Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Like Tree622Likes

Thread: What to watch (Hulu, Netflix, Prime, even old fashioned TV)

I watched a documentary on Prime called, "Mississippi Madam: The Life of Nellie Jackson." I had never heard of this woman, but she was something else. She ran brothels in several states and only catered to white men because she said if she had black customers, the law would shut her down. The Johns would line up around the block for an encounter with the girls that worked for her. She died a tragic and strange death at 80.
    Beeyotch likes this.

Started watching Derry Girls. It's really cute.
    Waterslide and fgg like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    I watched a documentary on Prime called, "Mississippi Madam: The Life of Nellie Jackson." I had never heard of this woman, but she was something else. She ran brothels in several states and only catered to white men because she said if she had black customers, the law would shut her down. The Johns would line up around the block for an encounter with the girls that worked for her. She died a tragic and strange death at 80.
    I watched that too. Not a great documentary, but yeah the subject matter was riveting. That kind of thing probably happened way more than we think.

My favorite line was from a customer recounting his experience trying to patronize Miss Nellie's establishment after a late night out on the town: "We knocked on the back door and asked if we could come in have some beers. The girl who answered said "We don't sell beer, we sell pussy. When you wanna buy some of that, come back."
    ShimmeringGlow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Started watching Derry Girls. It's really cute.
    I started watching it and enjoyed the first few episodes, but I can't get past the main character's constant bitch-face - sometimes she looks like a 45 year old, which can be a little jarring in a show about schoolgirls.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    Eddie Murphy was excellent in "Dolemite is My Name." I was able to forget that the person I was watching was Eddie Murphy, became his role. This movie took me back to when my sister and I were little. My Dad ran a club like those depicted in the movie and the people reminded me of his friends, people that worked hard, drank hard and partied and laughed hard.
    This was so freakin good.
    Daphodil and Beeyotch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I watched that too. Not a great documentary, but yeah the subject matter was riveting. That kind of thing probably happened way more than we think.

My favorite line was from a customer recounting his experience trying to patronize Miss Nellie's establishment after a late night out on the town: "We knocked on the back door and asked if we could come in have some beers. The girl who answered said "We don't sell beer, we sell pussy. When you wanna buy some of that, come back."
    I wanted to know more about her social activism for people of color which was completely at odds with how she ran her "business". Some of her customers were known Klansman that were marching in the streets with their hoods on.
    Last edited by ShimmeringGlow; November 10th, 2019 at 04:25 PM.
    Beeyotch likes this.

Yeah very true, but I get that she had to bend however the wind blew, being black and a business woman. I mean, it's a line I could never have walked, so good for her keeping an eye on the goal. The goal being not only business-savvy, but survival.
    holly likes this.

Is no one watching Watchmen?? I'm so confused!!
    fgg likes this.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

I've started watching Catherine the Great but I'm just not feeling Helen Mirren in the lead. She's too old to be playing a woman who's supposed to be only 10 years older than her lover, but she looks like his grandma (with freakishly tight skin). I would have much preferred Gina McKee (who plays her closest friend) in the role - she's old enough, but far more grand and regal looking, and I could believe that Potemkin falls madly in love with her. I'm struggling to get through Episode 2.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Watch the first episode of His Dark Materials now waiting for another one...

I started watching a CBS show called Evil. It stars the guy who played Luke Cage on Netflix and I'm liking it so far. Its on the new CBS All Access app, which I got so I could watch more football games live. I'm also watching the old Survivor on it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I watched Russian Doll and loved it.
    Natasha Lyonne is amazing in this!

I binge watched s05 of Breaking Bad over the weekend. There are only three episodes left, I can't believe I'm almost done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    Is no one watching Watchmen?? I'm so confused!!
    You're not alone, I have to pause every 10 minutes to explain to my boyfriend XD
    After seeing episode 5 though, I'd say they bring in more of the graphic novel now, which might make it easier for those who haven't read it

I'm also watching His Dark Materials, so far it's really good and a very faithful adaptation. My only problem is with the main actress, I can't decide if I think she's a bad actress, or if she's giving the character an interesting edge
    Nevan likes this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Amazon Prime snuck in the fourth (and last) season of The Man in the High Castle on the 15th. I watched the first couple eps and really like it, but I feel a bit confused over Childan because I can't remember what happened with him last season. I might do a rewatch of all four seasons once I finish.
    sputnik likes this.

^^^^
    i was traveling for work so i was able to finish the whole last season and now i'm so sad.
    re: childan, as usual he found a way to ingratiate himself with whoever's in power, and had managed to rebuild his shop and his business selling americana and antiques to japanese buyers.
    Jadestone likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread Information