote is particularly disturbing:

White House spokesman Ben LaBolt said the president remains committed to repealing the law "in a sensible way that strengthens our armed forces and our national security" but added: "Until Congress passes legislation repealing the law, the administration will continue to defend the statute when it is challenged in the justice system."

If you listen to the language of the Obama administration, "sensible" and "sustainable" are the code words for Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Never heard those words during the campaign.

Is this defense of laws with which Obama disagrees consistent across all policy areas or just gay issues? An administration doesn't have to defend a law with which it doesn't agree or thinks is unconstitutional.

There's a case in the pipeline on the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) already, which challenges Section 3 of the that. The lawsuit, Gill, et al. v. Office of Personnel Management, et al., was filed in March against the Office of Personnel Management. Will the Obama administration defend DOMA in court, too?

If the White House thinks signing the hate crimes bill is enough, they're wrong. And, a beautiful proclamation about gay pride won't cut it either. The times have changed and the President and his people need to catch up -- fast.

www/americablog.com
    This sounds a lot like "Maybe this will just go away and we won't have to do anything" to me.

Ah the ol bus is backing up over the gays again.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

He's only been in the White House ___ days! What the hell do teh gheys expect???
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Equality.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

And, a beautiful proclamation about gay pride won't cut it either.
    sadly, for many people it will.....

oh no, the admin is pro gay, they've said so

the proof is in the policies.......
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Obama won't be reversing DADT anytime soon.

or at all, as I'm inclined to believe.

It definitely won't be this year. But people have to continue to put pressure on both Obama and Congress if it's ever going to get reversed.

*marches down with some redcoats and sets the white house on fire*

^ you guys did that already, and the place is still a mess
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Might be harder this time, what with all those automatic weapons in the hands of the citizenry

DADT isn't going anywhere anytime soon and no amount of frustration or media fire will change that. Congress is not moving to repeal it and pointing to the White House, the White House isn't going to do anything if Congress looks as if it won't back the idea, so the finger is pointed at them.

Effective stalling for now. It's been 4 months already and Obama hasn't changed everything! Slowpoke!

It's not that he hasn't changed everything, it's the change in stance and position, as well as the cheap excuses.

I could deal with "Yes, it's going to be changed, i stand behind that and this is the timeline we're looking at. It IS on the agenda, and i will keep everybody updated as we progress."

That's a responsible answer. That's not what we've gotten. We've gotten "changed" instead of "repealed", i don't know, not sure, and then silence.

How hard it is to understand why the Administration is waffling?

Presidential nominee wants a law repealed. He wins the presidency and is gung ho about the changes he will make. After a bit of research, he finds out the powers that really be are in no way going to support his views. He pushes for a change the Congress will in no way vote for. He can't repeal it. Only Congress can vote to change it, which they are not going to do, or the Supreme Court has to strike it down, which is not going to happen.

Maybe he should force the issue and force Congress to vote, which will keep DADT in effect or pressure the Supreme Court to look over the constitutionality, which they will NOT do or will do and change nothing about it.

Then the DADT opponents are SOL and even more pissed.

Again, what do you want him to do, which will positively affect the gay rights movement?

suspend it pending congressionial review and lobby the retards who aren't in favor to support getting rid of it.

They are behind the scenes forces at work and suspension would result in a situation which the gays would not be happy with. No amount of lobbying will change minds in this case.

Putting it off is actually the smart thing to do, if gays want their rights soon and don't want them ignored at least another generation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information