Thread: Donald Rumsfeld's crusade memos mix religion and war imagery

Default Donald Rumsfeld's crusade memos mix religion and war imagery

Onward Christian Soldiers!

These never-before-seen documents from the Rumsfeld Pentagon mixed religion and war. In the days surrounding the US invasion of Iraq, cover sheets- like the ones in this exclusive GQ.com slideshow- began adorning top-secret intelligence briefings produced by Donald Rumsfeld's Pentagon. The sheets juxtaposed war images with 'inspirational' Bible quotes and were delivered by Rumsfeld himself to the White House, where they were read by the man who, just after September 11, referred to America's war on terror as a "crusade."

AND HE SHALL BE JUDGED: GQ Features on men.style.com

AND HE SHALL BE JUDGED
    Former defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld has always answered his detractors by claiming that history will one day judge him kindly. But as he waits for that day, a new group of critics—his administration peers—are suddenly speaking out for the first time. What they’re saying? It isn’t pretty
    By Robert Draper

On the morning of Thursday, April 10, 2003, Donald Rumsfeld’s Pentagon prepared a top-secret briefing for George W. Bush. This document, known as the Worldwide Intelligence Update, was a daily digest of critical military intelligence so classified that it circulated among only a handful of Pentagon leaders and the president; Rumsfeld himself often delivered it, by hand, to the White House. The briefing’s cover sheet generally featured triumphant, color images from the previous days’ war efforts: On this particular morning, it showed the statue of Saddam Hussein being pulled down in Firdos Square, a grateful Iraqi child kissing an American soldier, and jubilant crowds thronging the streets of newly liberated Baghdad. And above these images, and just below the headline secretary of defense, was a quote that may have raised some eyebrows. It came from the Bible, from the book of Psalms: “Behold, the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him…To deliver their soul from death.”

This mixing of Crusades-like messaging with war imagery, which until now has not been revealed, had become routine. On March 31, a U.S. tank roared through the desert beneath a quote from Ephesians: “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.” On April 7, Saddam Hussein struck a dictatorial pose, under this passage from the First Epistle of Peter: “It is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men.”

These cover sheets were the brainchild of Major General Glen Shaffer, a director for intelligence serving both the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the secretary of defense. In the days before the Iraq war, Shaffer’s staff had created humorous covers in an attempt to alleviate the stress of preparing for battle. Then, as the body counting began, Shaffer, a Christian, deemed the biblical passages more suitable. Several others in the Pentagon disagreed. At least one Muslim analyst in the building had been greatly offended; others privately worried that if these covers were leaked during a war conducted in an Islamic nation, the fallout—as one Pentagon staffer would later say—“would be as bad as Abu Ghraib.”

But the Pentagon’s top officials were apparently unconcerned about the effect such a disclosure might have on the conduct of the war or on Bush’s public standing. When colleagues complained to Shaffer that including a religious message with an intelligence briefing seemed inappropriate, Shaffer politely informed them that the practice would continue, because “my seniors”—JCS chairman Richard Myers, Rumsfeld, and the commander in chief himself—appreciated the cover pages.

But one government official was disturbed enough by these biblically seasoned sheets to hold on to copies, which I obtained recently while debriefing the past eight years with those who lived them inside the West Wing and the Pentagon.'
    There's a really long article that goes with these. I'll read it and post excerpts. You can read the full article here: AND HE SHALL BE JUDGED: GQ Features on men.style.com

Fucking demented.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

I cannot believe he did that - if only someone had leaked them years ago...

Elite Member

Rummy manipulated Dummy.

Only in America

I feel extremely nauseous. I hate these people with a passion.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Christians wonder why we get so annoyed with them. This is a perfect example. Using god to justify your war is sick. We looked at the enemy and he is us.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

^^it's not only Christians that use God to justify their wars......that exists across the religious spectrum.

in some places conversion from the prescribed state religion is punishable by death. Christians don't have the market cornered on this shit. fanatics come in all faiths

it's just acceptable to bash the christians over it, and to keep silent on other oppressive religions.... funny that
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Um no

Fuck Islam and Fuck Judaism too.

Stupid shitbags.

Feel better?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Maybe it's easier to ascribe to and justify your participation in worldwide wars if you believe you are fighting a holy war. Drag God into it and then make sure that you let everyone you know that they are not Christian (or fill-in-your-favorite-faith-here) if they don't support it. It's called "manipulation".

It's like those emails we all get - "if you believe in God, you'll pass this on to 5 million of your friends. If not, you'll trip across the next crumb on your carpet, break both knees, and burn in hell before you get there."

Speaking of religion, heard about "Cheesus of Nazareth" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^^it's not only Christians that use God to justify their wars......that exists across the religious spectrum.

in some places conversion from the prescribed state religion is punishable by death. Christians don't have the market cornered on this shit. fanatics come in all faiths
    Malaysia. Ethnic Malays are not allowed to convert from Islam. That's one.

Also, this article reminds me about another article written about religion & the US military except it was in Harper's a couple of months ago. It was on chaplains and religious harassment in the military. See, Ronald Reagan changed the rules on admitting chaplains in the military. Originally, chaplains were hired from specific denominations or religions based on the percentage of soldiers who belonged to each denomination or religion. Thus, no one denomination could control the clergy of the military. Reagan did away with that rule. Guess what? The military clergy is now controlled by evangelicals who are NOT the majority of soldiers serving in the military. Due to this we've had scandals like the one at the Air Force Academy in Colorado where rampant proselytizing has taken place. And lots of other shit.

That Harper's article was an interesting read. (Jesus killed Mohammed: The crusade for a Christian military—By Jeff Sharlet (Harper's Magazine))

Here's some Hurricane Katrina fodder, from the same article. I'm disgusted with this story- I cant belive Rumsfeld put his ego over saving lives. At any rate here's another excerpt:
    A final story of Rumsfeld’s intransigence begins on Wednesday, August 31, 2005. Two days after Hurricane Katrina made landfall in New Orleans—and the same day that Bush viewed the damage on a flyover from his Crawford, Texas, retreat back to Washington—a White House advance team toured the devastation in an Air Force helicopter. Noticing that their chopper was outfitted with a search-and-rescue lift, one of the advance men said to the pilot, “We’re not taking you away from grabbing people off of rooftops, are we?”

“No, sir,” said the pilot. He explained that he was from Florida’s Hurlburt Field Air Force base—roughly 200 miles from New Orleans—which contained an entire fleet of search-and-rescue helicopters. “I’m just here because you’re here,” the pilot added. “My whole unit’s sitting back at Hurlburt, wondering why we’re not being used.”

The search-and-rescue helicopters were not being used because Donald Rumsfeld had not yet approved their deployment
    —even though, as Lieutenant General Russ Honoré, the cigar-chomping commander of Joint Task Force Katrina, would later tell me, “that Wednesday, we needed to evacuate people. The few helicopters we had in there were busy, and we were trying to deploy more.”

And three years later, when I asked a top White House official how he would characterize Rumsfeld’s assistance in the response to Hurricane Katrina, I found out why. “It was commonly known in the West Wing that there was a battle with Rumsfeld regarding this,” said the official. “I can’t imagine another defense secretary throwing up the kinds of obstacles he did.”

Though various military bases had been mobilized into a state of alert well before the advance team’s tour, Rumsfeld’s aversion to using active-duty troops was evident: “There’s no doubt in my mind,” says one of Bush’s close advisers today, “that Rumsfeld didn’t like the concept.”

The next day, three days after landfall, word of disorder in New Orleans had reached a fever pitch. According to sources familiar with the conversation, DHS secretary Michael Chertoff called Rumsfeld that morning and said, “You’re going to need several thousand troops.”

“Well, I disagree,” said the SecDef. “And I’m going to tell the president we don’t need any more than the National Guard.”

The problem was that the Guard deployment (which would eventually reach 15,000 troops) had not arrived—at least not in sufficient numbers, and not where it needed to be. And though much of the chaos was being overstated by the media, the very suggestion of a state of anarchy was enough to dissuade other relief workers from entering the city. Having only recently come to grips with the roiling disaster, Bush convened a meeting in the Situation Room on Friday morning. According to several who were present, the President was agitated. Turning to the man seated at his immediate left, Bush barked, “Rumsfeld, what the hell is going on there? Are you watching what’s on television? Is that the United States of America or some Third World nation I’m watching? What the hell are you doing?”

Rumsfeld replied by trotting out the ongoing National Guard deployments and suggesting that sending active-duty troops would create “unity of command” issues. Visibly impatient, Bush turned away from Rumsfeld and began to direct his inquiries at Lieutenant General Honoré on the video screen. “From then on, it was a Bush-Honoré dialogue,” remembers another participant. “The president cut Rumsfeld to pieces. I just wish it had happened earlier in the week.”

But still the troops hadn’t arrived. And by Saturday morning, says Honoré, “we had dispersed all of these people across Louisiana. So we needed more troops to go to distribution centers, feed people, and maintain traffic.” That morning Bush convened yet another meeting in the Situation Room. Chertoff was emphatic. “Mr. President,” he said, “if we’re not going to begin to get these troops, we’re not going to be able to get the job done.”

Rumsfeld could see the writing on the wall and had come prepared with a deployment plan in hand. Still, he did not volunteer it. Only when Bush ordered, “Don, do it,” did he acquiesce and send in the troops—a full five days after landfall.

Today, when I presented this account to Rumsfeld’s then homeland-affairs assistant, Paul McHale, he denied that Rumsfeld’s actions resulted in any delay: “This was by far the largest, fastest deployment of forces probably for any purposes in the history of the United States.” McHale argues that Rumsfeld’s caution was due to his conviction that Bush could not send in the military as de facto law-enforcement officers under the Insurrection Act. But as one of the top lawyers involved in such scenarios for Katrina would say, “That in my mind was just a stall tactic so as not to get the active-duty military engaged. All you needed to do was use them for logistics.”

Ultimately, Rumsfeld’s obfuscations about National Guard rotations, unity-of-command challenges, and the Insurrection Act did not serve his commander in chief, says one senior official intimately involved with the whole saga: “There’s a difference between saying to the president of the United States, ‘I understand, and let me solve it,’ and making the president figure out the right question to ask.”

“What it’s about,” says this official, “is recognizing that in an emergency, the appearance of control has real operational significance. If people are panicked, everything becomes harder. If we had put those troops in on Thursday, the narrative of Katrina would be a very different one.”

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Bloody hell. What sort of insane shit is this? Rummy needs to be slapped around for a few years.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information