Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast
Like Tree475Likes

Thread: What to watch (Hulu, Netflix, Prime, even old fashioned TV)

So then why say "Jewish Lightning" when what you mean is arson by owner and you already know it's an offensive term?

Please do.
    At least Prisoner: Cellblock H is available on YouTube for free!! Bea Smith was my girl!

"I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Please do.
    At least Prisoner: Cellblock H is available on YouTube for free!! Bea Smith was my girl!

Have you watched Wentworth? Great first few series IMO, then it went too crazy.
    BITTER and Novice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ugh, the jewish lightning thing. a lot of hotels in lakewood in the 70s burned down quickly because of it. it's definitely a thing.

so was your favorite dinner there the Hindenburger?
    The only thing I used to eat there were his cousin's meatballs! Mmmm. My dad's father had a fatal heart attack behind the bar not long after they bought it. He was, I believe, 43 years old and my dad was about 11 years old. Funny enough, the thing that was worth the most in that place was the liquor license because they don't issue any more and haven't for a long time. I would bet the property itself (not including the tavern) was worth a lot too ... it had a long front of land on busy Route 547. The parking lot was ginormous and towards the end of my family's involvement with it would rent it to big rigs to use as a place to park and sleep for the night. It also had blueberry bogs (although they didn't work like traditional bogs). Also going in the back was a big party place. It was totally open air, had huge fire pits and BBQ grills. It was like a big picnic place, with picnic tables all over the place. We used to have summer and family parties back there when I was younger. It had a big sign on the front of it ... The Ponderosa ... I have no idea where that name came from though. Then beyond that is the fence separating it from the base.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    So then why say "Jewish Lightning" when what you mean is arson by owner and you already know it's an offensive term?
    I didn't mean to offend you ... it's more like insurance fraud than arson by owner. I first heard it when I was very young ... there were a couple of trailer parks in Jackson (also on Route 547) across the street from the VFW that had several trailers go up in flames and that was what everyone called it.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Have you watched Wentworth? Great first few series IMO, then it went too crazy.
    No, not yet..don’t know if it’s available in the US. But it has Libby Tanner in it and I loved her as Bronwyn the nurse in ALL SAINTS.
    Sarzy likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

Wentworth is on US Netflix. They have the first 7 seasons, season 8 starts airing in June and they usually put the new seasons on Netflix within a month of the season ending. I am so hooked on that show, I end up watching the new season in a weekend every year. It did get crazy, but I still can't look away.

Dark season 3 is coming soon on Netflix !
    Novice likes this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Yes, Nevan, and what caused the blaze?

Re-watching my Aussie shows, All Saints and Packed to the Rafters. Developed a crush on Hugh Sheridan. He's attracted a considerable amount of attention on that snakepit called Datalounge. If anyone can suggest another Aussie show on TV, let me know. I think we have Australians here, don't we....meanwhile, here is Hugh.

If you like prison dramas there is something called "bad girls" that was on ITV (maybe on BBC Worldwide or whatever its called?) that you might like???

(Quoted, just because)

czb

ok, i just saw the Viral documentary on PBS about anti-semitism. i only got to see 2/3 of it, recorded the rest. very powerful (and depressing). would highly recommend.

https://www.pbs.org/show/viral-antis...our-mutations/
    sputnik and Beeyotch like this.

i'm watching the good fight (second season). it is much much much much better than the good wife.
    diane lockhart is a goddess, i love her.
    john cameron mitchell guest stars in a couple of episodes and he is amazing in it.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    ok, i just saw the Viral documentary on PBS about anti-semitism. i only got to see 2/3 of it, recorded the rest. very powerful (and depressing). would highly recommend.

https://www.pbs.org/show/viral-antis...our-mutations/
    Speaking of, I watched Hunters on prime. Al Pacino in a show about Nazi hunters set in the 70's. Carol Kane is in it too. I absolutely fell apart at the one concentration camp scene where I knew they would separate the little boy from his parents, and then it got way worse than I anticipated. Having a little boy myself, I totally lost it. I can't watch scenes like that, they're unbearable. I must be totally soft now in my old age.

But it was pretty good, overall. Save for one really bad scene where the lead actor just could NOT dance in a fantasy mob dance scene. Poor guy. But anyway, the series has a good twist at the end.
    czb, Novice and Nevan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Speaking of, I watched Hunters on prime. Al Pacino in a show about Nazi hunters set in the 70's. Carol Kane is in it too. I absolutely fell apart at the one concentration camp scene where I knew they would separate the little boy from his parents, and then it got way worse than I anticipated. Having a little boy myself, I totally lost it. I can't watch scenes like that, they're unbearable. I must be totally soft now in my old age.

But it was pretty good, overall. Save for one really bad scene where the lead actor just could NOT dance in a fantasy mob dance scene. Poor guy. But anyway, the series has a good twist at the end.
    It's not you, it was a horrific time. One time when I took my mum to Prague (part of her family is Czech) I took her to Pinkas Synagogue and she did exactly the same thing that I did the same time, stop and started reading the names looking for family.
    I refused to go upstairs where they have artifacts from one of the camps as there are quite a few toys & paintings from the children there.
    Beeyotch and Nevan like this.

i lost 2 hours of my life i'll never get back hate-watching 'selling sunset' on netflix. i just couldn't look away. those people are fucking awful.

it's such a weird show. it's like it can't decide if it's a sort of comic book series, or shlock, or comedy. i enjoyed it despite some inconsistencies
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Beeyotch, you're not soft or old ... you're an empath, which should not make you feel bad at all. I think I've been one for most of my life, but it got nuts after I had my baby. I just felt everyone's pain, grief, anxiety, everything. And it doesn't lessen as your child grows up, it gets even stronger.
    lindsaywhit and Beeyotch like this.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Sounds right. Vulnerability went off the charts after having the kid, and it was bad enough to begin with. I should probably get into therapy and maybe some meds. It sucks to avoid shows--and real life situations--just because I know I can't handle some scenes. Precisely scenes that make them worth watching...sigh.

I have started re-watching Mindhunter and looked up the status on a third season. Seems it's not coming, evidently David Fincher is busy with other projects and the cast has been "released" from contracts since he hasn't reached any deals with Netflix so it's up in the air. Sounds like it may not happen, it's not being prioritized by anyone since the 2nd season didn't have as strong a viewership as the first.
    Nevan likes this.

Thread Information