Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana trying to stop gays from adopting

Thumbs down Louisiana trying to stop gays from adopting

Gay marriage is having a pretty damn good week. On Wednesday, DC voted to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states. Maine's governor followed up by signing gay marriage into law. And then! New Hampshire lawmakers passed a gay marriage bill which now goes to the governor, leaving us all staring, longingly, at little old Rhode Island.

But as the big gay storm sweeps across New England, conservatives in other states are scrambling to bar the doors against gay rights. For instance: "The Louisiana legislature is moving forward with legislation that would bar the state from issuing birth certificates showing two people of the same sex as parents."

The move stems from a federal lawsuit in which a gay couple, who adopted a child in a New York court, tried to add their names to their child's birth certificate for health insurance purposes. When Louisiana refused to do so, saying they didn't recognize gay adoptions, the couple filed suit and won. (The state is appealing.)

The unfolding gay rights showdown is one of the most fascinating stories going on right now, so it will be interesting what happens when the bill goes up for a vote in the Louisiana House. Governor Bobby Jindal supports the bill. (Of course he does.) Because nothing says family values like denying kids health insurance and -- what's that other thing? -- their parents.

Meanwhile, as Obama stays eerily silent on the gay marriage debate, opponents like the ever-understated Marion Barry are kicking up dustclouds of outrage, warning of a "civil war." Rhode Island, your move.

Salon.com - Breaking news, opinion, politics, entertainment, sports and culture.
    cut a bitch
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

reason number 89898975847847879834545164344 why the south is ass-backwards.
    (sorry to southerners on the board, but how the hell can you stand living with all those fundies?)
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

those fundies are every fucking where. they are just more vocal in the south because we're notorious for not hiding the crazy. drive down any little backroads town and you'll see all the crazy sitting out there on the front porch in a rocking chair... petting an invisible cat and wearing invisible clothes....
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

That sucks but yeah the south isn't the only place backassedwards. I wonder everyday if NY is the place to be why the hell gay marriage isn't legal there. Must be some fundies in the woodshed somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    those fundies are every fucking where. they are just more vocal in the south because we're notorious for not hiding the crazy. drive down any little backroads town and you'll see all the crazy sitting out there on the front porch in a rocking chair... petting an invisible cat and wearing invisible clothes....
    of course there are fundies everywhere. but it just seems like in the northeast they are outnumbered by a relatively sane and liberal majority, and people seem less attached to 'traditional values'.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    That sucks but yeah the south isn't the only place backassedwards. I wonder everyday if NY is the place to be why the hell gay marriage isn't legal there. Must be some fundies in the woodshed somewhere.
    nyc is liberal, the rest of the state- not so much
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    reason number 89898975847847879834545164344 why the south is ass-backwards.
    (sorry to southerners on the board, but how the hell can you stand living with all those fundies?)
    American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

god really screwed you over on that one

Damn it just pisses me off thinking of the thousands of kids in foster care of orphanages that nobody wants but hey let's leave them there instead of letting a gay couple adopt them.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    god really screwed you over on that one
    Shit..... I bet if the time comes my southern ass can survive in the woods, kill my own food, and live off the land.

Many northern people wouldn't even know how to bait a hook.

Damn it now I hear A Country Boy Can Survive in my head.

^ Can you also run a trot-line?

... trot line?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I fail as a southern girl I can't do any of it except maybe spit some beechnut in that dude's eye.

^
    Just don't swallow that shit. I swallowed some Red Man one time and got drunk, then the sickness set in.
    Grimm would fail at it too, I see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information