Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree492Likes

Thread: What to watch (Hulu, Netflix, Prime, even old fashioned TV)

Chernobyl was amazing. We literally had to wait days between episodes because it was emotionally draining to watch knowing what really happened to these people.

We finished The Americans late last year and loved it. I wish I could go back and watch it all again for the first time.

I just binged Never Have I Ever on Netflix and I loved it. Sure, it's a teenaged drama, but it is so well done and felt real. Not like Riverdale or something along those lines.
    Waterslide likes this.

Just binged the final season of Schitts Creek. It was a perfect way to end it IMO.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I just watched the first episode of Belgravia in Epix. I loved it.

Belgravia is a historical drama television series based on the 2016 novel of the same name by Julian Fellowes—both named after Belgravia, an affluent district of London. The limited series, a co-production between Carnival Films and American cable network Epix, is adapted by Fellowes from his novel, and reunites the award-winning team behind Downton Abbey with Gareth Neame and Nigel Marchant executive producing alongside Liz Trubridge and Fellowes. Belgravia is directed by John Alexander, and produced by Colin Wratten.[1]
    Novice, Waterslide and palta like this.

Just downloaded HINDENBURG: LAST FLIGHT, on Amazon Prime. It's a German language film dubbed in English with Greta Scacchi and Stacy Keach as the parents of some girl who travels with her mother on the dirigible and she falls in love with the guy who stows away on the Hindenburg because some man in the restroom at the airfield told him about a plot to blow up the ship. Yes, it sounds trite and not unfamiliar and I love dirigibles and disaster movies.
    Nevan likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

^I think you just like saying dirigibles. And who wouldn't?
    BITTER, czb and Novice like this.

^^^It has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Plus, they are shaped like penises.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Just downloaded HINDENBURG: LAST FLIGHT, on Amazon Prime. It's a German language film dubbed in English with Greta Scacchi and Stacy Keach as the parents of some girl who travels with her mother on the dirigible and she falls in love with the guy who stows away on the Hindenburg because some man in the restroom at the airfield told him about a plot to blow up the ship. Yes, it sounds trite and not unfamiliar and I love dirigibles and disaster movies.
    My family's tavern (it was sold several years ago, went through a rapid succession of new owners and just burned down a few weeks ago) shared a property line with Lakehurst Naval Base, where the Hindenburg had its own hanger and of course, where it burned down. Throughout the tavern, there was Hindenburg memorabilia. My dad grew up in Lakehurst and they owned the tavern for over 50 years. I begged to take a few items when it was sold, but my family thought that wasn't fair to the new owner.

When I was a little girl, my cousin and I would hop the fence (much easier to do back then than it would be now) and we used to sit on these huge dirt mounds to watch the Blue Angels whenever they came to town.
    Waterslide, BITTER and lindsaywhit like this.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

Have started watching The Great, and while I'm enjoying it, it's also really stupid. But it's lavish to look at and funny in parts, and I'm slowly warming to Elle Fanning and her character. I'll keep watching and reserve my judgement until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    That's why you came here? That's funny. I've never watched it but a lot of my friends were extras in it and the Caribbean Club where we met was the Dive Bar in it. Also the courthouse where I work was in it for the court scenes. I was loving hitting up the Kraft table to get food. Good times.
    One reason. I always like to go new places on vacation because I like to explore. We were debating on the next place to go when it was on and we were like....we've never been to the Keys...let's go there!

I finished Little Fires Everywhere. Great show. A+. I know everyone raved about Reese and Kerry, but I thought Joshua Jackson was great and really was under rated. Hell, I didn't even know it was him until episode 3 or 4.
    Novice likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    My family's tavern (it was sold several years ago, went through a rapid succession of new owners and just burned down a few weeks ago) shared a property line with Lakehurst Naval Base, where the Hindenburg had its own hanger and of course, where it burned down. Throughout the tavern, there was Hindenburg memorabilia. My dad grew up in Lakehurst and they owned the tavern for over 50 years. I begged to take a few items when it was sold, but my family thought that wasn't fair to the new owner.

When I was a little girl, my cousin and I would hop the fence (much easier to do back then than it would be now) and we used to sit on these huge dirt mounds to watch the Blue Angels whenever they came to town.
    Nevan, sorry to hear that it burned down. I think that your folks should have let you take some things - airship memorabilia is definitely a thing. And the HINDENBURG? Shit, that stuff could get serious coin.

The Lakehurst station is now merged with the Coast Guard, Army and Air Force - Ft. Dix is a part of it now.

Do they still have the spot marked where the ship burned down?
    Nevan likes this.

czb

there are a lot of people who live in that area who have hindenburg artifacts. it was a real thing. both my parents talk about how as young kids they rode their bikes to the crash site to marvel at it and pick up debris. they said there were lots of kids and adults who did that. i belong to a FB site in that area and occasionally they post vintage pics of the crash site. very cool. and i feel awful writing that since it was such a terrible crash.

eta: sorry to hear about the tavern, nevan. i read about the fire in real time. awful. were they able to save any of it? sounds like it was quick.
    BITTER, Nevan and Novice like this.

Yes, Nevan, and what caused the blaze?

Re-watching my Aussie shows, All Saints and Packed to the Rafters. Developed a crush on Hugh Sheridan. He's attracted a considerable amount of attention on that snakepit called Datalounge. If anyone can suggest another Aussie show on TV, let me know. I think we have Australians here, don't we....meanwhile, here is Hugh.

Novice likes this.

Nevan, sorry to hear that it burned down. I think that your folks should have let you take some things - airship memorabilia is definitely a thing. And the HINDENBURG? Shit, that stuff could get serious coin.

The Lakehurst station is now merged with the Coast Guard, Army and Air Force - Ft. Dix is a part of it now.

Do they still have the spot marked where the ship burned down?
    Guess what its name was? The Airship Tavern! My grandparents and their cousin bought the place and the cousin used to run the kitchen by himself every day into his late 70s. Most of the base's employees would eat there, but that was back when there was really no where else to eat and get back on time. There are now a few decent places to eat in the area.

I knew it merged, which is awesome because they had been threatening to close Lakehurst for many years. I know a lot of people that work there. Dix bombs a LOT, which is fine, but with my anxiety, I'm sitting there anxious about when the next one goes off. They usually do them in multiple series and often. I've always been surprised that we can hear and feel it here ... it's a good 25 miles away. I try to just forget it because they need the training, and let freedom ring.

This is totally irrelevant but I've been looking at job postings for the last few months. There have been some AWESOME job postings for Dix, making serious money for what the job is, but they all want you to be a reservist ... which I can't understand because the only jobs I'm looking for are like purchasing, AP, AR, HR kind of stuff!! I'm 49 years old ... I'd never survive boot camp!!

And honestly, I have no clue about the spot. I haven't been on the base in a long time (like decades). I'm sure it is ... the only reason people know where Lakehurst is was because the Hindenburg burned down there. There are many locals that revere that event. I know a lot of the memorabilia was likely worth $$$. It was just such a part of my childhood and I was upset when I wasn't allowed to take anything. There was a wooden plane prop that was hung on the wall. I have no reason to believe that it was related to the Hindenburg or even Lakehurst Naval Base, but I wanted that thing so bad. And something really silly, especially because I don't drink was that there was a beer sign that looked like it had jumping balls inside ... it mesmerized me, lol. It's hard to remember all the stuff that was there ... I stopped going there, except for family stuff, when I became an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    there are a lot of people who live in that area who have hindenburg artifacts. it was a real thing. both my parents talk about how as young kids they rode their bikes to the crash site to marvel at it and pick up debris. they said there were lots of kids and adults who did that. i belong to a FB site in that area and occasionally they post vintage pics of the crash site. very cool. and i feel awful writing that since it was such a terrible crash.

eta: sorry to hear about the tavern, nevan. i read about the fire in real time. awful. were they able to save any of it? sounds like it was quick.
    I honestly don't know. My dad and his cousin's relatives held the mortgage for the first two owners, but were very happy to get out of that with the next owner. I believe it changed hands another two times after that. I haven't set foot in there since it was sold the first time, so I have no idea if they kept any of the memorabilia. I doubt it because I know one of the later owners turned it into an Irish pub. Maybe they sold it off!

I didn't find out until the morning after the fire, when one of my cousins posted someone's live streaming of FB of the fire.

Yes, Nevan, and what caused the blaze?

Re-watching my Aussie shows, All Saints and Packed to the Rafters. Developed a crush on Hugh Sheridan. He's attracted a considerable amount of attention on that snakepit called Datalounge. If anyone can suggest another Aussie show on TV, let me know. I think we have Australians here, don't we....meanwhile, here is Hugh.

Not sure what caused it, but there are lots of rumors that it was "Jewish lightning" (I hate that phrase!). Apparently whatever pub it turned into had been having trouble even before the pandemic started.
    BITTER likes this.
    "Please, I can't breathe."

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

czb

ugh, the jewish lightning thing. a lot of hotels in lakewood in the 70s burned down quickly because of it. it's definitely a thing.

so was your favorite dinner there the Hindenburger?
    SHELLEE, BITTER, Nevan and 1 others like this.

I don't watch a lot of Aussie drama so I can't vouch for all of it, but there was a show called Offspring that was pretty popular a few years back. Then going back even further was Secret Life of Us which was kind of the Melrose Place of the early Noughties (ie everyone would be talking about it the next day). Last year I watched the first season of 5 Bedrooms which was kind of cute, but I don't know if it's coming back for another season. I did love a series called Spirited, about a neurotic dentist who falls in love with a ghost, which was funny and also filmed in a beautiful part of Sydney.

If I can think of any more I'll update.
    BITTER and Novice like this.

Thread Information