Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst movie accents

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    What I remember of that is that everyone in the movie had an English accent, except Costner. I remember him just keeping his regular speaking voice, so he sounds like some random American in the English countryside.

I could be wrong, though, because Alan Rickman is in that movie, so all my attention was focused elsewhere.
    So he didn't even attempt to be English At least he could admit he can't do it I suppose. Alan Rickman was amazing in that film

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoveFeatheredRaven View Post
    Anyone doing a fake Southern accent. They all sound like Vivien Leight (whom I love) doing Scarlett O'Hara...and hers sucked too btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Agreed. Most are way over the top and don't sound anywhere near real. In fact, I don't recall ever hearing an actor get it right unless they were actually from the South - Brits come the closest to getting it right, though.

Cate Blanchett in The Gift is the only passable Southern accent I've seen in a movie. She nailed it. Even actors from the South can't do Southern accents because not all Southern accents are the same. Someone from Georgia isn't going to sound like someone from Louisiana or Texas (I'm looking at you, Julia Roberts.)

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    My friend was complaining last night that she watched Gangs of New York but getting through it was rough due to Leonardo DiCaprio's "Irish" accent.
    I watched that the other night too--DiCaprio delivered only half his lines in an irish accent. Not half as terrible as Cameron Diaz' accent in that one, though

And they all were put to miserable shame by Daniel Day-Lewis
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

Colin in Miami Vice. I love Colin but it was so funny. All his lines were like 3 words at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    DiCaprio in Blood Diamond
    Going to disagree on that one. I thought DiCaprio was great in Blood Diamond. I also think he did a great Boston accent in The Departed.

Brad Pitt doing the Jamaican accent in Meet Joe Black. Damn near pissed myself with laughter. The only highlight of that three hour pile of dung.

I thought Tim Robbins was very good in Mystic River. I didn't find his accent horrendous or anything. His performance was SO much better than showy Penn's, too.

There's something comforting about Dick Van Dyke's bad accent in "Mary Poppins." It makes me happy. I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Going to disagree on that one. I thought DiCaprio was great in Blood Diamond. I also think he did a great Boston accent in The Departed.
    He was fantastic in Blood Diamond, the accent, however, sucked balls...when it was present. Ask any South African what they thought of his accent.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I always get annoyed with the Texas accents in movies. They are always these twangy, redneck accents. I'm from Houston and I don't know ANYONE who talks like that or even has an accent.

Think Hilary Duff. She grew up in the same area as I did. The way she talks is the way I talk and all of my friends talk. And then we have dumbasses like Jessica Simpson, who BIG TIME plays up her "accent" when she thinks people will think it's cute, perpetuating the stereotype.

Varsity Blues is a good example of a Texas movie with accents that made me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Varsity Blues is a good example of a Texas movie with accents that made me cringe.
    "I don't want your life" hahahaha that's always makes me cringe too. James Van Der Beek should have kept his mouth closed that whole movie.

I also cannot stand Tom Cruise in Far and Away, everything he said annoyed me. Especially when he was yelling "Shannnnnnnnoooooooonnnnnnnnnn"
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

How about Lucas Black in Tokyo Drift? I wanted to stab my ears out every time he opened his mouth.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

angelina jolie in anything she does!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I always get annoyed with the Texas accents in movies. They are always these twangy, redneck accents. I'm from Houston and I don't know ANYONE who talks like that or even has an accent.

Think Hilary Duff. She grew up in the same area as I did. The way she talks is the way I talk and all of my friends talk. And then we have dumbasses like Jessica Simpson, who BIG TIME plays up her "accent" when she thinks people will think it's cute, perpetuating the stereotype.

I'm right there with you. I live in Houston now but I'm originally from Louisiana. NO ONE can get a Louisiana accent right. They all end up sounding like everyone in Louisiana recently immigrated from the Piedmont region of North Carolina. The worst accent ever I can think of is Heath Ledger in Monster's Ball. He was trying for a Louisiana accent, but it was so far off mark I don't even know what accent it was supposed to be.

As for Texas accents, I just saw a preview for Charlie Wilson's War in which Julia Roberts plays a wealthy Texas woman. Her accent would have sounded great had she been playing a wealthy Georgian woman. She did the same thing in Steel Magnolias. "I'll just use my regular speaking voice. It's Southern."

Perhaps I'm being too picky, though.

^ I didn't even know each state had their own accents. I figured southern accent meant from the south... Interesting though

So what does a Virginia accent sound like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

The Texas accents bug the shit out of me too... but I sound like a valley girl/sailor/southerner/& sometimes British wtf? that occaisionally says "fuck, yall!"
    The accents in 300 and Alexander were absolutely horrid!
    Each region has it's own... even regions of each state.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information