Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vatican blocks Caroline Kennedy appointment as US ambassador

Default Vatican blocks Caroline Kennedy appointment as US ambassador

The Vatican has blocked the appointment of Caroline Kennedy as US ambassador, according to reports.

By Alex Spillius in Washington
    Last Updated: 8:37AM BST 11 Apr 2009

Caroline Kennedy Photo: REUTERS

Vatican sources told Il Giornale that their support for abortion disqualified Ms Kennedy and other Roman Catholics President Barack Obama had been seeking to appoint.

Mr Obama was reportedly seeking to reward John F Kennedy's daughter, who publicly gave her support to his election bid. She had been poised to replace Hillary Clinton as New York senator, but dropped out amid criticism that she lacked enough experience for the job.

The Italian paper said that the Vatican strongly disapproved of Mr Obama's support for abortion and stem cell research. The impasse over the ambassadorial appointment threatens to cloud his meeting with the Pope during a G8 summit in Itay in July.

Ms Kennedy, 53, has said that she supports abortion. Raymond Flynn, a former US ambassador to the Vatican, said earlier this week that Ms Kennedy would be a poor choice.

"It's imperative, it's essential that the person who represents us to the Holy See be a person who has pro-life values. I hope the President doesn't make that mistake," he told the Boston Herald. "She said she was pro-choice. I don't assume she's going to change that, which is problematic."

The White House refused to comment.

Vatican blocks Caroline Kennedy appointment as US ambassador - Telegraph

Can the Vatican actually block her appointment? Or is this article just using a poor choice of words?

*raises an eyebrow*

I'd say "you take who we send or you have no diplomatic contact whatsoever"

not even a real country anyway
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    The Vatican has blocked the appointment of Caroline Kennedy as US ambassador, according to reports.

By Alex Spillius in Washington
    Last Updated: 8:37AM BST 11 Apr 2009

Caroline Kennedy Photo: REUTERS

Vatican sources told Il Giornale that their support for abortion disqualified Ms Kennedy and other Roman Catholics President Barack Obama had been seeking to appoint.

Mr Obama was reportedly seeking to reward John F Kennedy's daughter, who publicly gave her support to his election bid. She had been poised to replace Hillary Clinton as New York senator, but dropped out amid criticism that she lacked enough experience for the job.

The Italian paper said that the Vatican strongly disapproved of Mr Obama's support for abortion and stem cell research. The impasse over the ambassadorial appointment threatens to cloud his meeting with the Pope during a G8 summit in Itay in July.

Ms Kennedy, 53, has said that she supports abortion. Raymond Flynn, a former US ambassador to the Vatican, said earlier this week that Ms Kennedy would be a poor choice.

"It's imperative, it's essential that the person who represents us to the Holy See be a person who has pro-life values. I hope the President doesn't make that mistake," he told the Boston Herald. "She said she was pro-choice. I don't assume she's going to change that, which is problematic."

The White House refused to comment.

Vatican blocks Caroline Kennedy appointment as US ambassador - Telegraph

Can the Vatican actually block her appointment? Or is this article just using a poor choice of words?
    Pro-choice Catholic Ambassador to the Vatican, isn't a good look for Catholicism, so maybe..they can

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

How does the receiving "country" have ANY say in who an ambassador is? Plus, how the heck are there any ambassadors to vatican city? The "city"/"country" is a building.

This is just the vatican trying to be relevant.

I didn't know that the vatican had an ambassador
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I can't remember I saw the words "Vatican" and "relevant" in the same sentence. Thanks for providing that, MontanaMama.

I didn't think the country had any say in who we appointed to be ambassador to it.

And to say the Vatican is a country is just embarrassing to them. It's like saying ambassador to Zenu.
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Pippin69 View Post
    I didn't think the country had any say in who we appointed to be ambassador to it.

And to say the Vatican is a country is just embarrassing to them. It's like saying ambassador to Zenu.
    Word. Screw em. I'd rather be ambassador to Antarctica than the Vatican.

She's only 53?!

Showed the pic to Mr. Azoria and asked him who he thought it was. He guessed Tina Louise, the now wizened 75 year old ex-Ginger from Gilligans Island.

Egads, Caroline Kennedy looks decades older than her age.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Yeah, I have way fewer wrinkles and I'm 58. Of course the fat cheeks fill out the wrinkles.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Well, if they "reject" Caroline Kennedy, can we send them Gloria Steinem instead?

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    She's only 53?!

Showed the pic to Mr. Azoria and asked him who he thought it was. He guessed Tina Louise, the now wizened 75 year old ex-Ginger from Gilligans Island.

Egads, Caroline Kennedy looks decades older than her age.
    yeah time doesn't seem to have been her friend
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

I guess the Vatican could refuse to work with her if she was appointed US ambassador to the Vatican, but I would think that would just make the Vatican look bad.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Quote Originally Posted by viggofan View Post
    yeah time doesn't seem to have been her friend
    Looks like she never used moisturizer.

Wow, from the looks of that picture, time has not been kind to her skin... I'd put her at 65 in that picture. Jeez.

The Vatican needs to step the fuck off... you get what you get, deal with it. Why do they even need an Ambassador? They're pretty much a legalized theocracy anyhow... isn't their legal system based in Canonical Law?.. no need for a government liaison at all IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information