Thread: Marine fights to wear dress blues at high school graduation

Default Marine fights to wear dress blues at high school graduation

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ance-cpol.html

Marine Lance Cpl. Garrett Miles-McCarthy graduated from boot camp in San Diego only last month but he is already in his first battle: against his hometown school board. The 18-year-old wants to wear his dress blues uniform at his high school graduation ceremony in El Paso, Texas. He finished his coursework in December and immediately shipped out to Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego.
    School officials have said no, that all grads have to wear cap and gown, no exceptions. The mayor, a local congressman and others are backing Miles-McCarthy, who says wearing the uniform will show his pride in being a Marine and his support for his father, a career soldier bound for Iraq.
    The school board will take up the red-hot issue Tuesday, the same day Miles-McCarthy is set to return to duty for advance training.

Elite Member

Who cares? It's not like he's trying to wear a tie dye tshirt and sandals.

Let him wear his uniform - get a grip you fucktards. That's something he's proud of, and why not let him do it?
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Why not let the Eagle Scouts wear their uniform, girl scouts too. An eagle scout worked for years and years to get that award, not a few months. Forget it, there are many times to wear that uniform proudly, your high school graduation ceremony is not one of them. Wear it under the cap and gown if he wants.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    Why not let the Eagle Scouts wear their uniform, girl scouts too. An eagle scout worked for years and years to get that award, not a few months. Forget it, there are many times to wear that uniform proudly, your high school graduation ceremony is not one of them. Wear it under the cap and gown if he wants.
    As a girl scout from a daisy to my graduation (my dirty little secret) I would NOT have wanted to wear my girl scout uniform LOL! I just don't see it as a big deal, especially in a time of war.

sorry, but i think he's wrong. this is a time and a place for high school stuff, not Marine stuff. while i'm sure everyone in the free world is proud of him for getting ready to serve his country, he spent (i assume) 4 years in high school, and THAT should be his priority. Its not fair to the other students that he get to 'stand out'. The other students worked to graduate, but dont get to wear special uniforms or outfits. He needs to clam up and be a student one last time.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    sorry, but i think he's wrong. this is a time and a place for high school stuff, not Marine stuff. while i'm sure everyone in the free world is proud of him for getting ready to serve his country, he spent (i assume) 4 years in high school, and THAT should be his priority. Its not fair to the other students that he get to 'stand out'. The other students worked to graduate, but dont get to wear special uniforms or outfits. He needs to clam up and be a student one last time.
    agreed.

If a kid got an exception to the dress code to wear their military uniform at my graduation, sure as hell I would want an exception to wear anti-war garb. Fair is fair.

How about he just wear his dress uniform under his cap and gown? This isn't a military academy ceremony.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

^ that's what i was thinking.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

How nice for their school district that they don't have other things to worry about. Our school district is trying to figure out how to cover a $2-$3 million shortfall next year. His uniform is respectful, who cares if he wants to wear it? I bet half his classmates will be in boxers with white tape on their mortar boards writing out something intelligent like "'09 Rox"

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    How nice for their school district that they don't have other things to worry about. Our school district is trying to figure out how to cover a $2-$3 million shortfall next year. His uniform is respectful, who cares if he wants to wear it? I bet half his classmates will be in boxers with white tape on their mortar boards writing out something intelligent like "'09 Rox"
    So true.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

in a world so crazed about other things this is nothing. I say let the kid wear his uniform. who is he hurting. and if they are determined to not let him then I agree with him wearing it under his gown. my first choice however is to let him wear it.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

Thread Information