Page 96 of 116 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 1732
Like Tree1381Likes

Thread: What was the last movie you watched and what did you think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The dialogue from the awful screenplay and Billy Zane's ridiculous Snidely Whiplash performance take away from it. And all my ocean liner geek friends swear on a stack of bibles that there would be NO WAY a third class passenger would even be allowed to look at first class accommodations, let alone be allowed to visit as a guest. It simply wasn't done in those days. At least that is what I am told. The shipping companies were worried about communicable diseases back then. Steerage passengers could sometimes have lice, trachoma or tuberculosis, or thought to have it.
    Another thing that bugged me in the movie was when Rose flipped the bird at Lovejoy as she and Jack were going down the elevators. OK. First of all. A young lady of her class and breeding would have never done such a thing; let alone, would she have even known what it meant. But then again, Rose did alot of things that young ladies in that era didn't do. She was trying desperately to get away from Snidely Whiplash.

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    Yes! it's a fabulous disaster. a 52-ton ocean liner that swipes an iceberg, starts flooding, the bow goes down as the other end comes up, the ship is bobbing like a cork with people going ballistic, of course there's not enough rowboats for all the passengers, the ship splits in two, people hanging off railings and plummeting into the freezing water below if they didn't hit a rudder on the way down that sends their bodies into a tail spin before plunging in. and this shit really happened to people, the romance part is fictional, but the horror isn't.
    Which is why that movie needed to be made: to honor those who died at the arrogance of others. Not enough lifeboats? Jeez! How stupid. The Titanic tragedy changed maritime laws and ship construction which are used to this day.
    BITTER likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

^^Or how does she fall in love with a complete stranger in three days? One minute she's despondent enough to want to kill herself, and the next day she's dancing with the immigrants in steerage? Be a tire and SPARE ME!!!
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^^Or how does she fall in love with a complete stranger in three days? One minute she's despondent enough to want to kill herself, and the next day she's dancing with the immigrants in steerage? Be a tire and SPARE ME!!!
    She was 17. Nuff said.

She also was clearly suffering depression due to her mother's bitchy controlling behavior and Cal's emotional and physical abusive behavior. She felt trapped and would rather die than marry Snidley Whiplash. Then she meets this handsome young man who "saved" her. She said it herself when she tells her story as an old woman: "He saved me in every way a person can be saved."

*cues music*

BITTER likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    She was 17. Nuff said.

She also was clearly suffering depression due to her mother's bitchy controlling behavior and Cal's emotional and physical abusive behavior. She felt trapped and would rather die than marry Snidley Whiplash. Then she meets this handsome young man who "saved" her. She said it herself when she tells her story as an old woman: "He saved me in every way a person can be saved."

*cues music*

Yup, he even gave her an orgasm
    panic and Bluebonnet like this.

aw, there's bill paxton. that's when leo was cute. i really liked the actress who played rose's mom. i think she's a great actress who really has that look of superiority mastered perfectly. and i loved kathy bates.

i don't like the theme song, my heart will go on. but i love the cast.

of course, not everything is true. it was harder for passengers in steerage to get to the lifeboats because they had to go through long hallways and it could get confusing, the upper classes were close to the promenade where the life boats were, but steerage passengers were not locked in and refused access to lifeboats. women and children from all classes were admitted onto the lifeboats as women and children were boarding first. men stood back so they go could get on.

but the captain of the real titanic let lots of lifeboats go that weren't filled. he let the first lifeboat leave with only 27 people on it when it could hold 65 and they never went back for the survivors.

also, there really was a quartet playing as the boat went under and they went down with the ship.
    Bluebonnet, BITTER and holly like this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

Rose was selfish, two people could totally have floated on that door. They were dummies and both tried to get on at the same time on the same side. Jack did not have to die. But, then it wouldn't have been an emotionally heartbreaking movie had he lived.
    Bluebonnet, panic and holly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Rose was selfish, two people could totally have floated on that door. They were dummies and both tried to get on at the same time on the same side. Jack did not have to die. But, then it wouldn't have been an emotionally heartbreaking movie had he lived.
    And hanging on to that big ass necklace all those years that was worth millions! Then throws it away in the ocean! She could've sold it and left money for her children and grandchildren!
    panic and holly like this.

I hate to admit it, but I can recite the entire scene in the cabin where Ruth is tightening Rose's corsets and complaining about how all the money is gone and that is why she must marry Cal...
    Bluebonnet and panic like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I hate to admit it, but I can recite the entire scene in the cabin where Ruth is tightening Rose's corsets and complaining about how all the money is gone and that is why she must marry Cal...
    Frances Fisher was awesome in that role.
    BITTER and panic like this.

^^^She was, actually. I'd have given her the Oscar nod instead of Gloria Stuart. Gloria was so bland and lifeless at the elder Rose.
    panic likes this.

Christ, y'all are STILL talking about Titanic?
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I watched "We Are Marshall" last night for the umpteenth time. I never get tired of that movie.

Waterslide, Nevan and holly like this.

I watched that movie once and have been traumatized ever since. I mean, the movie is good, but it's so sad and depressing. I love Matthew McConnaughey's character, though.
    panic likes this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I watched that movie once and have been traumatized ever since. I mean, the movie is good, but it's so sad and depressing. I love Matthew McConnaughey's character, though.
    Yes, it is very sad. I cry all throughout the movie everytime I watch it. When Nate breaks down...when the university president is trying to get help from other colleges and is standing in the rain and when Matthew Fox's character breaks down after their first win! I ball my eyes out!

It was a respectable, quiet movie about a horrible tragedy. I think it was very well done, well acted and so respectful to those that were killed.

I love the memorial fountain.

Memorial Fountain

Just outside the Memorial Student Center at the heart of Marshall’s Huntington campus stands the Memorial Fountain—a visible reminder of the 75 lives lost in the Nov. 14, 1970, plane crash.More than 13 feet high and weighing 6,500 pounds, the memorial was created by sculptor Harry Bertoia. It was his hope the fountain would “commemorate the living—rather than death—on the waters of life, rising, receding, surging so as to express upward growth, immortality and eternality.”
    The Memorial Fountain was dedicated by President John G. Barker on Nov. 12, 1972, to the memory of the plane crash victims. Each year a memorial service is held on the anniversary of the tragedy. The ceremony includes the traditional laying of a wreath and the fountain’s water is turned off until the following spring.
    Visitors seek out the fountain and for students and alumni it is a landmark—a statement of resiliency, constancy of spirit and a flowing future.
    The bronze plaque bears this simple, eloquent inscription:
    “They shall live on in the hearts of their families and friends forever, and this memorial records their loss to the university and to the community.”

2008 Fountain Rededication

In early 2008, the Memorial Fountain and its foundation received extensive repairs–most notably a new granite surface for the foundation; a copper catch tray; and a higher water spray, similar to the original output when the fountain was installed in 1972.
    On April 9, 2008, the memorial fountain was rededicated. Gov. Joe Manchin III, Marshall President Stephen J. Kopp, family representative Michele Prestera Craig and others spoke during the ceremony, which concluded with the turning on of the fountain for the summer. The fountain is silenced each Nov. 14 during the annual memorial service honoring the victims of the plane crash.

Memorial Fountain History and Traditions - History and Traditions - Marshall University
    Waterslide, panic and holly like this.

It was a respectable, quiet movie about a horrible tragedy. I think it was very well done, well acted and so respectful to those that were killed.
    I totally agree with all of this. And it's a real tear-jerker.

I never saw that fountain before, but it's really beautiful and I love the ceremony that goes along with it. Lord, I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it. It's a tragic story like a lot of other tragic stories, but for some reason this one really gets to me every time.
    Bluebonnet and panic like this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Thread Information