Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iran leader sparks walkout at UN over Israel

Angry Iran leader sparks walkout at UN over Israel

so much for peace on earth good will towards mankind. anti-semitism is alive and well my friends!

Iran leader sparks walkout at UN over Israel

Play Video AP – Raw Video: Iran's leader sparks Western walkout

AP – United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon speaks at Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of …

By FRANK JORDANS, Associated Press Writer Frank Jordans, Associated Press Writer – 12 mins ago
    GENEVA – Dozens of Western diplomats walked out of a U.N. conference and a pair of rainbow-wigged protesters threw clown noses at Iran's president Monday when the hard-line leader called Israel the "most cruel and repressive racist regime."
    The United States decried the remarks by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as hateful — reinjecting tension into a relationship that had been warming after President Barack Obama sought to engage Iran in talks on its nuclear program and other issues.
    Ahmadinejad — the first government official to take the floor at the weeklong event in Geneva — delivered a rambling, half-hour speech that was by turns conciliatory and inflammatory. At one point he appealed for global unity in the fight against racism and then said the United States and Europe helped establish Israel after World War II at the expense of Palestinians.
    "They resorted to military aggression to make an entire nation homeless under the pretext of Jewish suffering," he said.
    Jewish groups had lobbied heavily for a boycott of the conference, warning it could descend into anti-Semitism or other anti-Israel rhetoric, which marred the last such conference eight years ago in South Africa.
    The meeting turned chaotic almost from the start when the two wigged protesters tossed the red clown noses at Ahmadinejad as he began his speech with a Muslim prayer. A Jewish student group from France said it had been trying to convey "the masquerade that this conference represents."
    One of the protesters shouted "You are a racist!" before he and the other demonstrator were taken away by security.
    Ahmadinejad interjected: "I call on all distinguished guests to forgive these ignorant people. They don't have enough information."
    During his speech, he accused Israel of being the "most cruel and repressive racist regime" and blamed the U.S. invasion of Iraq on a Zionist conspiracy.
    At the first mention of Israel, about 40 diplomats from Britain and France and other European Union countries exited the room.
    Most of his remarks were not new but their timing and high profile could complicate U.S. efforts to improve ties with Iran. Alejandro Wolff, the U.S. deputy ambassador to the U.N., denounced what he called "the Ahmadinejad spectacle."
    White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, asked by reporters about Ahmadinejad's remarks, replied: "Obviously, the president disagrees vehemently with what was said, as, from some of the video I saw, so did many others."
    Gibbs said it proved that the United States was right to boycott the conference. Germany, Italy and at least six other countries also refused to attend the event, which began on the eve of Israel's Holocaust Remembrance Day.
    "We call on the Iranian leadership to show much more measured, moderate, honest and constructive rhetoric when dealing with issues in the region, and not this type of vile, hateful, inciteful speech that we all saw," Wolff said at the U.N. in New York.
    Later, about 100 members of mainly pro-Israel and Jewish groups tried to block Ahmadinejad's entrance to a scheduled news conference.
    In a milder protest, Jewish groups outside the venue read out some of the names of the 6 million who died in the Holocaust.
    U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon met with Ahmadinejad before his speech and said he had counseled the Iranian leader to avoid dividing the conference. Ban later said he was disappointed the speech was used "to accuse, divide and even incite," directly opposing the aim of the meeting.

"It was a very troubling experience for me as a secretary-general," he said. "It was a totally unacceptable situation."
    The Israeli Foreign Ministry condemned the speech and Ban's meeting with Ahmadinejad.
    "It is unfortunate that U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon deemed it appropriate to meet with the greatest Holocaust denier of our time," the Foreign Ministry said. "This matter is especially severe, as it took place on the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day."
    Ahmadinejad has been praised by some in the Muslim world for his attacks on Israel. The hard-liner has often used international forums to criticize Israel.
    Most Muslim delegations in Geneva declined to comment, but Pakistan said the protesters were wrong to interrupt Ahmadinejad.
    "If we actually believe in freedom of expression, then he has the right to say what he wants to say," Ambassador Zamir Akram told The Associated Press. "There were things in there that a lot of people in the Muslim world would be in agreement with, for example the situation in Palestine, in Iraq and in Afghanistan, even if they don't agree with the way he said it."
    While the speech was interrupted several times by cheers from the large Iranian delegation, it may not be well-received among many others in Iran, which is suffering from high inflation and unemployment partly as a result of its global isolation. Many have criticized Ahmadinejad, who is up for re-election in June, for spending too much time on anti-Israel and anti-Western rhetoric and not enough on the country's economy.
    ___ Associated Press writers Bradley S. Klapper and Eliane Engeler in Geneva, and Edith M. Lederer at the United Nations contributed to this report.

Iran leader sparks walkout at UN over Israel
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Elite Member

Ok it was a meeting on racism and what does the idiot do get up and bash Israel instead of saying let's try to understand each other. He totally PURPOSEFULLY missed the whole point. He's so smug too, he has no Western nations on his side now I'm willing to bet, well maybe Austria or something.

Thats hilarious. The only reason he's "wrong" is because its the pot calling the kettle black. Israel IS a cruel and repressive racist regime, as is Iran. Ahmadinejad is a blithering idiot with a big mouth, but any scholar would be able to say the same thing (and does) regarding Israel. What I find amazing is that they took the time to play the Holocaust card once again, and can I say for the ONE HUNDREDTH time that an attack on Israel, the terrible regime that it is, is not always an attack on the Jews. Its almost like if you state the obvious - that Israel commits war crimes, kills innocent civilians, and commits crimes against humanity - they deter your logical observation by stating "oh, Jew hater!" The Holocaust card is always played to deflect from the fact that Israel has created its own Holocaust in the West Bank. But I guess to some people, its justified (as my eyes roll back in my head). Now in this particular case, they are right that he hates Jews. But the message is lost here, and a "solidarity" for a terrible oppressive regime like Israel is somehow forged because of this idiot. Thats the real crime here. Just because he's "wrong" does not somehow make Israel "right".
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I am sorry I don't agree that when a person condemns Israel they are not focusing on Jews mainly because it is considered a "Jewish state". We think of anti-semitism is only again Jews and that is correct in my book. HOWEVER, semite is a word to describe a person of that region and Israel is made up of all religions. So anti-semitism does not only mean against Jews although I have to say that that is the first thing that comes to my mind especially since I am of the Jewish faith. Today is Holocaust Rememberance Day so it does hit home that this asshole spoke the way he did is an insult to Jews around the world and Israel. I do have to say that I personally applaud those who got up and walked out. I don't see Israel as a cruel, repressive racist regime but of course I freely admit that I am partial when it comes to Israel. jmo.
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Well, we can politely agree to disagree then. I DO absolutely, 100% believe that Israel is a cruel and repressive regime and has committed egregious war crimes, in Lebanon and in the West Bank, amidst many others. But I hold great respect for people of all religions. I just don't like it being used as a shield to deflect any criticism. I think its a weak argument to say that an argument against Israel is an argument against Jewish people, and its a crime to do so because it just deflects from very real problems within the government. They massacred many, many innocent people and have much blood on their hands, and for once they need to be held accountable. Anti-semitism is often used as a deflection. I get worked up over this because when I see people dying and suffering, its absolutely appalling to me that people turn a blind eye or they can somehow justify it, I cannot understand that. I just can't watch human rights violations occur and give it a thumbs up or walk away.

I would absolutely agree to politely agree to disagree
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Deal.

I like "both countries are assholes"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The problem with Israel and the Palestinians is that both sides have hard-liners who have committed war crimes against the other group. Neither group is completely innocent or completely guilty.

Ahmadinejad interjected: "I call on all distinguished guests to forgive these ignorant people. They don't have enough information."
    This statement just has so many things wrong with it.

Gosh, what did they expect when they put this guy on center stage? Hugs and kisses? They knew damned well what he was going to say, so excuse the mock outrage.

True, but this was certainly the wrong forum for him to express that. Ahmadinejad is an ass anyway.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    True, but this was certainly the wrong forum for him to express that. Ahmadinejad is an ass anyway.
    I agree. By mock outrage I meant all the 'dignitaries' in attendance there at the conference. They all knew what he was all about so for them to be upset after is ridiculous (not those who walked out before he spoke).

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

he loves this shit little dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I like "both countries are assholes"

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    The problem with Israel and the Palestinians is that both sides have hard-liners who have committed war crimes against the other group. Neither group is completely innocent or completely guilty.
    Absolutely, but my problem with it is because Israel has the resources and the power, they commit war crimes on a MUCH larger scale, with a huge amount of civilian casualties. Like I've said before, its like a kid throwing a rock through the glass window of a house and the homeowners come out, steal his land and kill all of his neighbors. Now, thats not giving the Palestinians a pass, AT ALL. If the situation was reversed and they had the US giving them military aid, financial support, and they knew they wouldn't be punished for massive civilian casualties, they would do the same thing. Neither party is a victim here, they've both done wrong. But the difference is that Israel has the upper hand and likes to play it - a lot. Thats why I get angry at Israel the way I do. They love to exert their power in that region because they know they will never face any consequences, and they have the power and the aid to kill many more people than the Palestinians ever could. Plus they have them all boxed into one little area with no place to flee, but thats a whole other subject that seems to get ignored a lot.

Anyone else think it was a coincidence when they killed a massive amount of civilians, mainly women and children, in Gaza and then retreated days before Obama took office? They just wanted to get their kicks in one last time before Bushie left office, and they didn't know how Obama would respond to them committing acts against humanity. Right now they are trying to play nice for the moment until they can figure Obama out.

Elite Member

january, I like the way you think.

Both the radical Muslims and Israeli assholes benefit by this constant reference to the Holocaust. It's a fucking stalemate as soon as it is mentioned.

Let's treat Israel like an independent nation that does not represent all Jews. Let's make Israel take responsibility for it's actions as we would any other country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information