Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Like Tree491Likes

Thread: What to watch (Hulu, Netflix, Prime, even old fashioned TV)

I started watching American God's last night - go nearly as far as I got in the book. Is it worth it??
    funky_chicken likes this.

Steve Carell's "Space Force" is out today on Netflix. It's not getting the best of reviews......

Watch Hannah Gadsby's Douglas.

It's fucking funny.

I feel very strongly about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I started watching American God's last night - go nearly as far as I got in the book. Is it worth it??
    I loved the first season, but didn't watch the second. I thought it was worth it, but I had liked the book...
    Novice likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I loved the first season, but didn't watch the second. I thought it was worth it, but I had liked the book...
    I really like Pratchett so tried the book & got to where Shadow Moon is lost in the woods & couldn't take it any more. I'm going to watch some more tonight, I've been digging out my garden so I'm exhausted & I'm gonna be sore......
    Waterslide likes this.

alias grace.
    i started watching it ages ago with my mom and even though we got into it things got too busy and we weren't able to finish before my trip home was over. i kept meaning to watch the rest. finally i just started from the beginning and watched the whole thing, and it's really great, another fantastic margaret atwood adaptation.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^I tried watching it ages ago and got bored, but maybe I'll give it another try.

I started watching Killing Eve because I keep hearing how much I'd love it - and I just can't get into it either. I'm a bit distracted by Elizabeth of York's weird accent, but that's not the only reason. I'll watch a few more episodes before I ditch it entirely (or become obsessed like everyone else I know who can't shut up about it).
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I'm on the fence about Killing Eve. I do like it, but it's also a watered down version of Hannibal with women instead of men. I missed the last episode of last season and I didn't see the new season. It's entertaining enough, though. I mean, ask me tomorrow and I might rave about it. I can't quite make up my mind.

Alias Grace is another one in my queue. Netflix must not have a limit on how much can be in your queue at one time because I haven't finished shit lately. I was really getting into The Great on Hulu and got busy and now I'm out of the habit of watching it...
    greysfang likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^^^
    funny, for me it's the opposite. i love killing eve, i think it's super smart and nuts but also believable because it's so well written. but i could never get into hannibal because i always thought the writing was weak and it was too dumbed down and predictable.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That's funny because I really am the opposite. lol You do get some hidden jokes and references in Hannibal...it took me a few times to catch them and I'm not usually that show on the uptake, but I was when I watched that. But I mean I do like Killing Eve, I just find it a bit predictable sometimes. I guess it's just what mood either show caught me in when I first started watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I'm on the fence about Killing Eve. I do like it, but it's also a watered down version of Hannibal with women instead of men. I missed the last episode of last season and I didn't see the new season. It's entertaining enough, though. I mean, ask me tomorrow and I might rave about it. I can't quite make up my mind.

Alias Grace is another one in my queue. Netflix must not have a limit on how much can be in your queue at one time because I haven't finished shit lately. I was really getting into The Great on Hulu and got busy and now I'm out of the habit of watching it...
    I finished The Great and ended up loving it. I had to let go of my "this isn't historically accurate!" mindset and enjoy it for what it is. It's funny, and beautifully shot, and I know I like something if the first thing I do when I finish is google "will there be a season 2?" Elle Fanning can be a bit awkward with the accent (I have a thing about bad accents) but she's actually pretty good for the most part, she just enunciates too much and thinks that "posh" equates to "British", and while she's ferrety she looks really luminous and beautiful in this. And she expresses Catherine's mix of wilfulness and naivety perfectly.

I really hope there is a season 2!
    Last edited by faithanne; June 1st, 2020 at 03:23 AM.
    lindsaywhit and Waterslide like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

The Black Death: the world’s most devastating plague, on Amazon
    it’s a lecture series and really interesting, I recommend it for history buffs. The first episodes are a little too general/basic but after that it gets really interesting.
    Last edited by sputnik; June 11th, 2020 at 08:34 PM.
    Waterslide likes this.

LOL I started watching that! But it felt too lecture-y for me. I felt like I was paying tuition and I would have a quiz later that week. No, seriously this instant gratification culture we have now made me feel like she's wasting my time with segues, camera changes and her "extra insights" that in all honesty struck me pretty dull and "duh." I didn't make it past the first episode. I wanted to know more, but it was so damn slow I would rather read wikipedia. I have zero patience for lecture videos when I could read so much faster.
    sputnik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    LOL I started watching that! But it felt too lecture-y for me. I felt like I was paying tuition and I would have a quiz later that week. No, seriously this instant gratification culture we have now made me feel like she's wasting my time with segues, camera changes and her "extra insights" that in all honesty struck me pretty dull and "duh." I didn't make it past the first episode. I wanted to know more, but it was so damn slow I would rather read wikipedia. I have zero patience for lecture videos when I could read so much faster.
    yeah i kind of zoned out during the first two episodes because a lot of it is kind of basic history that i think most of us know. the other episodes are a lot more interesting but i've treated them more as a podcast - i'll have it on while i'm cooking or doing other stuff. but i'm also a nerd and i enjoyed most of my history lectures so i don't mind that it's lecture-y.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I finished The Great and ended up loving it. I had to let go of my "this isn't historically accurate!" mindset and enjoy it for what it is. It's funny, and beautifully shot, and I know I like something if the first thing I do when I finish is google "will there be a season 2?" Elle Fanning can be a bit awkward with the accent (I have a thing about bad accents) but she's actually pretty good for the most part, she just enunciates too much and thinks that "posh" equates to "British", and while she's ferrety she looks really luminous and beautiful in this. And she expresses Catherine's mix of wilfulness and naivety perfectly.

I really hope there is a season 2!
    I'm in about the middle of the show and loving it. It's the highlight of my day, actually. It's a perfect farce and it's strangely very of it's time. Hulu does a good job with their irreverent historical dramas because it reminds me a bit of Harlots in that respect.

I like Elle because she's always been willing to wear some ridiculous clothes in real life and I think she's been a bit tamed by a stylist along the way, but she's not afraid to go over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    The Black Death: the world’s most devastating plague, on Amazon
    it’s a lecture series and really interesting, I recommend it for history buffs. The first episodes are a little too general/basic but after that it gets really interesting.
    I'll give this a try. I watched a special on YouTube with a British historian named Dan Snow but it was pretty short.

Thread Information