Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree125Likes

Thread: What was the last movie you watched and what did you think of it? (part deux)

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    I have a soft spot for Shia and I want to see his movie, "Honey Boy," but this bit in an article of what the cinematographer had to deal with on set with him illustrates what a troubled upbringing he had.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/ho...ss-1202186644/

I actually really feel for Shia. I kind of hate the "difficult" label he's gotten; yeah I'm sure he's no treat but it sounds like he's got some pretty serious CPTSD going on and his rage an outbursts seem rooted in some really deep pain. I've seen how easy it is to dismiss people who are in that kind of pain as merely difficult. I'm not absolving him of his horrible behaviour, but I guess I kind of sympathize? And I actually think the decision to not have males around on set shows that he's trying to keep himself and others safe while working on what I'm sure is a really hard engagement with his past.
    ShimmeringGlow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    I actually really feel for Shia. I kind of hate the "difficult" label he's gotten; yeah I'm sure he's no treat but it sounds like he's got some pretty serious CPTSD going on and his rage an outbursts seem rooted in some really deep pain. I've seen how easy it is to dismiss people who are in that kind of pain as merely difficult. I'm not absolving him of his horrible behaviour, but I guess I kind of sympathize? And I actually think the decision to not have males around on set shows that he's trying to keep himself and others safe while working on what I'm sure is a really hard engagement with his past.
    The director said in an interview that Shia had to have his therapist with him on set during dramatic scenes because he would become traumatized by the material. I read an interview with his father. I believe the characteristics in the movie to be true. He moved to Costa Rica to get away from his sex offender label.

A Star Is Born - 1976

Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson.

This is actually my favorite version of this story. The soundtrack is classic, great 70’s; plus it has the love song, “Evergreen”. (Which was the “My Heart Will Go On” of the 70’s, as far as radiio play went.). Plus, it was used in practically every wedding from 1977-1981. Beautiful, timeless song, though.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; November 21st, 2019 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    “Love Is A Many-Spendored Thing” (1955) with Jennifer Jones and William Holden.

Soooo good!! Beautiful love story.

Then, I got sucked down a rabbit hole reading about William Holden and how his death from a head injury in 1981 was suspicious.
    I thought he was drunk and hit his head? Is there another suspicious story out there because I am curious.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I thought he was drunk and hit his head? Is there another suspicious story out there because I am curious.
    That was the official cause of death but there were some who believed it possibly was foul play. He had been in a relationship with Stefanie Powers for years but had recently ended things with her and supposedly was engaged to another woman. The theory is he and Stefanie were fighting and he was drunk and she pushed him and he fell and hit his head. And this was during the time Stefanie was doing the show “Hart to Hart” with Robert Wagner. Natalie Wood’s suspicious drowning and William Holden hitting his head happened within a few weeks of each other; both in November of 1981. So that got gossipy tongues wagging.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; November 21st, 2019 at 06:23 AM.
    Jadestone likes this.

Here’s the blog about William Holden’s death:

(Sorry, my phone won’t let me copy the whole thing and paste it.)

https://dreamingcasuallypoetry.blogs...nt-or.html?m=1
    Nevan and Waterslide like this.

"The Birds" was on last night. It was Mrs Mo's first time watching and she could not see what the big deal was. It's a landmark movie, but maybe it hasn't aged well. More than anything Mrs Mo was noticing how beautiful Tippi Hedren was. And another actress, who I was shocked to realize was Suzanne ("Mrs Newhart") Pleshette. Pleshette had this mesmerizing combination of bright blue eyes, super dark hair, and heart-shaped face. She was only 27 when "The Birds" was made. I had never watched "The Birds" all the way through, so after hte crazy gas station scene, I went into the family room to watch the rest of it on our big TV set. Then, promptly fell asleep before the finale.

I've seen three movies in about a week and loved them all!

Last Christmas (very untypical rom-com and I adore the new George Michael song that plays during the end credits)

Parasite (very cool, not predictable Korean movie. My coworker and her husband who detest subtitles actually loved it and she bugged me to see it because she wanted to discuss it.)

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (I spent at least half the movie crying. Love the cast. I'm not even that big a Tom Hanks fan, but he really *was* Mr. Rogers here. I thought it was cool how they squeezed in some educational things. The cameo by Joanne Rogers was nice, and I think I recognized at least one of their sons in the same scene.)
    holly likes this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Legend.

Not by choice though. Bestie and I were at his mums and she had it on because she genuinely loves it. I'd forgotten how awful it is. Bestie and I entertained ourselves by quoting Family Guy Tom Cruise jokes and doing our own running commentary.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Legend.

Not by choice though. Bestie and I were at his mums and she had it on because she genuinely loves it. I'd forgotten how awful it is. .

It's one of those films I refuse to rewatch as a grown up.
    I must have seen it 100 times when I was a kid, and I have extremely fond memories of it. I'm pretty sure it's because I was a kid and had no critical mind whatsoever, but I don't want to reality-check that by rewatching the movie. In my head, it's great, I want to keep it that way
    Kittylady and sputnik like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    I must have seen it 100 times when I was a kid, and I have extremely fond memories of it. I'm pretty sure it's because I was a kid and had no critical mind whatsoever, but I don't want to reality-check that by rewatching the movie. In my head, it's great, I want to keep it that way
    I promise you, you are doing the right thing.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Captain Marvel. Love it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Silver Member

On netflix...

The Irishman. Good, still liked Goodfellas more.
    Bullethead. Take Trespass+Cujo with Hachi as a touchstone. I cried, I ain't gonna lie.

I watched The Report on Amazon Prime. It plows through a lot of info in a short time amount of time, but it's good. I thought Adam Driver and Annette Benning were great in it and I know the jury is split on Adam, but I have loved him in everything I've seen him in - even some of his skits on SNL. The movie itself is a very tidy story about the Senate Intelligence Committee on the torture techniques employed by the CIA and their contractors.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    I have a list of movies I won’t rewatch for that reason. Movies that marked me as a kid and I want to retain the memory I have of them, and never view them through my jaded, critical adult lens lol. Some of them are good (like Empire of the Sun) and would hold up but it’s like I don’t want to take away from the strong impression they left on me.
    palta likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information