Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: What was the last movie you watched and what did you think of it? (part deux)

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    On The Basis of Sex was wonderful. You get to see Ruth become the unflappable wall she is today. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It was interesting to see how many men's panties were totally in a giant wad over male/female social norms possibly changing if we're all considered "equal" (and we've still got a ways to go with that, unfortunately).
    Where is this available? Sounds interesting

It was on Showtime.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Pulp Fiction. Love everything about this movie except the part after the boxing match and he’s in the cab with the stupid cab driver and then his stupid girlfriend.
    Reservoir Dogs. Good movie and all my favorites are in it but I cringe at the gratuitous use of the n word.
    greysfang likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I watched Knives Out during the holidays and enjoyed it a lot - in spite of the fact that I never was a big fan of Daniel Craig (he reminds me too much of a horrible person I know IRL).

I loved how the film focuses on delivering a good plot with a nice rhythm and does not go overboard with the usual gimmicks like over the top acting, special effects, CGI, strange camera techniques, etc.

It's a nice, classic detective novel with an interesting plot and the right amount of humour.
    Brookie likes this.

I watched knives out right before the holidays and I liked it but it’s totally an Agatha Christie throwback and nothing original. Still, it was pretty enjoyable.

Saw “hunt for the wilderpeople” with my 11 year-old godson and we loved it. It’s funny, smart, endearing and just all around awesome. I love taika waititi.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Where are you guys watching Knives Out? Or is it still in theaters?
    We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.

I think it’s still in theatres though I’ve been in Canada an Europe for a couple of weeks so that might have changed.
    Nevan likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I watched knives out right before the holidays and I liked it but it’s totally an Agatha Christie throwback and nothing original. Still, it was pretty enjoyable.

Saw “hunt for the wilderpeople” with my 11 year-old godson and we loved it. It’s funny, smart, endearing and just all around awesome. I love taika waititi.
    Yeah, I think Knives Out definitely made me nostalgic for those old Agatha Christie movies. It wasn't exactly Christopher Nolan, but it was fun. A lot of people I've talked to in their 20s say they've never really seen anything like it, so I'm sure part of its popularity is that it's novel to them, maybe?

ETA - Nevan - I think it's playing one showing a day at major theaters...it might make a stop at the "cheap" theaters in the next week or two.
    Nevan likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Yeah, I think Knives Out definitely made me nostalgic for those old Agatha Christie movies. It wasn't exactly Christopher Nolan, but it was fun. A lot of people I've talked to in their 20s say they've never really seen anything like it, so I'm sure part of its popularity is that it's novel to them, maybe?

ETA - Nevan - I think it's playing one showing a day at major theaters...it might make a stop at the "cheap" theaters in the next week or two.
    Yep, it's still in some theatres at least in Italy, but with only one showing a day.

I agree it's nothing original, but it felt refreshing anyway as it's very different from pretty much everything else that has come out in the past few years.
    I think it's been a while since they made anything like that.

"Happy End". It's a 2017 French movie that I accidentally saw a few nights ago on cable while I was flipping through channels in the kitchen. I instantly stopped to watch it because it was in French and had this existentialist vibe to it that made it easy to just sit back and watch people interact with each other.

The film was written and directed by Michael Haneke, who I typically hate because he is the guy who created "Funny Games", which was one of the most overappreciated art-house experimental movies of the last 20 years. So, much so that he was paid to produce an American version of the same dumb movie.

Anyway, this one is better and even more disturbing. Basically, a guy (Matthew Kassovitz) and his sister (Isabelle Huppert) are living at their old-and-depressed rich dad's mansion. Kassovitz is on his second wife, His young daughter from his first wife has come to live him unexpectedly because the ex wife had an accident and his now in a coma. The grandfather is really depressed and just wants to end it all. Huppert has a son who works in the family business and is an incredible screwup to the point of negligent homicide. The movie ties these three plotlines together into a really wild climax.

Knives Out - fun movie. Daniel Craig was the weak link for me ... his accent was horrible, but it's a fun detective romp and the rest of the cast was played perfectly.

1917 - War movie. Well done. Good performances and visually it's really good. It's kind of like Saving Private Ryan but lacking the ensemble cast that made SPR better, imo. Still, worth the price of the movie ticket.

JoJo Rabbit: LOVED it. It's a satire about Nazi Germany which is very disorienting at first. Reminded me of Life is Beautiful (one of my fav movies) in that silliness is used to cover the atrocities. All of the performances were top notch. Highly recommend.
    Waterslide likes this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I thought Daniel Craig's accent was supposed to be extra comically southern. I'm not sure. It wasn't realistic, but it did make me laugh.

I can't wait to see 1917.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I want to marry the guy who plays Schofield, George Mackay. Can people make this happen? Thanks
    Waterslide and Nevan like this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

^^^^
    i haven't seen it yet so had to google. he's def in the potato genus/levitt's type
    levitt and CornFlakegrl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    i haven't seen it yet so had to google. he's def in the potato genus/levitt's type
    hahahahahaha! do you think?? Thing is I preferred Tommen Baretheon before I saw the film (I KNOW, he's way too young for me, but he's a cutie pie). Then I came out of the movie and I was like, yeah, that other guy is a bit of me.

Christ I can't even figure out how to post photos any more?

Is he potato-y? I know I have a type somewhere, I'm thinking it's 'normal looking men'
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information