Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin signs book deal

Default Sarah Palin signs book deal

Palin signs book deal with HarperCollins
    By SEAN COCKERHAM

Gov. Sarah Palin has signed a book deal with HarperCollins Publishers for what is described as her memoir.

"There have been so many things written and said through mainstream media that have not been accurate, and it will be nice through an unfiltered forum to get to speak truthfully about who we are and what we stand for and what Alaska is all about," Palin said in an interview today in which she announced the deal.

Palin and HarperCollins would not say how much she was being paid. Asked why, the former Republican nominee for vice president said she didn't want to distract from the substance of the book.

"The idea is to focus on the content of the book and what's coming in terms of me being able to tell my story unrestrained and unfiltered," Palin said.

The governor said details will be disclosed as required under Alaska law when her annual financial disclosures are due next March. Her advance from the publisher is likely to be paid in stages, though, and it's not clear if she has to disclose the full amount on that report or only the portion received in 2009, according to the state public offices commission.

The book is to be published sometime in spring 2010. Palin will have a collaborator, who is expected to be chosen soon. The governor said she wants to do a lot of the writing herself, and that it will be her story and her words.

"It will be nice to put my journalism degree to work on this and get to tell my story, Alaska's story. There have been so many unauthorized books and publications that have spoken to somebody else's opinion of who I am, what my family represents and what Alaska is all about," she said.

Published reports this winter suggested Palin was pursuing an $11 million advance. She called that figure "laughable" in January but has never provided another. Palin said she'd give a portion of the book money to charities, although she hasn't decided how much or which ones.

Palin hired Robert Barnett, a Washington, D.C., lawyer who is one of the most powerful figures in book publishing, to negotiate the deal for her memoir. His past deals reportedly include $12 million for Bill Clinton's memoir and an $8.5 million advance for Alan Greenspan.

Barnett said in an interview on Tuesday that HarperCollins was "first and fervent" in pursuing the Palin book.

HarperCollins president and CEO Brian Murray said in a written statement that "Governor Palin is one of the most charismatic, inspiring and controversial figures to appear on the national political stage for many years."

"She has a fascinating story to tell, and we look forward to publishing what surely will be a captivating book," he said.

HarperCollins said the book will recount her time as mayor of Wasilla, as the first female governor of Alaska and her rise to the national stage during last year's presidential campaign.

Palin will also share insights on challenges including being a working mother with a son serving in Iraq, another son with Down syndrome and a teenage daughter who went through an unplanned pregnancy, the publisher said.

"I just really look forward to being able to relate to people through this book, those who are anxious to hear stories about people who are facing similar challenges perhaps. That's balancing work and parenting -- in my case work does mean running a state, and family involves a large and fun and colorful ordinary family that really has been thrust into maybe some extraordinary circumstances," the governor said.

Palin said the book won't interfere with her duties as governor, and others have written books while in leadership positions. She said she won't work on the book during state time and will be jotting down her thoughts "after hours." Palin said journals she's kept through much of her life will be used for the book.

"My journaling really ramped up when I found out that I was pregnant with Trig and then Track was going off to war and I found out Bristol was pregnant," Palin said. "When we had those episodes in our lives come to the surface, it was very therapeutic for me."
    Palin signs book deal with HarperCollins: Alaska News | adn.com

.. she'll be selling Dick & Jane door to door?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Clearly, Satan made you say that, also, too.

How to Murder Wolves and Sink an Overglorified POW's Presidential Campaign

No no, that was all me.

YOUR MOTHER SUCKS COCKS IN HELL

Yeah, see that was Satan.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

"Mom, Satan yelled at me! Also, he won't stay on his side of the seat, too!"

Alaska's story. Unwed teen pregnancy. Abstinence gone wrong. Corruption. Witchcraft. Something for everyone . Alaska will impeach!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

"unfiltered"

She really loves that word. She used it repeatedly throughout the campaign in complaining about how she was perceived. It's all media bias!
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Don't forget stalking, drug arrests, cutting of school bus brake lines, dropping out of high school. Also.

And the Alaska Independence Party, too.

More newsiness:
    Palin has never written a book and her critics, noting her disjointed CBS interviews with Katie Couric, have questioned whether she could. Two years ago, Palin told PBS' Charlie Rose that her favorite writers were C.S. Lewis ("very, very deep") and a Runner's World columnist, Dr. George Sheehan. Asked Tuesday about her reading, Palin mentioned that she "really enjoyed" Katharine Graham's Pulitzer Prize-winning "Personal History" and cited works by Obama, McCain and Bill Clinton, whose "My Life" she read "just recently."

"Being a voracious reader, I read a lot today and have read a lot growing up. And having that journalism degree, all of that, will be a great assistance for me in writing this book, talking about the challenges and the joys, balancing the work and parenting, and, in my case, work means running the state," Palin said.

"I've read a variety of books, and that helps shape my opinions and my views."

Is it going to be a picture-book so Joe Six-Pack can enjoy it too?

Or just print installments on the side of beer cans. Gotta catch them all!
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Is it going to be a picture-book so Joe Six-Pack can enjoy it too?
    It'll be a popup book, dontcha know!?

gotcha: a memoir in catch-phrases and winks, by sarah palin.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

I don't envy the poor writer who has to "reconstruct" some kind of acceptable life from the rubble of the Palins, lol.

And what about those of you who are saying, “Hey, wait a minute now. What about that clause in the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act that says:
    ‘The head of a principal executive department (the governor) of the state (Alaska) may not accept employement (being an author under contract) for compensation (money) outside the agency that the executive head serves (being the governor of the state of Alaska)?’”
    If you followed the parenthetical explanation, you’ll see that basically, that’s supposed to mean that the governor can’t have another job. Fear not. They’ve already thought that through. According to Palin’s legal counsel, Thomas Van Flein, who is now a regular celebrity guest on The Eddie Burke Show, the state has preapproved all of this. You know….legal schmegal and all that.

Palin said the book won’t interfere with her duties as governor, and others have written books while in leadership positions. She said she won’t work on the book during state time and will be jotting down her thoughts “after hours.”

Here’s a little 60 second dramatization to clarify that for those of you who are still confused.

Alaskans:
    But Governor, you’re not supposed to have another paying job while you’re the governor. See? (we hold up the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act and point)

SP:
    But the paying job won’t interfere with my duties.

Alaskans:
    But you’re not supposed to HAVE another paying job.

SP:
    But other people have done it in other states, and in other positions.

Alaskans:
    But our ethics act says your not supposed to have another paying job while you’re governor of Alaska!

SP:
    But I’m only going to work at my other paying job after hours. You know, like moonlighting!

Alaskans:
    But you’re not supposed to have ANY other paying job while you’re the governor!

SP:
    I’ll just be jotting thoughts in my own words… And you don’t even have to know how much I’m making.

Alaskans:
    But you’re NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE ANY OTH…. Does anyone have any whiskey?

(whiskey break)

Back in February, Bill McAllister, Palin’s communications director pointed out to us that the governor is the governor all the time. That’s why she does such a great job.
    In fact she works 24/7, on call 24/7 constantly monitoring what’s going on in all of state government and isn’t hesitant to make course corrections any old time, and I can tell you personally that I have often responded to her emails late at night or early in the morning. She is on top of it.”
    That was supposed to make us feel better. No distractions, no taking her eye off the ball. She’s on top of it. So….now she’s going to be writing a book in less than a year.
    The governor said she wants to do a lot of the writing herself, and that it will be her story and her words.

“It will be nice to put my journalism degree to work on this and get to tell my story, Alaska’s story.
    Somehow I don’t think Alaskans are going to be thrilled with the governor “putting her journalism degree to work” when she’s supposed to be…you know…governing. I can only imagine what the legislative session will be like next year. And then there’s the book tour.

And all this will be happening in an election year. Which means that either the governor is hoping that the media attention and publicity from the book tour will escalate her approval rating enough to topple Lisa Murkowski from her seat in the Senate or get her reelected, or she’s not planning on running again for governor, but will just fly out of town at the end of her term and become the darling of the religious right, touring the nation, hosting fundraisers and signing copies of the book. There’s no way of knowing.

Will she beat Joe the Plumber to the bookstands? How many ghost writers collaborators will she go through? Will they quit or be fired? How about editors? Will she begin the book tour three days before the end of the legislative session? And what about the title?
    The Mudflats » The Audacity of Hype! Palin Signs Book Deal. But is it Legal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information