Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surprise! Conservatives are morons and don't know that The Colbert Report is satire

Red face Surprise! Conservatives are morons and don't know that The Colbert Report is satire

Last week, Stephen Colbert revisited a segment he had done on Florida Representative Bill Posey, who sponsored a bill that "would require future presidential candidates to provide a copy of their original birth certificate," in order to put insane rumors of President Barack Obama's birthplace to bed.

Colbert thought a similar measure should be taken to end the whisperings that Posey was a human-alligator hybrid. Posey, in response to Colbert, said, "I expected there would be some civil debate about it, but it wasn't civil...There is no reason to say that I'm the illegitimate grandson of an alligator." And one wondered, "Does Posey not realize that Colbert is not speaking in earnest? His reaction seems uniquely stupid!"

Stupid, yes. But apparently it's not unique at all, according to a study from The Ohio State University, which proves, with math and stuff, that lots of conservatives seem to not understand the intrinsic, underlying joke of The Colbert Report:

his study investigated biased message processing of political satire in The Colbert Report and the influence of political ideology on perceptions of Stephen Colbert. Results indicate that political ideology influences biased processing of ambiguous political messages and source in late-night comedy. Using data from an experiment (N = 332), we found that individual-level political ideology significantly predicted perceptions of Colbert's political ideology. Additionally, there was no significant difference between the groups in thinking Colbert was funny, but conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements. Conservatism also significantly predicted perceptions that Colbert disliked liberalism. Finally, a post hoc analysis revealed that perceptions of Colbert's political opinions fully mediated the relationship between political ideology and individual-level opinion.

I think a lot of conservatives are going to pissed when they realize that Stephen Colbert's performance at the 2006 White House Correspondents' Dinner was not, in fact, an awkward and ineffective attempt to praise President George W. Bush, but actually a bitter and satiric criticism of his incompetence!

Breaking News and Opinion on The Huffington Post
    *sighs and rubs temples*

Not surprised, but still... FUCKING DUH, people!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The first clue for Republicans that Colbert is satire should've been that he airs on Comedy Central. That's like believing that South Park really represents how kids act in Colorado.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Yeah, but it comes from the Huffington Post, which is as biased toward the left as Fox News is toward the right.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

^It's true that HP isn't nearly as biased as Fox News, but I'm still leary of their articles because you don't always know what type of agenda they're pushing, if any. But I guess most news is biased these days.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Yeah, Huffington Post may be skewed more to the left, but at least they haven't gone off the deep end the way Fox News has. Huffington Post will blast Democrats and Republicans, Fox doesn't have that kind of balance.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

HP is relatively balanced. In addition it makes no bones about which way it swings, unlike Faux News. In addition, it will take on anyone it thinks is fucked up, Dem or repug.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I could see why they'd be so confused-when right-wing talk show hosts and 'news presenters' are so out there as to resemble an Onion parody, it would make it difficult to actually identify satire.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Elite Member

I think a lot of conservatives are going to pissed when they realize that Stephen Colbert's performance at the 2006 White House Correspondents' Dinner was not, in fact, an awkward and ineffective attempt to praise President George W. Bush, but actually a bitter and satiric criticism of his incompetence!
    Colbert's performance wasn't just an excellent snarky critique of the Bush WH. It was also an even snarkier critique of the WH Press Corps.

I still think that Colbert's performance at the correspondent's dinner was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Who in the world ever thought to book him?

Hey if that Congressman can introduce that bill, can I get someone to introduce a bill that anybody who runs for federal office has to take an IQ test AND a common sense test? How offensive, grandchild of an aligator ooooooooh.

Really you all, do you really think conservatives watch Colbert? I doubt it.

just the stupid ones who think it's serious right wing nooz
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    But why do they repeatedly allow themselves to be booked on a show that airs on Comedy Central if they don't have any idea what the show is about? Anyone who goes on that show or to a lesser degree The Daily Show to have an earnest "civil debate" deserves however they come off looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    He manages to interview enough conservatives, so some of them are watching.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    But why do they repeatedly allow themselves to be booked on a show that airs on Comedy Central if they don't have any idea what the show is about? Anyone who goes on that show or to a lesser degree The Daily Show to have an earnest "civil debate" deserves however they come off looking.
    I couldn't tell you, I'm not them.

I don't find HP to be balanced. Sure, it's more balanced than FOX, but what kind of comparison is that. Talk about setting a low bar. Although, they have gotten slightly more balanced since the election.

They occasionaly throw out an anti-dem article, but they leave a lot of stories that are unflattering to dems off the site, giving certain topics no coverage. I read it, but then, I read many sites that I both agree and don't agree with.

Interestingly, Arianna Huffington is a member of the Movement of Spiritual Inner Awareness, a cult......it's an offshoot of Lifespring- another cult, founded by a former mormon.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 28th, 2009 at 08:34 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information