Thread: President Obama holds seder to mark Passover

Default President Obama holds seder to mark Passover

MSNBC.com

Obama holds seder to mark Passover
    Close friends, staff join president for traditional meal at White House

The Associated Press
    updated 5:11 p.m. PT, Thurs., April 9, 2009

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama hosted close friends and staff at a private White House meal Thursday evening to mark Passover. It’s part of the new president’s effort to reach out to Jewish voters.

The White House said the Seder meal was traditional, including matzo, bitter herbs, a roasted egg and greens in the family dining room in the executive mansion. The evening also featured the reading of the Haggadah, the religious text of the holiday.

Passover began at sundown Wednesday. It celebrates the Jewish exodus from Egypt after 400 years of slavery.

Among those invited was Valerie Jarrett, one of Obama’s closest advisers, and family friend Eric Whitaker, who was visiting from Chicago and attended a Seder last year with the campaign. First lady Michelle Obama and the family’s two daughters also planned to attend.

The staff guest list included aides from the campaign trail who marked last year’s Passover at the Sheraton hotel in Harrisburg, Pa. Obama’s personal aide, Reggie Love; Michelle Obama’s deputy chief of staff, Melissa Winter; personal aide Dana Lewis and associate social secretary Samantha Tubman all received invitations.

Also on the guest list were Eric Lesser, a personal aide to senior adviser David Axelrod, and his family. Lesser worked during the New Hampshire primary and later handled baggage for traveling reporters. White House videographer Arun Chaudhary — a constant presence on the trail — landed invitations for his family.

Others in the exclusive group included Michelle Obama’s counsel and friend Susan Sher; Herbie Ziskend, a staff assistant to Vice President Joe Biden’s policy and economic advisers; and White House deputy director of advance and special events Lisa Kohnke.

White House aides said they believe it was the first president-hosted Seder at the White House.

Two of the administration's highest-profile members of the Jewish faith were to miss the dinner. Obama chief of staff Rahm Emanuel did not plan to attend and Axelrod expected to be in Chicago with his family.

The White House says the seder meal will be traditional, including matzo, bitter herbs, a roasted egg and greens in the family dining room in the executive mansion. The evening will feature the reading of the Haggadah, the religious text of the holiday.

Obama's move won quick praise from the National Jewish Democratic Council.

"By hosting the first presidential seder in America's history, President Barack Obama shows the personal and deep relationship he has with the Jewish community," said Alexis C. Rice, the group's deputy executive director.

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30129000/

MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2009 MSNBC.com

oh bull, it's just good PR

Wait till Ramadan comes around
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I think this an elegant gesture and I am pleased to hear this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Did they clear the leven out of the Whitehouse? Good gesture sure but a motive also as with most politicians
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

hey, the wiccans are on the phone, they want to know if they can celebrate Beltaine at the white house
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

This is a nice gesture IMO. You sure as hell didn't see Shrub do anything like this.

don't be silly, wiccans aren't a focus of foreign policy
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^

too bad, a maypole would look awesome on the front lawn
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I thought it was great. I've never heard of the White House doing anything like that. The Obama's have real style, true class and know how to set an example. PR or not, they looked like they were having a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^^

too bad, a maypole would look awesome on the front lawn
    And naked dancing under a full spring moon.

Thread Information