Thread: Courts give Al Franken the MN Senate seat

Default Courts give Al Franken the MN Senate seat

It was just announced on CNN. I'm sure the print story will be up soon.
    Last edited by greysfang; April 13th, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

that's awesome news.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

what are they giving to Tom Davis?
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Judges say Franken is winner of Senate race

ST. PAUL, Minnesota (CNN) -- A three-judge panel ruled Monday against Republican Norm Coleman in his dispute with Democrat Al Franken over who should be declared the winner of the U.S. Senate race in Minnesota.
    GOP Sen. Norm Coleman, left, and Democrat Al Franken are in a battle for a Minnesota Senate seat.

The judges determined that "Franken is entitled to receive the certificate of election" after defeating Coleman by 312 votes.

The Minnesota secretary of state is unlikely to issue that certificate, however, until all legal proceedings have been completed. Coleman has 10 days to appeal the 68-page ruling to the state Supreme Court and could opt to continue into the federal arena if he loses at the state level.

Defense attorney Ben Ginsberg told CNN that the court's order "wrongly disenfranchised" thousands of voters.

"The court's ruling tonight is consistent with how they've ruled throughout this case but inconsistent with the Minnesota tradition of enfranchising voters," he said. "This order ignores the reality of what happened in the counties and cities on Election Day in terms of counting the votes.

"By its own terms, the court has included votes it has found to be 'illegal' in the contest to remain included in the final counts from Election Day, and equal protection and due process concerns have been ignored. For these reasons, we must appeal to the Minnesota Supreme Court so that no voter is left behind."

Franken, saying he was confident he would eventually be certified, urged Coleman not to appeal and to "let me get to work as soon as possible."

"The campaign for this Senate seat has been long and expensive," he told reporters outside his home. "The fight ahead, the fight to rebuild our economy and broken healthcare system and to restore our standing in the world, that's a fight we must win. It's a fight we must win by setting aside partisan gamesmanship and working together."
    Coleman, the freshman senator who's seeking a second term, led Franken after Election Day by 215 votes out of nearly 3 million cast in the contest.

That tiny margin triggered an automatic recount, which took nearly two months to complete.

Franken, the progressive radio talk show host, comedian, and former cast member of "Saturday Night Live," led by 225 votes after the statewide recount results were announced at the beginning of this year.

Coleman contested the results and took the case to court. The key issue in the proceedings was whether some rejected absentee ballots should have been included in the recount.

Earlier in the process, the panel allowed the addition of more than 300 wrongly excluded absentee ballots, resulting in 198 more votes for Franken and 111 more for Coleman. But Monday's decision dismisses Coleman's complaint and orders him to pay attorneys' fees.

The court rejected Coleman's arguments that Minnesota's election laws violate the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution, acknowledging that some errors were made but that the simple fact of an error does not automatically rise to the level of a violation.

"Equal protection does not guarantee a perfect election," the judges wrote. cnn.com
    The story is finally up.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

god, about fucking time
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

What the hell - those teeth...thank god I'm not wearing my 3-D glasses or I might suffer whiplash, they look like they are coming right out of the screen at me..............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh, about damn time, congratualtions Senator Franken.

And it only took over 5 months after the election. Ahh, democracy at work.

It's about time.

Elite Member

Will Coleman finally back down, or will he continue to be a sore loser?

From the initial aftermath last night, his lawyers were still talking shit. We'll see what happens now that the sun is up.

he's not conceding
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    what are they giving to Tom Davis?
    I definitely laughed at that. I bet Tom Davis has a trailer right next to Marilyn Chambers'.

I had forgotten this was still going on. But hey I am happy it turned out this way.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    he's not conceding
    omfg, why am i not surprised. *bangs head on wall*
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    Will Coleman finally back down, or will he continue to be a sore loser?
    Sore loser. Not really surprising since his political career has the range of losing to a wrestler, beating a dead guy and tying a comedian.

Thread Information