Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF? Julianne Moore cast as Sarah Palin in new HBO movie

Ed Harris is McCain???? I guess I'd need to see him in character makeup to imagine that.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin -- FIRST LOOK!

Check out Julianne Moore’s transformation into Sarah Palin in the teaser for the upcoming HBO flick Game Change!
    The 51-year-old actress stars opposite Ed Harris (who plays John McCain) and Woody Harrelson (adviser Steve Schmidt) in the flick based on the 2010 book of the same name.
    Game Change centers around the 2008 elections, following the Arizona senator’s presidential bid and decision to select Sarah, then governor of Alaska, as his running mate.
    n terms of the research I did on the way campaigns are conducted, so much is about how do you get on the air, how do you get the most media attention, how do you make the most noise,” Julianne told ABC News in October. “When in fact, what we’re all looking for is leadership, we don’t want noise. We want people who are going to take care of us.”
    [I]Game Change comes to HBO sometime this March!

[YOUTUBE]V4YlDkCIoIs[/YOUTUBE]

Julianne Moore as Sarah Palin — FIRST LOOK! | Ed Harris, Julianne Moore, Sarah Palin, Woody Harrelson : Just Jared

Silver Member

I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    The film, directed by Jay Roach and written by Danny Strong, is based on the bestselling book of the same name. Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman are executive producers.
    Could it be Jonathan from Buffy? IMDB says yes!
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

fgg

Julianne Moore Nails Sarah Palin in Game Change: Review

No one doubted that Julianne Moore would nail the physical details playing Sarah Palin in Game Change, about the Alaska governor's astonishing explosion on the political scene in 2008 as John McCain’s running mate.

So, yes, she does "the voice," which is flat yet nasal. But that's just the starting point. Moore is an unusual actress: At her best – and she is here – she's completely empathetic but also mysteriously remote. Her Palin from moment to moment is absolutely real – but always open to interpretation.

Members of the "lame-stream media," as Palin famously labeled them, will enjoy the satirical touches that glint like light off her spectacles. (When Palin finally pronounces Ahmadinejad correctly, the campaign staff applauds.)

But you don't have to be a Tea Partier to sympathize as Palin comes close to a breakdown after being mocked nationally for her ignorance: In Change's best scene, Palin watches in mute despair and disgust as Tina Fey impersonates her on TV. The point, of course, is that we believe Moore is Palin.

The movie itself isn't great – Ed Harris is given a white comb-over and little to do as McCain – yet it plausibly lays out Palin's path from unsteady candidate to confident (or arrogant) rogue player. Comparisons to The Iron Lady, a sloppy movie that has Meryl Streep in roaring good form, are inevitable. Is Game Change better? You betcha.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I've only seen advertisements for the show, but Moore's transformation into (and impression of) Palin is epic.

fgg

Sarah Palin, John McCain Disparage HBO's Game Change

Neither appears to have seen it, but Sarah Palin and John McCain both took shots this weekend at Game Change, the HBO movie about their unsuccessful 2008 presidential campaign. The film premiered Saturday night.

Palin, 48, portrayed in the film by Julianne Moore, told Fox News before the premiere that she was "not concerned about an HBO movie based on a false narrative when there are so many other things to be concerned about."

She added: "I believe my family has the right priorities and knows what really matters. For instance, our son called from Afghanistan yesterday and he sounded good, and that's what matters. Being in the good graces of Hollywood's 'Team Obama' isn't top of my list."

Despite the movie's depiction of him as a compassionate man, McCain, 75, took issue with how he is characterized – based on what he's heard – and also objected to the notion that he selected Palin as his running mate simply because she was a woman.

"I have been told I am portrayed as using an exceeding amount of coarse language," the Arizona senator, who is played in the film by Ed Harris, told Fox News. "I don't use coarse language very often. I have a larger vocabulary than that."

Of Palin, he said: "I thought she was best qualified person. ... I'm grateful that she ran with me, and I will always be proud of what we did."

Many former aides from the McCain-Palin campaign have blasted the movie – based on the book of the same name by journalists John Heilemann and Mark Halperin – as borderline fiction that paints their former bosses in an unfair light. But one aide, Nicolle Wallace, disagreed.

She told ABC's This Week that Game Change was "true enough to make me squirm." She added: "This is a movie about the vast gray area where 99 percent of our politics actually takes place. You're just feeling your way though a gray area and doing your best and that campaign was one of those instances for me."
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Hit By Ban Bus!

I don't think she nailed her voice the way Tina Fey did. Actually she sounds a lot like the Boston character she played on 30 Rock. Looks interesting though.

I enjoyed it. McCain sure comes off as being a dumbass though.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

They got the Palin character 75% right. First, I don't think she's that loving with her family or Todd, and second, they didn't make her mean enough. The only time you get a glimpse of how mean she is really is right before she's going to go on stage at the debate and she is looking over at Biden with pure hate. To be more authentic, they should've showed her angrier and more hateful during her speeches. She is gleeful in her hatred and divisiveness. Even the RNC speech had an undercurrent of spiteful bitchiness. I just don't think that was captured.

Elite Member

i think overall moore was excellent. its hard to nail someone 100%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information