Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Writers react to The Sopranos' ending -- David Chase not taking any calls

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

well according to the ending he did live. he's living and dealing w/ daily problems (like those indictments possibly coming up).

I want to know what is the interpretation of this finale by people who are implying others can't appreciate this ending beause they're not smart enough or need everything spelled out for them in black and white. What is it that those people are missing, according to those who consider themselves smart enough to appreciate it, or not feel cheated by the anti-climactic ending?

Sometimes I think you build up the greatness and the quality of something so much in your mind that it's really hard to admit that it could have been much better/fell short of expectations. It does feel like whatever the writer's intent was maybe ended up too convoluted to be clear, not just that some people couldn't understand what he intended. Plus by refusing to discuss it, he just drums up publicity and controversy, and people who followed the show for years still end up not understanding what he meant to do.

It reminds me of the Seinfeld ending, which I thought was pretty blah also, but at least that show was upfront that it was about "nothing," so it kind of fit with the show's theme. This smacked of copping out of an explanation at least, if not of copping out of coming up with a definitive ending.

Silver Member

Dear God, I never ever said that those who understood it were intellectually superior to those who didn't. Read what I wrote. It clearly states that I was asking, asking, asking,as to maybe there was more to it than the obvious. I was looking for simple debate in regards to the show. Not posts stating that I said you were dumb as a doorknob if you didn't get it. It is quite obvious that the only one that got it was David Chase. It clearly is left open for interpretation. Sheesh.

beeyotch isn't dumb y'all!

No, no, I get that you weren't actually accusing that some people are too dumb to get it or can't grasp the layers beneath the surface,etc. , although I know others will think more or less that.

I just want to turn it around, if it's possible that the line of thinking applies. What did people who didn't feel disappointed get out of it? If there were Cliffs notes to this finale, what would they say? I want to hear people's interpretations, since the writer himself is refusing to give us his.

*eta, I think maybe we're actually asking the same thing in a weird convoluted way.

I just can't believe this finale caused the uproar that it caused; its mindboggling!

Silver Member

Goes to show you how much people loved this show. Opinions and passions are very strong. I agree with you Beeyotch, that logic applies both ways. That is why I made the comment black or white. That ending is all gray. I couldn't tell you why it ended the way it did. I could get super smart, run back all seasons and give you an academic analysis. It wouldn't make me right or wrong. It means I need to get a life, but it would still be how I perceived it. By smart ending, I meant with all the reality shows and junk on t.v., have we forgot what it means to actually have to think about what it could have meant? I guess it was more an opinion/question on the state of t.v. than the Sopranos ending. Hugs and kisses all around!! Sorry if I offended anyone, just looking for some discussion.

I think he might get assaulted about this if someone decides to go all Misery on his ass...okay, maybe just barraged with questions about it for a very long time considering how deeply people were into the show. He can't avoid everyone forever. And people want answers, even if it's "boring" (no big bloodbaths or shootouts), like Alice's suggested explanation that they just go on living the inevitable gangster business as usual type thing. I mean, at least it would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by simplekindoflovely View Post
    While I agree that the ending may have been too mysterious for some to handle, that doesn't mean that it was well-done. When the episode ended, I felt extremely cheated, not just because the increasing tension led up to nothing on-screen, but because there were so many inferences being made throughout the episode that I couldn't help feeling disappointed. Paulie kept making these sad faces, like he had just sold Tony out. The fact that the storyline didn't go that way just makes the writing for the previous episode flawed - why would Phil choose to whack Bobby before Paulie? Bobby had only just had his first hit this season, when he killed the Canadian in the laundromat. Why not go after Paulie, who poses a much bigger threat? And why the strange editing in the final scene, between the diner and Meadow's failed car-parking? It was just very manipulative on Chase's part. And wow, Journey to end the series? That was embarrassing.

I appreciate the fact that Chase expects his audience to be smart enough to "understand" his ending. What I have a problem with is the fact that Chase didn't choose a definite ending. Tony could have lived, died, gone to prison, whatever. I don't like the fact that I choose how it ends - I'm not the writer, and no matter what I think, there will always be that, "well, maybe I'm wrong" in the back of my head. That ruins it for me. This was one of the most important and poignant shows on television - why have the entire series come down to a Goosebumps' "Choose The Ending" finale?

I just would have appreciated a definite ending. I feel Chase copped out because he either A) couldn't decide what to do with Tony and co., or B) half-expects there to be a follow-up project and wanted to keep his options open. I'm glad he's being crucified by the press, because that episode was nothing more than a huge disappointment. Knowing what I do now, I wish the series had ended with "The Blue Comet" - Tony dozing off in his safe house with a gun is so much better.

I'm with ya on this one, except for the Journey ending. I actually liked "Don't Stop Believing". And i don't think I need things dumbed down for me either. I genuinely did not watch for the killing at all. In fact, i became so attached to some of the characters that it bothered me when they died. I generally don't like violence. I only started watching The Sopranos because of my husband, but I loved the depth of the characters and that it showed all their layers. What I didn't like about the finale was the left basically up to each person to end for themselves. Like simplekindoflovely stated "I'm not the writer..." Sometimes I watch shows to unwind and expect the writer to do their job. If I wanted to write the damn thing, i'd submit my script and expect a paycheck. I respect that Chase may have had some "artistic vision" or whatever, but it does not change the fact that i do feel cheated. I didn't expect all my questions and expectations to be answered or fulfilled, but I didn't expect to feel this disappointed.

I think David Chase knew that people were going to be pissed off with the ending he chose, that's why he made sure that he was out of the country in France when the finale aired. Coward.

If he chose to end the show the way he did, which is his right, then he should've stuck around for the praise and complaints, instead of hiding in another country and then getting all defensive about the uproar.

Eli

Can I ask, as someone who plans to watch the show some day, what was so shocking about it ending suddenly? I might youtube it.

^ well for one thing a lot of ppl want a nice wrapped present w/ a giant bow for finales of their loved shows. Another thing, a lot of ppl predicted something worse and/or more definitive happening to the main character. I think it was a shocker for a lot of sheep, i mean american viewers

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Can I ask, as someone who plans to watch the show some day, what was so shocking about it ending suddenly? I might youtube it.
    What was shocking about the sudden ending to a lot of people was that Chase and HBO had made the audience believe that there was going to be this big finish. They cranked up the tension throughout the episode, especially in the final minutes, and then just went to black. And the way they did it, it made a lot of people think the cable had gone out.

Now, as a writer myself, I understand the ends and outs of trying to wrap up plotlines, characters, etc. But I also understand that when you have an audience who has invested their time into the story you're telling that you have to give them some closure in a finale. Whether they like the closure depends on each person's taste, but at least, there's a sense of finality to a story that the writer chose to end.
    Last edited by kingcap72; June 13th, 2007 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    What was shocking about the sudden ending to a lot of people was that Chase and HBO had made the audience believe that there was going to be this big finish. They cranked up the tension throughout the episode, especially in the final minutes, and then just went to black. And the way they did it, it made a lot of people think the cable had gone out.

Now, as a writer myself, I understand the ends and outs of trying to wrap of plotlines, characters, etc. But I also understand that when you have an audience who has invested their time into the story you're telling that you have to give them some closure in a finale. Whether they like the closure depends on each person's taste, but at least, there's a sense of finality to a story that the writer chose to end.

Yes. It's like reading a book with the last page missing.

Bronze Member

I would have been totally cool with Tony NOT getting killed. I totally agree with the people who felt like the finale need not have any major bloodbath for it to be satisfactory.
    Then why those stupid 5 seconds where the screen goes blank? Why the 5 seconds of emptiness where the show cuts off at such a weird place in the shot? What purpose do those empty 5 seconds serve?
    This whole business of leaving it up to the audience's interpretation strikes me as really lazy. What is the whole purpose of any ending then? Why bother? Why take the trouble of crafting any coherent plot? Why not leave it all the audience's interpretation?
    I think those 5 seconds are a cop out where David Chase decided not to take a stand either way because he felt the pressure to end with a bloodbath and yet he wanted to stay honest to his own vision and have Tony live his life as usual, and in the end he picked neither path and simply sat on the fence and left it to the audience to interpret whatever they wanted. That's cowardice. Sometimes it's appropriate to leave something to an audience's interpretation. This time, it just wasn't. This was not one of Tony's dream sequences. It's not a cubist painting. This is a show that has prided itself on realism. You can't pull a bait-and-switch like that at the last minute.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information