Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Worst movie accents

Zee

John Travolta in Hairspray. Vinnie Barbarino doing Baltimore- not pretty.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Anyone that thinks Cate sounded 'Southern" in The Gift has clearly never been to the South.
    I'm from the south but I can't really tell a fake Georgia or North Carolina accent from a real one. I can usually tell a fake Texas accent from a real one but I'm from Dallas, and most of the people around here aren't even from Texas anyway. They're from California or New York.

I'm from Georgia and thought Cate did a pretty good job.

Much better than most of the fake southern accents I've heard.

Gold Member

I watched Sliding Doors over the weekend and I reiterate that Gwyneth Paltrow's accent in that movie is horrible. It's sofa king fake that it's a distraction.

Also didn't like when Jeanne Tripplehorn's character tried to use English slang. "I stubbed my toe on the SHAGGING bath." Uh...just say "fucking", ok?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Dialect laughing: 16 horrible movie accents

From Harrison Ford's Russian in ''K-19'' to Kevin Costner's British in ''Robin Hood'' and 14 other hard-to-comprehend turns: Here's what you get when bad dialects happen to good actors

HEATHER GRAHAM
    Miss Conception (2008)

Heather Graham with a British accent? Can you say Miss Take? There's a reason the trailer features the actress speaking only five lines (four of which are less than six words long).

ANGELINA JOLIE
    Alexander (2004)

Alexander ''huh?'' moment No. 1: Colin Farrell with blond hair?
    Alexander ''huh?'' moment No. 2: Angelina Jolie as Farrell's mother?
    Alexander ''huh?'' moment No. 3: Wait, does Jolie's character actually want to sleep with her son?
    Alexander ''huh?'' moment No. 4: What's up with Jolie's strange, purring drawl?
    Alexander ''huh?'' moment No. 5: Why did we see this again?

KEVIN COSTNER
    Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)

If Kevin Costner was too short on time to polish his English accent, as he claims in the DVD commentary, he shouldn't have put his sad effort on the big screen. But he did (kind of). His accent in the 1991 film faded in and out more times than a Waterworld moviegoer. There was, however, one upside to his bizarre inflection in the film — it spawned Cary Elwes' famous line in Mel Brooks' 1993 spoof, Robin Hood: Men in Tights: ''Unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent.''

BRAD PITT
    The Devil's Own (1997)

Sorry, what? Did you say something? Brad Pitt — in his prime, Sexiest Man Alive years — wasn't believable as a suave Irish terrorist? Hmm…somehow we were too distracted to notice. So pretty...

STEVE MARTIN
    The Pink Panther (2006)

True, Steve Martin's over-the-top French accent increased the funny factor of the flawed 2006 remake, but we can't let him off too easy, as we'd be hard-pressed to find a Frenchman would twist the pronunciation of hamburger into damburgen.

TOM CRUISE
    Far and Away (1992)

Tom Cruise dodged a bullet with Valkyrie — wisely opting to play his German officer with an American accent — so his worst attempt at an accent remains as Irishman Joseph Donnelly opposite Nicole Kidman in Ron Howard's off-key immigrant song.

KEANU REEVES
    Dracula (1992)

Whoa, Keanu. After mangling a British accent in Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula redux, you chose to give it another try in 1993's Much Ado About Nothing? Stick to kung fu, bruh.

JESSICA SIMPSON
    The Dukes of Hazzard (2005)

It's fairly obvious there were two key reasons why Jessica Simpson was cast as Daisy Duke in the 2005 comedy, but after seeing the film, we know one of those reasons was definitely not her less-than-convincing Southern twang. But Simpson was recognized for her work with two award nominations — at the 26th annual Razzies.

ADAM SANDLER
    The Waterboy (1998)

Our mamas told us we shouldn't see this poorly received football comedy. Too bad we didn't listen: We'd rather eat an alligator than watch Adam Sandler attempt a Louisiana accent again.

MEL GIBSON
    Braveheart (1995)

Aussie Mel Gibson's Scottish intonation in this Oscar-winning picture was so ineffectual, native Scots voted it one of the worst of all time in a survey conducted by film memorabilia website As Worn In.

HARRISON FORD
    K-19: The Widowmaker (2002)

Harrison Ford + bad Russian accent + $100 million budget action flick = $35 million total domestic gross. 'Nuff said.

CATE BLANCHETT
    The Man Who Cried (2000)

We're not sure what's more exaggerated in the 2000 drama — Cate Blanchett's overdone makeup, or her wholly unbelievable Russian inflection.

SHANNON ELIZABETH
    American Pie 1 and 2 (1999-2001)

We know what you're thinking: Shannon Elizabeth talked in the 1999 sex-romp comedy? For those of you who might have been too distracted admiring her — ahem — assets to notice, yes, she had a few lines as an exchange student with a thick accent. And a bad one at that. Only a real boob would believe she hailed from Czechoslovakia.

DICK VAN DYKE
    Mary Poppins (1964)

It's impossible not to look back at Dick Van Dyke's chimney-sweeping performance in the kiddie musical with fondness. But it's also impossible not to notice his terrible attempt at a cockney accent, which often faded in the film before you could utter supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. What can we say? The sound of it was definitely something quite atrocious.

JOHN MALKOVICH
    Rounders (1998)

Too bad when John Cusack et al. journeyed inside the mind of the actor in 1999's Being John Malkovich, they didn't learn how he adopted that over-the-top Russian drawl while playing Teddy KGB in John Dahl's poker flick — the accent was so outrageous, it was altogether too easy to call his bluff

MICKEY ROONEY
    Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

For a film that boasts so much class (That black dress! That dreamy ''Moon River'' rendition!), it's hard to believe Tiffany's producers would stoop so low by casting Mickey Rooney as Holly's stereotypical Japanese neighbor. Not only was he not the slightest bit believable as a native Japanese speaker in the 1961 classic, but he managed to offend droves of film critics and moviegoers as well.

SOURCE

omg i loved Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, but yeah that accent was hysterical.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Steve Martin was purposely trying to be funny with the French accent, so he gets a free pass. Also, (and I hate defending him) Tom Cruise's accent in Far and Away wasn't that bad imo. I've seen that movie several times, and I always forget that he's just an actor pretending to be Irish. Maybe it's just me though.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

They forgot:
    Kevin Costner in JFK
    Kevin Costner in Thirteen Days
    Kevin Costner in every damn thing he's in that requires his non-normal voice.

A*O

Keanu is pitiful in Dracula - acting AND accent. Thingy Van Lesbian is also crap in Meeeery Boppins.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

What about Julia Roberts in Mary Reilly and Michael Collins. Gifted with accents she is not.

I can't hate on Adam Sandler in the Waterboy...I LOVE that movie. Guilty pleasure.

A*O

I'd do Adam Sandler. That's MY guilty secret.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I'd do Adam Sandler. That's MY guilty secret.

One of my friends crushes on him too, so you're not alone.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    What about Julia Roberts in Mary Reilly and Michael Collins. Gifted with accents she is not.
    And Steel Magnolia's! Bitch is from Smyrna, Georgia for crying out loud, but sounded like a trailer park Scarlett O'Hara in that film.

Elite Member

LMAO! I guess Far and Away wasn't THAT bad, but Valkyrie I think he did try for like 10 seconds and it was BAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

I liked Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information