Thread: Washington Times lies about President Obama's approval rating

Thumbs down Washington Times lies about President Obama's approval rating

EDITORIAL: Barack's in the basement - Washington Times

President Obama's media cheerleaders are hailing how loved he is. But at the 100-day mark of his presidency, Mr. Obama is the second-least-popular president in 40 years.

According to Gallup's April survey, Americans have a lower approval of Mr. Obama at this point than all but one president since Gallup began tracking this in 1969. The only new president less popular was Bill Clinton, who got off to a notoriously bad start after trying to force homosexuals on the military and a federal raid in Waco, Texas, that killed 86. Mr. Obama's current approval rating of 56 percent is only one tick higher than the 55-percent approval Mr. Clinton had during those crises.

As the attached chart shows, five presidents rated higher than Mr. Obama after 100 days in office. Ronald Reagan topped the charts in April 1981 with 67 percent approval. Following the Gipper, in order of popularity, were: Jimmy Carter with 63 percent in 1977; George W. Bush with 62 percent in 2001; Richard Nixon with 61 percent in 1969; and George H.W. Bush with 58 percent in 1989.

It's no surprise the liberal media aren't anxious to point out that their darling is less popular than George W. Bush. But given the Gallup numbers, their hurrahs could be more subdued. USA Today's front page touted the April poll results as positive, with the headline: "Public thinks highly of Obama." The current cover of Newsweek magazine ponders "The Secret of His [Mr. Obama's] Success."

The comparison with previous presidents is useful because they are usually popular during their first few months in office - and most presidents have been more popular than Mr. Obama.

The explanation for Mr. Obama's low approval is that he ran as a moderate but has governed from the far left. The fawning and self-deceiving press won't go there. On Sunday's "Meet the Press," host David Gregory asked a panel about critics who "would say one of the things that he's done in 100 days already is expand the role of government, the size of government." Historian Doris Kearns Goodwin claimed, "That's what he ran for the presidency in the first place for."

Perplexed about complaints over Mr. Obama's expansion of government, Newsweek editor Jon Meacham asked: "does no one listen during campaigns?"

It was these pundits who weren't paying attention during last year's campaign. In all three presidential debates, Mr. Obama promised to cut government spending and reduce the size of the deficit. He blamed the economic crisis on excessive deficits. At no time did candidate Barack Obama say that more deficit-spending was the solution.

Mr. Obama's popularity after 100 days is the second-lowest for a simple reason: He is more partisan and divisive than his predecessors - including Richard Nixon.
    ummm, yeah

1. 56% giving Obama an "Excellent" or "Good" job performance does not equate to a 56% approval rating, because if simply given the choice of "approve" or "disapprove", some of the people who said he did "Just OK" would "approve" if only given the binary choice.

2. Gallup ALSO measures approval rating -- you know, the metric you're using for historical comparison. Obama's current approval rating is 62% and the lowest ever was 59%.

Last edited by bychance; April 30th, 2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: wrong title

Elite Member

Bill Clinton, who got off to a notoriously bad start after trying to force homosexuals on the military and a federal raid in Waco, Texas, that killed 86.
    This "journalist" is an idiot. Just look at that poor sentence structure. Bill Clinton tried to force homosexuals on the military? Yeah, he went around to gay bars and loaded gays on trucks like chickens and drove them to military bases, then held military personnel at gunpoint until the gays were assigned uniforms and beds.

And also, the way this sentence reads, Bill Clinton was responsible for a federal raid in Waco, killing 86 poor innocent people who were just sitting around knitting.

Elite Member

Default re

This article is from the Washington Times, a conservative rag, not the Washington Post.

I guess they hoped that their name would make them sound like a cross between the Washington Post and the New York Times and give them a bit of credibility.

The washington times is a Moonie cult owned newspaper..

The US Senate was used for a bizarre ritual in which the Rev Sun Myung Moon, the head of the Unification church, was "crowned" and declared himself the messiah in the presence of more than a dozen Republican and Democratic members of Congress, it was reported yesterday.

"Emperors, kings and presidents ... have declared to all heaven and Earth that Reverend Sun Myung Moon is none other than humanity's saviour, messiah, returning Lord and true parent," the 85-year-old Korean "Moonie" cult leader told several hundred guests at the meeting in one of the Senate's office buildings on March 23, according to the Washington Post.

He also claimed endorsement from Marx, Lenin, Stalin and Hitler, who had all been reformed and reborn through his church's teachings - an idiosyncratic version of Christianity which rejects the use of the cross as a symbol and denounces homosexuals as "dirty dung-eating dogs".

An account of the ceremony was first published by a Washington investigative journalist, John Gorenfeld.

According to a transcript of the event, Mr Moon declared: "I am God's ambassador, sent to Earth with his full authority. I am sent to accomplish his command to save the world's six billion people, restoring them to Heaven with the original goodness in which they were created."

The glittering event in the Senate's Dirksen building reflected Mr Moon's extraordinary influence in US politics. He owns the conservative newspaper the Washington Times and the US news agency United Press International.

His fiercely conservative attitudes towards homosexuality and pre-marital sex have won him the endorsement of leading Republicans, including the president's father, George Bush, and John Ashcroft, the attorney general, who participated in one of Mr Moon's "prayer luncheons" days before the president's inauguration in January 2001.

Leading black Democrats also played a prominent role in the March ceremony.

An Illinois congressman, Danny Davis, wore white gloves and carried a purple cushion bearing a medieval-style "international crown of peace", which was placed on Mr Moon's head, at an event at which 100 Americans from 50 states were also given lesser "national" and "state" peace awards.

The event was an "innocent ceremony," Mr Davis told the Guardian. "It was a banquet to give out awards. I didn't have any way of knowing Reverend Moon would say he was the messiah, or whatever he said."

Mr Davis acknowledged that "three or four individuals directly related to Rev Moon" took part in a fund-raiser for his primary campaign in Illinois earlier this year, but said small sums of money were involved.

Other members of Congress who attended the event said they had been fooled into going by being told only that people from their constituencies would be honoured at the ceremony.

A spokeswoman for a Democratic senator from Minnesota, Mark Dayton, said: "We fell victim to it. We were duped."

It was unclear who gave permission for the Senate office building to be used.

During the ceremony Mr Moon invoked the blessing of all America's past presidents. He also claimed to have communed with other big names in history.

He told his audience: "The five great saints and other leaders in the spirit world, including communist leaders such as Marx and Lenin, who committed all manner of barbarity, and dictators such as Hitler and Stalin, have found strength in my teachings, mended their ways and been reborn as new persons."

It is not the first time he has claimed posthumous backing. His followers recently took out a two-page advertisement in the Washington Times to run a testimonial to him, quoting 36 former presidents "from the vantage point of heaven".

Moonie leader 'crowned' in Senate | World news | The Guardian
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

What is a Moonie?
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

A moonie is a devotee to the cult of Sum Myung Moon, the guy that owns the newspaper. Read my article. HILARIOUS.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh dear....*shakes head*
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Anyone can say they've enlightened the likes of Hitler and Stalin, because there's no way to disprove it. It's funny as hell because some people actually believe it to be true.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    This article is from the Washington Times, a conservative rag, not the Washington Post.

I guess they hoped that their name would make them sound like a cross between the Washington Post and the New York Times and give them a bit of credibility.
    Whoops! Thanks for letting me know, totally didn't catch that.

Elite Member

Bill Clinton tried to force homosexuals on the military? Yeah, he went around to gay bars and loaded gays on trucks like chickens and drove them to military bases, then held military personnel at gunpoint until the gays were assigned uniforms and beds.

More lies from the WA Times.

Thread Information