Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nancy Pelosi says Bush team misled her on waterboarding

Question Nancy Pelosi says Bush team misled her on waterboarding

WASHINGTON Under strong attack from Republicans, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi accused the CIA and Bush administration of misleading her about waterboarding detainees in the war on terror and sharply rebutted claims she was complicit in its use.
    "To the contrary ... we were told explicitly that waterboarding was not being used," she told reporters, referring to a formal CIA briefing she received in the fall of 2002.
    Pelosi said she subsequently learned that other lawmakers were told several months later by the CIA about the use of waterboarding.
    "I wasn't briefed, I was informed that somebody else had been briefed about it," she said.
    The House's top Democrat made her comments at a news conference where she was peppered with questions about her knowledge of a technique she and others have called torture. Republicans have insisted in recent weeks that Pelosi and other Democrats knew waterboarding was in use, but made no attempt to protest.
    In a written response issued moments after Pelosi spoke, an official at the CIA neither disputed nor accepted the California Democrat's statements.
    Instead, George Little, head of the CIA office of public affairs, said it would be up to Congress to determine whether notes made by agency personnel at the time they briefed lawmakers were accurate. He said the notes could be made available at the CIA "for staff review."
    Pelosi renewed her call for a so-called truth commission to investigate the events in the Bush administration that led to the use of waterboarding and other harsh interrogation techniques. While President Barack Obama has banned waterboarding, calling it torture, he has been notably cool toward an independent inquiry that might distract attention from his domestic agenda.
    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., also has expressed opposition, as have congressional Republicans.
    Pelosi was particularly harsh in describing the CIA.
    "They mislead us all the time," she said. And when a reporter asked whether the agency lied, she did not disagree.
    She also suggested that the current Republican criticism marked an attempt to divert attention from the Bush administration's actions.
    "They misrepresented every step of the way, and they don't want that focus on them, so they try to turn the attention on us," she said.
    Pelosi contended that Democrats did what they could to stop the use of waterboarding. The senior Democrat on the Intelligence Committee, who received the 2003 briefing on the practice, sent the CIA a formal letter of protest, she said.
    But Pelosi defended her own lack of action on the issue, saying her focus at the time was on wresting congressional control from Republicans so her party could change course.
    "No letter could change the policy. It was clear we had to change the leadership in Congress and in the White House. That was my job the Congress part," Pelosi said.
    Pelosi says Bush team misled her on waterboarding
    I remember Pelosi saying in an interview with Rachel Maddow last year that she was told about what Bush was doing, but that since it was classified they couldn't talk about it to anyone outside of the room.

lying whore, shut up.

God, if i had the power to drag EVERYBODY involved in front of a commission I would.

Half of washington would be empty though.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    lying whore, shut up.

God, if i had the power to drag EVERYBODY involved in front of a commission I would.

Half of washington would be empty though.
    I think you underestimate how many knew and did nothing.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

this is about the 12th version of the story she has put out....and quite a few dems have backed up that she knew
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

even Rove is poking his pigsnout up and saying she knew.. I'm like.. fine. Put her ass on trial along with YOU.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Always someone else's fault.

Life is full of hypocrits. Many reside in Washington DC. (Isn't that a requirement of being elected anyway?)

Graham: CIA Gave Me False Information About Interrogation Briefings

by Sam Stein

In testimony that could bolster Speaker Nancy Pelosi's claim that the CIA misled her during briefings on detainee interrogations, former Senator Bob Graham insisted on Thursday that he too was kept in the dark about the use of waterboarding, and called the agency's records on these briefings "suspect."

In an interview with the Huffington Post, the former Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman said that approximately a month ago, the CIA provided him with false information about how many times and when he was briefed on enhanced interrogations.

"When this issue started to resurface I called the appropriate people in the agency and said I would like to know the dates from your records that briefings were held," Graham recalled. "And they contacted me and gave me four dates -- two in April '02 and two in September '02. Now, one of the things I do, and for which I have taken some flack, is keep a spiral notebook of what I do throughout the day. And so I went through my records and through a combination of my daily schedule, which I keep, and my notebooks, I confirmed and the CIA agreed that my notes were accurate; that three of those four dates there had been no briefing. There was only one day that I had been briefed, which was September the 27th of 2002."

As for the one briefing he did attend, the Florida Democrat said that he had "no recollection that issues such as waterboarding were discussed." He was not, per the sensitive nature of the matters discussed, allowed to take notes at the time. But he did highlight what he considered to be pretty strong proof that the controversial technique was not discussed.

"What struck me...was the fact that in that briefing, there were also two staff members," he said. "As you know, the general rule is that the executive is to brief the full committees of the House and Senate Intelligence committees about any ongoing or proposed action. The exception to that is what is called "covert action," where the president...only briefs the Gang of Eight, which is the four congressional leaders and the four intelligence committee leaders. Those sessions are generally conducted at an executive site, primarily at the White House itself. And they are conducted with just the authorized personnel, not with any staff or any other member of the committee.... Which leads me to conclude that this was not considered by the CIA to be a Gang of Eight briefing. Otherwise they would not have had staff in the room. And that leads me to then believe that they didn't brief us on any of the sensitive programs such as the waterboarding or other forms of excessive interrogation."

The remarks made by Graham bolster the comments offered by Pelosi on Thursday. The Speaker told reporters that during her briefing session in the fall of 2002 she was not just kept in the dark about the issue of waterboarding, she was assured that it had not been used.

"Yes, I am saying that the CIA was misleading the Congress," she said.
    However, records and testimony do show that high-ranking aides were present during a February 2003 briefing when waterboarding was discussed by the CIA with Reps. Porter Goss and Jane Harman.

Graham declined to speculate as to what took place during Pelosi's briefings, noting that the House and Senate had two entirely different sessions. But he did point out that, at the time, "the whole credibility of the intelligence committee, particularly the CIA, was pretty much in question" -- giving credence to Pelosi's claims that she was given faulty information.

"The irony," said Graham, "is that the whole series of events in late September of '02 were concurrent with the CIA's release of the first classified version of the National Intelligence Estimate, which was one of the key factors that led me to vote against the war in Iraq because I thought that their case was so weak. And they were making to the public these very bold statements about how we were in extreme danger if we didn't move quickly to eradicate Saddam Hussein. The whole, 'a smoking gun may appear in the form of a mushroom cloud' kind of argument."
    Graham: CIA Gave Me False Information About Interrogation Briefings

Also, for more on Sen. Bob Graham's notebooks, watch this segment: Rachel Maddow Show

Just watched that segment about Bob's notorious notebooks on Rachel's show - like when does Graham have time to do anything else except take notes? Impressive!

Another Lawmaker Points To An Error In CIA Briefings Doc

By Zachary Roth - May 19, 2009, 11:43AM

Here's yet more evidence -- as if it were needed -- that that CIA briefing document that Republicans are trying to hang around Nancy Pelosi's neck is hardly a reliable source of information.

Rep. David Obey, who chairs the appropriations committee, just sent the following letter to CIA director Leon Panetta:
    Dear Director Panetta: In light of current controversy about CIA briefing practices, I was surprised to learn that the agency erroneously listed an appropriations staffer as being in a key briefing on September 19, 2006, when in fact he was not. The list the agency released entitled "Member Briefings on Enhanced Interrogation Techniques (EITs)", shows that House Appropriations Committee defense appropriations staffer Paul Juola was in that briefing on that date. In fact, Mr. Juola recollects that he walked members to the briefing room, met General Hayden and Mr.Walker, who were the briefers, and was told that he could not attend the briefing. We request that you immediately correct this record.
    Sincerely,
    David R. Obey
    Obey joins Sen. Jay Rockefeller, former senator Bob Graham, and of course Pelosi herself in pointing to inaccuracies in the CIA document.

And, though most of the media was fooled by last week's statement, Panetta himself isn't guaranteeing that the document is accurate.
    Another Lawmaker Points To An Error In CIA Briefings Doc | TPMMuckraker

Source: "EIT" Term Wasn't In Use When Pelosi Was Briefed

By Zachary Roth - May 19, 2009, 12:27PM

Here's yet another reason (as if more were needed) to doubt that that CIA briefings document perfectly reflects what lawmakers were told about torture back in the early days of the war on terror.

Almost every briefing described in the document -- including the September 2002 Pelosi briefing that's directly at issue -- refers to "EITs," or enhanced interrogation techniques, as a subject that was discussed. But according to a former intelligence professional who has participated in such briefings, that term wasn't used until at least 2006.

That's not just an issue of semantics. The former intel professional said that by using the term in the recently compiled document, the CIA was being "disingenuous," trying to make it appear that the use of such techniques was part of a "formal and mechanical program." In fact, said the former intel pro, it wasn't until 2006 that -- amid growing concerns about the program among some in the Bush administration -- the EIT program was formalized, and the "enhanced interrogation techniques" were properly defined and given a name.

The former intel professional, no partisan defender of Democrats, faulted Nancy Pelosi for not pressing harder in the briefing to determine exactly which techniques had and hadn't been used. "The extent to which members ask questions should drive what's going on," said the former intel pro. "It's your job to ask."

Still, the impression created by the CIA, and by Republicans looking to use the document to damage Pelosi, is that as early as 2002 there was a universally agreed upon definition of enhanced interrogation techniques (the document, remember, doesn't say that waterboarding was mentioned during the Pelosi briefing). In reality, it appears, the term, and the techniques it encompassed, occupied a far murkier realm.
    Source: "EIT" Term Wasn't In Use When Pelosi Was Briefed | TPMMuckraker

This entire thing is just turning into a big clusterfuck of 'he said, she said, they said.'

they all knew.

all of them.

this whole "i was misled" shit is so fucking stupid. It's insulting.

none of them are actually going to admit that they knew....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Hopefully Obama and Biden live on so she wont be our next prez
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Obama and Biden are continuing Bush era horrors. They're WORSE than her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information