Thread: Washington Times runs photo of Obama girls with story of murdered schoolchildren

Thumbs down Washington Times runs photo of Obama girls with story of murdered schoolchildren

Gawker - Washington Times Runs Photo of Obama Girls With Story of Murdered Schoolchildren in Chicago - obama girls

Since getting this tip earlier I've tried to to examine this objectively from every possible angle, but frankly there is no other conclusion that can be drawn other than this: This is just plain creepy. The gaffe, if it can even be called that because it appears nearly impossible for this to have been an accident, appears to have been originally caught by the blog, No More Mister Nice Blog. The Times, which later pulled the photo from its story, makes no mention of the Obama girls anywhere in the piece, yet clearly identified them in the photo caption that ran with the story.
    ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTOGRAPHS The Obama daughters (above) - Sasha, 7, and Malia, 10 - attended the private University of Chicago Laboratory Schools. This school year 36 of the city's school children have been killed.
    How the hell does something like this happen, even at the country's most conservative daily newspaper during a Democratic administration? Are there no humans with active souls, with warm blood pumping through their veins, around to man the ship over there?
    Eric Boehlert at Media Matters chewed on this a bit earlier today.
    Think about the specifics of today's case. The Obama children, of course, are not actually mentioned in the news story. But somebody at the WashTimes thought it made perfect sense to insert the image of the underage White House occupants into a story about murdered kids in Chicago.
    And no, this was not an example of an unfortunate juxtaposition, where the the Obama girls photo was actually part of another, more innocuous story and because of a layout quirk simply appeared near the murdered-kids story. Instead, the Obama girls photo was specifically selected to accompany the article.
    Here's an interesting side note to the story: Looking though the comments, it appears as though only one Times reader, commenting under the name "jiff," bothered to express outrage at the use of the photo.
    "I am appalled that you put a picture of the President's children with this article. Please explain the reasoning behind this."
    Say what you want about the politics of former Times editor-in-chief Wesley Pruden, and he was as radically conservative as they come, but I doubt there's any way horseshit like this would've happened under his watch.

Hit By Ban Bus!

None too subtle threat, if you ask me. Gotta keep those presidents (short for puppet in residence) in line.

That's out there. It really makes no sense.

Whhhaaatt? Are they nuts?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

What the fuck. I really dont have anymore words for it than that.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

The Washington Times likes to live dangerously. Not a good idea to target the MINOR kids of the president. Michelle might have to flex her muscles and put somebody in a headlock.

Huge faux paux
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Faux pas, literally "should not be done"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Probably not a good idea to rile Michelle up, I'm pretty sure a girl from Chicago's south side can throw down if necessary, Miss prep school First Lady or not...
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

And newspapers actually have the gall to wonder why they lost so much of their readership. They've became as sick as the National Enquirer.
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Why isn't this rag going out of business? Hell, lots of decent papers are going under yet this piece of shit rag that spews hate and stirs up the idiot masses on a daily basis continues to chug along. I'm thinking there is some rich right wingnut fuck behind it who is willing to bankroll the damned thing for as long as it takes to cause some real trouble.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

WashTimes editor John Solomon responds to the Obama children photo controversy

May 14, 2009 4:42 pm ET by Media Matters staff
    In a statement to Media Matters, Solomon explained:
    The Washington Times published the Chicago school deaths story in its print edition without a photo. The story likewise was uploaded to our Web platform by editors without a photo attached. At some point, our automated news Themes engine _ which was constructed to match related content on our Web site _ paired the AP photo to the Washington Times story in the Themes section of our Web site. An online editor later spotted the photo and added a short caption. That editor should have removed the photo from the site but did not recognize the inappropriate mismatching.

As soon as we learned about the problem, we detached the photo from the story. We regret that this technical glitch led to an inappropriate pairing of the photo with the story and we've taken steps both technologically and in our editorial process to try to avoid such an episode in the future. At no time did this newspaper intend to link the Obama children to the school story.

We also hope that this glitch does not distract from the important and well-reported subject of the story: the crisis of school violence in one of the nation's largest cities.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

The mismatch was unfortunate, but I am also concerned over the 36 school kids killed. That is unbelievably disheartening, there is something very wrong and very bad going on there in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    The mismatch was unfortunate, but I am also concerned over the 36 school kids killed. That is unbelievably disheartening, there is something very wrong and very bad going on there in Chicago.
    I believe this has been going on for a few years, now? I think a few out let brought it up during the Presidential Campaign. I remember the story of a boy who was killed in the school bus.

abc7chicago.com: Teen killed in CTA bus shooting 5/10/07
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    WashTimes editor John Solomon responds to the Obama children photo controversy

May 14, 2009 4:42 pm ET by Media Matters staff
    In a statement to Media Matters, Solomon explained:
    The Washington Times published the Chicago school deaths story in its print edition without a photo. The story likewise was uploaded to our Web platform by editors without a photo attached. At some point, our automated news Themes engine _ which was constructed to match related content on our Web site _ paired the AP photo to the Washington Times story in the Themes section of our Web site. An online editor later spotted the photo and added a short caption. That editor should have removed the photo from the site but did not recognize the inappropriate mismatching.

And this is why automated thematic engines are incapable of mimicking human understanding. I used to do taxonomy work, and no one understood how difficult it was to keep unrelated content out of specific categories. For example, I'd get articles on bridge loans in a civil engineering category etc. You can't rely on technology to do the work of a human being.

Thread Information