Thread: Pres Obama to Wall Street: My admin is the only thing between you and the pitchforks

Wink Pres Obama to Wall Street: My admin is the only thing between you and the pitchforks

The bankers struggled to make themselves clear to the president of the United States.

Arrayed around a long mahogany table in the White House state dining room last week, the CEOs of the most powerful financial institutions in the world offered several explanations for paying high salaries to their employees — and, by extension, to themselves.

“These are complicated companies,” one CEO said. Offered another: “We’re competing for talent on an international market.”

But President Barack Obama wasn’t in a mood to hear them out. He stopped the conversation and offered a blunt reminder of the public’s reaction to such explanations. “Be careful how you make those statements, gentlemen. The public isn’t buying that.”

“My administration,” the president added, “is the only thing between you and the pitchforks.”

The fresh details of the meeting — some never before revealed — come from an account provided to POLITICO by one of the participants. A second source inside the meeting confirmed the details, and two other sources familiar with the meeting offered additional information.

The accounts demonstrate that despite the public comments on both sides that the meeting was cordial, the tone in the room was in fact one of mutual wariness. The titans of finance — men used to being the most powerful man in almost any room — sized up a new president who made clear in ways big and small that he expected them to change their ways.

There were signs from the outset that this was a business event, not a social gathering. At each place around the table sat a single glass of water. No ice. For those who finished their glass, no refills were offered. There was no group photograph taken of the CEOs with the president, which typically happens at ceremonial White House gatherings but not at serious strategy sessions.

“The only way they could have sent a more Spartan message is if they had served bread along with the water,” says a person who attended the meeting. “The signal from Obama’s body language and demeanor was, ‘I’m the president, and you’re not.’”

According to the accounts of sources inside the room, President Obama told the CEOs exactly what he expects from them, and pushed back forcefully when they attempted to defend Wall Street’s legendarily high-paying ways.

Inside Obama's bank CEOs meeting - Eamon Javers - POLITICO.com
    interesting. could be just leaked posturing for optics.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

*Cracks up*

This ain't biz as usual, boyz. Get over yourselves and your whiny, ancient, self-indulgent methods of doing business. Or GET OUT of the business.

Elite Member

My impression of Obama, and you guys may think I'm deluded/naive, is that he isn't just another greedy politician...it's just a feeling, but I don't think he can be bought. I think he may have had to play the game a bit in Chicago, but now that he's President I don't think he has any interest in protecting the rich good old boy network.

He's already rich, primarily through book sales, and he is guaranteed high income from book sales and speaking fees for many years to come, like Bill Clinton. I don't see him kissing ass for money.

Frankly now that I think about it, I think the only reason Bill Clinton played the game at all was because of Hillary's political aspirations.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong

eh. I'm naturally skeptical.

While this sounded cool, it also feels to me like a bit of an act given how up in arms people are over what appears to be Wall Street getting everything they want.

Someone wanted this whole tough guy bit to be leaked to repair some of the damage that Obama's own team has been doing to his image with their stupidity
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    My impression of Obama, and you guys may think I'm deluded/naive, is that he isn't just another greedy politician...it's just a feeling, but I don't think he can be bought. I think he may have had to play the game a bit in Chicago, but now that he's President I don't think he has any interest in protecting the rich good old boy network.

He's already rich, primarily through book sales, and he is guaranteed high income from book sales and speaking fees for many years to come, like Bill Clinton. I don't see him kissing ass for money.

Frankly now that I think about it, I think the only reason Bill Clinton played the game at all was because of Hillary's political aspirations.

I always thought this too. That's why I caucused for him.

I loved hearing this. These CEOs have been running and ruining our economy now for a long time and to have Obama telling them that they better rethink their strategy? It has to have rubbed many of them the wrong way. It's about time!!

I am feeling free to tell you that your right!
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

He's also not a career politician - I think he has very little political experience beyond his 2 years as a junior senator - so he's not or doesn't appear to be drunk with power, greed and self righteousness we see with the regular "inside the Beltway" establishment.

I can't help but like Obama. Granted, his administration has had some serious missteps so far but I think he's starting to get his sea legs and appears sincerely earnest in his desire to get the country back on track. A lot can happen in 4 years, including his potential political corruption. It's going to be an interesting few years.

Elite Member

Interesting. Bill is a mystery to me. I lived in DC for part of his administration, talked to a lot of people about him. I still don't know why Bill don't pull out the stops and charge into the policy changes he confronted during his campaigns.

Clinton is possibly the best public speaker I've ever seen - in a spontaneous setting. Was it all fluff? I really don't know.

Maybe Bill just wanted to be an Ark state supreme court justice (who could fool around with the help) and Hill pushed him hard for other things?

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    Interesting. Bill is a mystery to me. I lived in DC for part of his administration, talked to a lot of people about him. I still don't know why Bill don't pull out the stops and charge into the policy changes he confronted during his campaigns.

Clinton is possibly the best public speaker I've ever seen - in a spontaneous setting. Was it all fluff? I really don't know.

Maybe Bill just wanted to be an Ark state supreme court justice (who could fool around with the help) and Hill pushed him hard for other things?
    I always got the feeling that Bill & Hillary were equally ambitious, and they both knew the other could help them reach their goals. They are the definition of a power couple.

It sounds like he was intimidating them to me." Do it my way, or I will throw you to the irate mob. "
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by chattykathy View Post
    It sounds like he was intimidating them to me." Do it my way, or I will throw you to the irate mob. "
    Um, yeah!

Thread Information