Thread: Sarah Palin targets Barack Obama's proposed cuts to missile defense

Default Sarah Palin targets Barack Obama's proposed cuts to missile defense

(CNN) Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin’s office reacted Monday to North Korea’s rocket test with a statement that “reaffirmed Alaska’s commitment to protecting America from rogue nation missile attacks.”
    Palin herself criticized proposed Obama administration cuts proposed to missile defense programs. “I am deeply concerned with North Korea’s development and testing program which has clear potential of impacting Alaska, a sovereign state of the United States, with a potentially nuclear armed warhead,” she said in the statement. “I can’t emphasize enough how important it is that we continue to develop and perfect the global missile defense network. Alaska’s strategic location and the system in place here have proven invaluable in defending the nation….

“Our early opposition to reduced funding for the Missile Defense Agency is proving to be well-founded during this turbulent time. I continue to support the development and implementation of a defensive missile shield based in Alaska. We are strategically placed to defend the critical assets of the United States and our allies in the Pacific Theater.”
    The statement also stressed Palin’s request for stimulus funds for a commercial rocket launch facility owned and operated by a public corporation of the state of Alaska.
    Palin targets proposed Obama cuts to missile defense
    Who the hell is depending on Alaska to defend anything?

Uh, the answer would be the US Military is depending on Alaska to defend the US.

In the mid-90's the Defense Department under Clinton decided that Anti Ballistic Missile defense sites should be in Alaska (and N. Dakota), due to it's proximity to N. Korea and Iran- the two countries assumed to pose the largest threat. So they started setting up interceptor missles there, a program which still exists now. Like the 49th Missile Defense Battalion at Ft. Greeley. It's considered our first line of defense against missile attacks.

Alaska was also long considered a defensive strong point dating back to WW2 due to it's placement in the Pacific rim, and during the cold war, as it was near the USSR.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 7th, 2009 at 12:46 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Alaska is a critical part of NORAD also.

Rogue attacks.
    Remember during the campaign when Sarah was going "ROGUE?" Good times.

Why is she talking?

Sarah Palin targets Barack Obama's proposed cuts to missile defense
    Oh, STFU, you white trash reject. Your 15 minutes were up LAST YEAR!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Why is she talking?
    Because she can't STFU!

Why does she care? She can see Russia from her house!
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

I guess having Russia within sight of her hot tub isn't so appealing when missiles can interrupt her bubble bath now.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Uh, the answer would be the US Military is depending on Alaska to defend the US.

In the mid-90's the Defense Department under Clinton decided that Anti Ballistic Missile defense sites should be in Alaska (and N. Dakota), due to it's proximity to N. Korea and Iran- the two countries assumed to pose the largest threat. So they started setting up interceptor missles there, a program which still exists now. Like the 49th Missile Defense Battalion at Ft. Greeley. It's considered our first line of defense against missile attacks.

Alaska was also long considered a defensive strong point dating back to WW2 due to it's placement in the Pacific rim, and during the cold war, as it was near the USSR.
    Alaska isn't going to be defending us from anybody, despite what some in the military may have planned in the past. That's like counting on Alaska to 'keep an eye on Russia' due to the fact they're such close neighbors.

Missile defense is such a huge waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Alaska isn't going to be defending us from anybody, despite what some in the military may have planned in the past. That's like counting on Alaska to 'keep an eye on Russia' due to the fact they're such close neighbors.

It's not the past. It's the present

The 49th Missile Defense Battalion at Ft. Greeley is there now, and was placed there in 2004. It's the US's largest deployed and operational ballistic missile defense site. It's manned by Alaska's national guard troops reporting to 100th Missile Defense Brigade in Colorado.

And then of course, there's a little thing called NORAD, in which Alaska plays a huge part. Elmendorf Air Force Base, for example, which is one of the 3 NORAD stations in the US and Canada.

Dislike of Palin doesn't change those facts. It has absolutely nothing to do with Palin.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    Why does she care? She can see Russia from her house!
    If you are going to quote her at least get it right.
    She never said she could see Russia from HER HOUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Alaska is going to be important for a while, and for a variety of reasons - both military and economic. Because Russia was foolish enough to sell Alaska to us in the first place, we are one of the countries that is currently laying a claim to North Pole mineral assets - which are huge and are more attainable due to global warming.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear soon about minor military skirmishes as Russia continues to aggressively plant titanium poles on seabed's close to the Alaska border.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    It's not the past. It's the present

The 49th Missile Defense Battalion at Ft. Greeley is there now, and was placed there in 2004. It's the US's largest deployed and operational ballistic missile defense site. It's manned by Alaska's national guard troops reporting to 100th Missile Defense Brigade in Colorado.

And then of course, there's a little thing called NORAD, in which Alaska plays a huge part. Elmendorf Air Force Base, for example, which is one of the 3 NORAD stations in the US and Canada.

Dislike of Palin doesn't change those facts. It has absolutely nothing to do with Palin.
    That's right, my dislike of Palin automatically means that I just write Alaska off.

Regardless of that little thing called NORAD, which I've heard a little about in my time,' I'm still not counting on Alaska as the 'first line of defense.' My writing Alaska off has more to do with the fact that it's a state with more wildlife than people, so I'm not expecting much from it in regards to defense of the nation.

So, you can continue to go to Wikipedia and find out facts about Alaska to share but that's not going to change my perspective.

Thread Information