Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Obama fried chicken' joints ruffle feathers in New York

Default 'Obama fried chicken' joints ruffle feathers in New York

'Obama fried chicken' joints ruffle feathers in New York - Los Angeles Times

A councilman and activist demand that restaurants stop using the president's name and fame in predominantly black neighborhoods or they will conduct protests of racial stereotyping.
    Associated Press April 4, 2009

New York -- Two New York City fried chicken restaurants in predominantly black neighborhoods are under fire for putting President Obama's name on their signs.

City Councilman Charles Barron said Friday that he would organize a demonstration next week outside Obama Fried Chicken in his Brooklyn district. Organizers said they also may target Obama Fried Chicken & Pizza in Harlem.

"People from the community were calling me and saying they were outraged by this racist connection to Barack Obama and fried chicken," Barron said. "If you think that free speech gives you the right to insult and degrade us and stereotype us, then you've got a battle on your hands."

At Obama Fried Chicken & Pizza on Friday, the "O" and the "A" had been filled in so that the awning sign read "Bam" instead of the president's name.

The person working the counter said the owner was not available. Employees still were answering the phone by saying "Obama's."

At Obama Fried Chicken in Brooklyn, the person who answered the phone said the owner could not be reached.

Kevin McCall, a community activist who has been working with Barron to organize the protest, said he had spoken with the owner of Obama Fried Chicken, which was Royal Fried Chicken until recently.

McCall said the owner promised the sign would change on Sunday. If it doesn't, McCall and Barron say, they will rally on Monday.

The White House did not comment on the racial controversy over the New York restaurant names, but spokesman Ben LaBolt said the administration disapproves of using "the president's name and likeness for commercial purposes."

You get a black president, and some morons decide to name a chicken places after him to capitalize on his name. Forget the fact that they can't legally use his name on a business without his consent, it's just stupid. Idiots.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    in north carolina for the next 2 years >.<

I bet the owners were black. It's no big deal really.

unless it's an obama fryin them chickens personally, no sale
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brackish View Post
    I bet they weren't, they might have blacks working there, but the owners are people who think that anything with Obama's name on it will sell...in that 'hood'. Fried chicken carryouts in black neighborhoods are usually owned by people of other ethnic groups...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Black or not, it's still a big deal. Actually, I think it's worse if the owners are black.

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    I bet they weren't, they might have blacks working there, but the owners are people who think that anything with Obama's name on it will sell...in that 'hood'. Fried chicken carryouts in black neighborhoods are usually owned by people of other ethnic groups...
    Exactly. There's this one chicken place that runs ads in the paper I help run, and the owner is greek.

*tries to picture Obama in chef's hat,fying chicken. Fails.*
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I bet Obama doesnt even eat fried chicken. I think he eats healthy...?
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

They had to think of some sort of gimmick to get a leg up on Popeye's. But Popeye's chicken sandwich is delicious, the Obama chicken idea failed, back to the drawing board for them.
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by chattykathy View Post
    But Popeye's chicken sandwich is delicious
    i love their mashed potatoes and gravy. yum
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Black or not, it's still a big deal. Actually, I think it's worse if the owners are black.

Exactly. There's this one chicken place that runs ads in the paper I help run, and the owner is greek.
    Why is it a big deal? It's worse if the owners are black? They are being racist to themselves?

Why is it a big deal? It's worse if the owners are black? They are being racist to themselves?
    It's ignorant, and disrespectful. No matter what ethnicity is selling it, but to try and profit using the first black President's name to sell FRIED chicken in black neighborhoods is perpetuating a stereotype in the worse way!! Shit isn't funny!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think it is and I'm not racist but whatever you say.

I think it's worse because it's just pure stupidity on the part of any black person to name a fried chicken place after Obama. It's not about them being 'racist to themselves.' I don't know where you got that from, but whatever.

Dear God, what hasn't been named Obama since he won?

Obama coins
    Obama sneakers
    Obama chapstick
    Obama wine
    Obama Butter
    Obama Jam
    Obama papertowel holders
    Obama earrings
    Obama, Obama, Obama....

and now it just happens to be Obama chicken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information