Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recession fueling right-wing extremism, U.S. says

Red face Recession fueling right-wing extremism, U.S. says

Recession fueling right-wing extremism, U.S. says | Reuters

Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:56pm BST

By Jane Sutton

MIAMI (Reuters) - Right-wing extremists in the United States are gaining new recruits by exploiting fears about the economy and the election of the first black U.S. president, the Department of Homeland Security warned in a report to law enforcement officials.

The April 7 report, which Reuters and other news media obtained on Tuesday, said such fears were driving a resurgence in "recruitment and radicalization activity" by white supremacist groups, antigovernment extremists and militia movements. It did not identify any by name.

DHS had no specific information about pending violence and said threats had so far been "largely rhetorical."

But it warned that home foreclosures, unemployment and other consequences of the economic recession "could create a fertile recruiting environment for right-wing extremists."

"To the extent that these factors persist, right-wing extremism is likely to grow in strength," DHS said.

The report warned that military veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with combat skills could be recruitment targets, especially those having trouble finding jobs or fitting back into civilian society.
    The department "is concerned that right-wing extremists will attempt to recruit and radicalize returning veterans in order to boost their violent capabilities," the report said.

DHS spokeswoman Sara Kuban said on Tuesday the report was one of an ongoing series of threat assessments aimed at "a greater understanding of violent radicalization in the U.S."

A similar assessment of left-wing radicals completed in January was distributed to federal, state and local police agencies at that time.
    "These assessments are done all the time, this is nothing unusual," Kuban said.

The Department of Homeland Security was formed in response to the September 11 attacks of 2001 and has focused largely on threats from Islamist extremists.

The report said domestic right-wing terrorist groups grew during the economic recession of the early 1990s but subsided as the economy improved.

Government scrutiny disrupted violent plots following the April 1995 bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma City by Army veteran Timothy McVeigh which killed 168 people.

LONE WOLVES

"Despite similarities to the climate of the 1990s, the threat posed by lone wolves and small terrorist cells is more pronounced than in past years," the report said.

The Internet has made it easier to locate specific targets, communicate with like-minded people and find information on bombs and weapons, it said.
    Extremist groups are preying on fears that President Barack Obama, the first African American U.S. president, would restrict gun ownership, boost immigration and expand social programs for minorities, the report said.
    It said such groups were also exploiting anti-Semitic sentiment with accusations that "a cabal of Jewish financial elites" had conspired to collapse the economy.

"This trend is likely to accelerate if the economy is perceived to worsen," the report said.

(Additional reporting by Randall Mikkelsen in Washington, editing by Jim Loney and Alan Elsner)

Thomson Reuters 2009 All rights reserved.
    Last edited by bychance; April 14th, 2009 at 05:40 PM.

They are all a bunch of lunatics with NOTHING better to do with their time. Sick.

This isn't a shock at all. Whenever the economy is bad right-wing idiots always lash out and try to blame the people who are 'different,' usually minorities. Obama just pisses them off even more.

yeah, nevermind it was them who caused it
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Right-wing polemicists today are shrieking in self-pitying protest over a new report from the Department of Homeland Security sent to local police forces which warns of growing "right-wing extremist activity." The report (.pdf) identifies attributes of these right-wing extremists, warning that a growing domestic threat of violence and terrorism "may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single-issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration" and "groups that reject federal authority in favor of state or local authority."

Conservatives have responded to this disclosure as though they're on the train to FEMA camps. The Right's leading political philosopher and intellectual historian, Jonah Goldberg, invokes fellow right-wing giant Ronald Reagan and says: "Here we go Again," protesting that "this seems so nakedly ideological." Michelle Malkin, who spent the last eight years cheering on every domestic surveillance and police state program she could find, announces that it's "Confirmed: The Obama DHS hit job on conservatives is real!" Lead-War-on-Terror-cheerleader Glenn Reynolds warns that DHS -- as a result of this report (but not, apparently, anything that happened over the last eight years) -- now considers the Constitution to be a "subversive manifesto." Super Tough Guy Civilization-Warrior Mark Steyn has already concocted an elaborate, detailed martyr fantasy in which his house is surrounded by Obama-dispatched, bomb-wielding federal agents. Malkin's Hot Air stomps its feet about all "the smears listed in the new DHS warning about 'right-wing extremism.'"

It's certainly true that federal police efforts directed at domestic political movements -- even ones with a history of inspiring violence in both the distant and recent past -- require real vigilance and oversight, and it's also true that the DHS description of these groups seems excessively broad with the potential for mischief. But the political faction screeching about the dangers of the DHS is the same one that spent the last eight years vastly expanding the domestic Surveillance State and federal police powers in every area. DHS -- and the still-creepy phrase "homeland security" -- became George Bush's calling card. The Republicans won the 2002 election by demonizing those who opposed its creation. All of the enabling legislation underlying this Surveillance State -- from the Patriot Act to the Military Commissions Act, from the various FISA "reforms" to massive increases in domestic "counter-Terrorism" programs -- are the spawns of the very right-wing movement that today is petrified that this is all being directed at them.

When you cheer on a Surveillance State, you have no grounds to complain when it turns its eyes on you. If you create a massive and wildly empowered domestic surveillance apparatus, it's going to monitor and investigate domestic political activity. That's its nature.

The ultimate reaping of what one sows: right-wing edition - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com
    Awww, just remember righties, what you've been telling EVERYBODY ELSE SINCE YOU CREATED THIS SHIT... "if you haven't done anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Michelle Malkin, who spent the last eight years cheering on every domestic surveillance and police state program she could find, announces that it's "Confirmed: The Obama DHS hit job on conservatives is real!"
    Michelle Malkin needs to look in a mirror and realize that she's not the right image of the right-wing poster-child.

I know, an asian chick cheering on th concept of concentration camps.

Dumbfuck whore.

Sounds like Left wing drivel to me. Whenever one side is in power, the other complains about it, and when it switches, the other side complains about it. Some amount of gripes as there ever was.
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

Yeah, except the actual number of weapons sold has jumped 5 fold, and there's been a massive uptick in far right hate groups, racists, and other things.

That's not left wing dribble. That's reality.

When Bush got into power, you didn't see hippies going out to buy automatic weapons and forming militias.

I don't see anyone forming militias now, and the reason why the gun sales jumped is because Obama has stated he has an anti-gun stance. So, everyone is rushing to buy them before it becomes illegal to do so.
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

wtf, did you look out your window? Do you have access to the DHS database so you can track militias? Do you have Southern Povery Law center agents out in the field?

secondly, that's crap. It's a right-wing nutjob meme that's been floating around that Obama has already laughed at. If anything he's going to REINSTATE the ban on automatic weapons, such as machine guns (which nobody living in civil society fucking NEEDS and didn't 10 years ago when the ban was in place).

Yes, I looked out my window. No militias.

When people protested Bush, by and large they used their arms to raise peace signs. These people protesting Obama are raising guns in the air and purposely bringing weapons to the demonstrations.

maybe there'll be a massacre. that would be just too bad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information