Thread: Sarah Palin does another thoughtless, stupid thing (good thing others are paying now!

Default Sarah Palin does another thoughtless, stupid thing (good thing others are paying now!

One of the most famous “thought experiments” in physics involves “Schroedinger’s cat“. It’s kind of a bizarre scenario in which quantum mechanics poses certain questions about subatomic particles, and what might happen if you could apply these principles to a living entity, and that it would result in this entity (a cat) being both alive and dead at the same time due to the mixing of quantum states. But that’s a post for another day (and another blog). However, in the spirit of Schroedinger, I would like to propose my own thought experiment involving a cat. It’s a political thought experiment, however, as I am utterly unqualified to discuss quantum mechanics.

Ready for today’s thought experiment? OK…..clear your mind.

Let’s say you’re the governor. And let’s say that you’ve had an ethics complaint filed against you. Oh. Right. You’ve had twelve ethics complaints filed against you, but we’ll just pick one for the purposes of our little exercise.

The one I want you to recall is the one we refer to as “Cat Gate”. That’s where Todd Palin allegedly gets a pile of cash, discounts and goodies from Arctic Cat to sponsor his snowmachine team in the Iron Dog race, where his wife, the governor officially starts the race decked out head to toe in…Arctic Cat gear, complete with “Sarah” embroidered on the jacket. Conflict of interest perhaps? We wait eagerly to hear what the investigation determines, because it’s still ongoing.

But let’s not talk about whether we agree or disagree if this complaint is valid. It’s not really relevant to this experiment, so let’s just suspend that part of the discussion. OK, so you’re the governor. You’ve had this ethics complaint filed. You’ve talked on and on about it, and the media has been all over you like stink on a monkey. The blogosphere’s on fire, you issue a press release calling the complaint “bogus”, and there’s lots of media coverage. To put it mildly, it’s a sore subject and its gotten lots of attention.

Fast forward a few weeks.

As governor, you’re ready to go participate in yet another beloved Alaskan outdoor event - the end of season spring carnival at the Alyeska Ski Resort known as “The Slush Cup”. It’s a fun time, and people head to Girdwood en masse to watch people dress up like Santa, or Richard Nixon in a G-string, or whatever silly thing they can think up, and ski across a big expanse of slushy water until they sink. It’s Alaska, what can I say? So there you stand in front of your closet full of outerwear, deciding what you are going to wear in front of the crowd and the TV cameras that are sure to be watching your every move …. Hmmm.

Here’s the question: What do you choose?

Do you

a) choose anything, I mean anything but the dreaded Arctic Cat jacket because you certainly don’t need any more pictures of you in that thing floating around and giving bloggers stuff to write about, or raising questions about where you got it and did you pay for it, and did you declare it as a gift….ugh. (The cat is dead)

or

b) choose the Arctic Cat jacket. (The cat is alive)

Schroedinger’s experiment is tricky. It’s hard to tell whether the cat is dead or alive, or both. This one isn’t. If you chose a, you’d be sensible, prudent and judicious. If you chose b, you’d be Sarah Palin.

Yes folks, she wore the jacket.

Might this rack up additional money for consultations with her legal team, you ask? Might this somehow be additional material for an ethics complaint? Wouldn’t she have to ask about that? And what about all those legal expenses piling up? She’s complained an awful lot about that… I mean surely she owns another jacket. Why take the chance? Wouldn’t she be a little more careful and wear something else?

One would think so. But then again, remember that she’ll no longer be paying for those legal fees herself. Joe and Jill Sixpack from around the nation are breaking open their piggy banks to give to her new legal expense fund. Phew! Now, unfettered by that burden, the governor is free to be thoughtless and imprudent at will, while others pay for it. Gone is the ‘distraction’ of worrying about what might add to those legal bills! Just put it on her tab.

What else will she do with this newfound freedom? A state gmail account perhaps? Buying back some of those snazzy campaign duds that are still sitting in garbage bags at the RNC headquarters? Todd for State Senate District B? And surely there must be someone else to fire for something….
    The Mudflats » A Sarah Palin Thought Experiment - The Cat Lives!

Elite Member

I love Mudflats. It's been a long time since I've come across a writer having so much fun skewering a politician.

Palin keeps the material coming, doesn't she?

Thank you McCain, for bringing us this rare gift. Just remember,karma is a bitch.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I read a comment at Mudflats to the effect that her lawyer tells her to do these things just so he can get more business. She's dumb enough to follow his advice. He'll be rolling in green for decades.

My god, maybe she should take some of that federal cash for sepcial needs education and enrol her dumbass self.

Maybe she's ramping up her advertising for Arctic Cat because she's counting on it to pay off those pesky legal bills.

My word, this woman's stupidity constantly amazes me.

Thread Information