Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Georgetown University asked to cover name of Jesus - White House request

Default Georgetown University asked to cover name of Jesus - White House request

Georgetown Covers Up Name of Jesus at White House Request4/17/2009
    Cardinal Newman Society (www.cardinalnewmansociety.org/)

This is not the first controversy surrounding religious imagery at Georgetown recently.

MANASSAS, Va. (Cardinal Newman Society) - Before President Barack Obama spoke on Tuesday, April 14, at Georgetown University, the White House asked that all signs and symbols be covered up at the Gaston Hall venue, CNSNews.com reports. In compliance with the request, the university covered over the monogram “IHS,” an ancient Christian symbol of the name of Jesus Christ.

“It is such a sad commentary that Catholic universities are willingly hiding the most visible signs of their Catholic identity when hosting secular leaders,” said Patrick Reilly, president of The Cardinal Newman Society. “What’s next, will Notre Dame cover images of Jesus and Mary and ban rosaries when they honor President Obama next month?”

The CNSNews.com story notes that Julie Green Bataille, associate vice president for communications at Georgetown, said, “In coordinating the logistical arrangements for yesterday’s event, Georgetown honored the White House staff’s request to cover all of the Georgetown University signage and symbols behind Gaston Hall stage.”

“The White House wanted a simple backdrop of flags and pipe and drape for the speech, consistent with what they’ve done for other policy speeches,” continued Bataille. “Frankly, the pipe and drape wasn’t high enough by itself to fully cover the IHS and cross above the GU seal and it seemed most respectful to have them covered so as not to be seen out of context.”

This is not the first controversy surrounding religious imagery at Georgetown recently. A prominent statue of Our Lady of Fatima was desecrated twice in less than a month at the university earlier this year. When the first desecration of the statue occurred, a group of concerned students organized a 24-hour prayer vigil in response, but students complained to The Cardinal Newman Society that the Georgetown administration’s response was tepid.
    Georgetown Covers Up Name of Jesus at White House Request - Catholic Online

oh lord. this will blow up in obama's face for sure.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

no it wont, it's normal. no head of government is going to appear to promote any religion.

duh
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

LMAO here comes the: Well you know if it were a Islamic symbol he'd do it. You know he's a Muslim right?

I wouldn't cover up shit. If he wanted to speak there fine, take it the way everyone else does, or keep your ass home.

No president is going to sit there and give a speech surrounded by religious symbols or icons.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Default re

Apparently this is part of a bigger issue that Jesuit colleges like Georgetown and Boston College face. From what I know, they do a great job of educating people and they don't cater specifically to Catholics. But they have to figure out how to make everyone comfortable.

That is a tough call. If Obama made a speech there with all the crucifixes etc. on the way, I don't think anyone would give a shit. At least, I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No president is going to sit there and give a speech surrounded by religious symbols or icons.
    Then why even go to a School with Catholic ties? Kinda silly.

^^ I agree.

It's a catholic university. ergo, there are catholic symbols about the place. he could have given the speech at a non secular college.

And if the President wishes to be non-sectarian, then why did that same speech mention Jesus, the Bible and the Sermon on the Mount??????

Consistency, thou art a jewel
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think it's a mistake. It's a venue that has it's origins in the Jesuit faith. Why cover it up?

*is astounded at the naivete on display here*

again, no president is going to sit there and give a speech surrounded or flanked by religious iconography, especially if it's going to be recorded. It's not good politics. Talking about religion is one thing, actively looking like you're promoting it on camera is another.

What's the big deal? It's not as though he is speaking from the White House - he's visiting a Jesuit university. If he was visiting a synagogue, then you'd expect imagery there as well. It's not naivete - it's overkill.

No, it's naivete. No president is going to do that, especially not one who's entire image is based on multiracial, multifaith, 'america is not a christian nation' PR work

he's not going to be seen promoting one religion over another on frigging camera.

If you are truly concerned with not appearing to promote one religion over another, than leaving out all religious references would be the way to achieve that.

If you want to sell the multiracial, multifaith, 'america is not a christian nation' PR spin, bringing Jesus and the Sermon on the Mount from the Christian bible up in your speech isn't really the way to get that message across.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Neither is speaking at a Catholic school.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information