Page 6 of 135 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree1656Likes

Thread: What was the last movie you watched and what did you think of it?

Grand Budapest Hotel. I watched it..but not sure I liked it. It did keep me interested enough to finish it. And the bell boy in the show kept cracking me up.

Jackie Brown and This Place Is Condemned. I loved Jackie Brown, and enjoyed This Place, even though the ending was awful.

Interstellar. It goes on too long and that's with rushing the story at certain points. The plot is weak. The images of space are beautiful. Jessica Chastain gives a good performance as does Michael Cain. Overall though, disappointing.

Fast and Furious 7, some very over the top scenes and ridiculous stunts as you would expect but that's what people want from these films so it worked! loved the end.. a very touching tribute to Paul Walker at the end, had me (and many others) tearful! first film I had seen that got a round of applause at the end lol
    gas_chick likes this.
    "I don't know what hammer time is, or how it differs from regular time"

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    ^^^ Great flick.

I've actually already seen this but didn't remember any of it until the sex scene on the stairs, that looked familiar, but mostly not a memorable movie. The story doesn't explain why his brother wanted to kill him. Tom/Joey came from violent, criminal beginnings and I guess his brother's got a score to settle over something from back then.

You must have missed it, because it is explained. The brother wants to kill him because he had been penalized by the mob for what viggo mortensons character did.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Four Rooms again because my friend has never scene it. Such a funny movie and Tim Roth is awesome in it.
    sputnik likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    You must have missed it, because it is explained. The brother wants to kill him because he had been penalized by the mob for what viggo mortensons character did.
    I don't know why, but I was pretty amused every time I heard William Hurt refer to Viggo as "broheem/broheim/brohim". I've looked it up and there is a lot of discussion about the origin of the word, but I can't find any consensus. I'm starting to think that Hurt invented the term for his own amusement.

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    I've actually already seen this but didn't remember any of it until the sex scene on the stairs, that looked familiar, but mostly not a memorable movie. The story doesn't explain why his brother wanted to kill him. Tom/Joey came from violent, criminal beginnings and I guess his brother's got a score to settle over something from back then.

Maybe it got decent ratings cause the family was likable, the way the son handled the bully at school was clever and funny, it made you root for him and it was good to see a bully eventually get his ass kicked. Ed Harris' character was interesting, with his sickening milky eye, scarface and pissed off attitude but the plot was still weak.
    It was a very vivid movie, with very good actors (Mortenson, Hurt, Bello, Harris, McHattie). I think it maybe resonated with people who hate to see bullying or violent thugs get away with stuff. I almost thought of it as two different films - the first part when Viggo is maintaining his persona as Tom, and then a second very different part, when he goes to visit Hurt. I actually thought that part was when the film really went off the rails. There are crime figures who have pulled this off in real life (Whitey Bulger), but I would think that Joey would be VERY well known to both police and associates and as soon as he shows up in the news, they would be on him like white on rice. But that doesn't happen.

Also, while I find David Cronenberg to be a very interesting director, he has a really lurid approach to violence and sex. It might be to his credit, though, that it is so visceral and traumatizing, like real-life violence actually is.

Just wanted to add again that this movie had me at Bello. Love her.

Okay, so I'm a sucker for old musicals, and "Music Man" is one of my particular favorites. Probably have seen it about 20+ times; I just never miss it. Now, the newer version with Matthew Broderick (Matthew Broderick?) is on, and I gotta turn it off. I just can't. And, since when was 1912 Iowa integrated? There are mixed-race marriages in this movie, as well as completely under-acted roles. Just no. (I read a critique of it called "The Day The Music Died", and they're right.)
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    It was a very vivid movie, with very good actors (Mortenson, Hurt, Bello, Harris, McHattie). I think it maybe resonated with people who hate to see bullying or violent thugs get away with stuff. I almost thought of it as two different films - the first part when Viggo is maintaining his persona as Tom, and then a second very different part, when he goes to visit Hurt. I actually thought that part was when the film really went off the rails. There are crime figures who have pulled this off in real life (Whitey Bulger), but I would think that Joey would be VERY well known to both police and associates and as soon as he shows up in the news, they would be on him like white on rice. But that doesn't happen.
    I'm scratching my head, wondering if I saw the same movie that you and panic saw.

The reason Ed Harris comes looking for Viggo is that he recognized him as Joey from the news stories about him and the robbers/killers he shoots in the diner. He comes immediately after the news reports break.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 5th, 2015 at 08:32 PM.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I'm scratching my head, wondering if I saw the same movie that you and panic saw.

The reason Ed Harris comes looking for Viggo is that he recognized him as Joey from the news stories about him and the robbers/killers he shoots in the diner. He comes immediately after the news reports break.
    I think we are sort of coming at it from different angles. If Tom/Joe hadn't defended himself and become a local hero he could still have maintained his newer identity and not been discovered/confronted by either Fogarty or Richie. I'm saying that part of the movie seems like one movie, and then when Tom goes to visit Richie, it seems like another movie: 1) completely different setting, 2) Viggo in full Joey mode (almost a different character), and 3) Hurt as the new antagonist.

By the way, I was just reading about the original story that the movie was based on. It was originally a comic book, and the comic and the movie are pretty similar up until the Tom/Joey reveal. Richie is not Tom's brother, and Tom is not really a gangster. In the comic, it's a lot grosser. You can see the differences in this clip:

Well, I guess it's because there were the two completely different sides to this man. The incredibly violent sociopath and the normal family guy who everyone liked. And his violent past came back to haunt him after he thought it was over(the whole 'I went to the desert and killed Joey' stuff that tom tells his wife).

IIRL most of the mob guys I've come into contact with are very much like that. Two sided. Loving family men, affable, charming, sociable and yet, violent killers. People are strange and complex.

I also thought the movie was just OK, not very good. But it did have an interesting take on violence in us as individuals and as a society.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; April 5th, 2015 at 08:53 PM.

Well, I guess it's because there were the two completely different sides to this man. The incredibly violent sociopath and the normal family guy who everyone liked. And his violent past came back to haunt him after he thought it was over(the whole 'I went to the desert and killed Joey' stuff that tom tells his wife).

IIRL most of the mob guys I've come into contact with are very much like that. Two sided. Loving family men, affable, charming, sociable and yet, violent killers. People are strange and complex.

I also thought the movie was just OK, not very good.
    I would definitely rely more on your own insight (than mine) in that aspect of this type of personality. Re-watching the confrontation in the cafe where Tom repeatedly denies to Fogarty that he is Joey, he just seemed too blithe and sincere in his bewilderment at Fogarty calling him Joey - especially considering the violent confrontation that they had had in the past. But like you said, a person who has a history as a violent psychopath is able to lie a lot more convincingly than the average person. Related to the second half of the film, I know Hurt got an Oscar nomination out of his performance and everything, but his approach seemed almost comical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think we are sort of coming at it from different angles. If Tom/Joe hadn't defended himself and become a local hero he could still have maintained his newer identity and not been discovered/confronted by either Fogarty or Richie.
    If tom hadn't defended himself in the diner he would have been dead. Those guys were stone killers, as illustrated in the opening scene when they even murdered the toddler. They weren't just going to rob the diner.

So I guess he could have maintained his new identity from the grave, but that's part of what I meant when I said it seems like we saw a different movie.

Furious 7. Everything I expected and want in this type of movie. The tribute for Paul Walker was nice and not cheesy at all.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

If tom hadn't defended himself in the diner he would have been dead. Those guys were stone killers, as illustrated in the opening scene when they even murdered the toddler. They weren't just going to rob the diner.

So I guess he could have maintained his new identity from the grave, but that's part of what I meant when I said it seems like we saw a different movie.
    No, he still had to defend himself, but he knew he could/should never be photographed or on tv because of his past. Basically, he was in his own version of the witness protection program. If I were Tom/Joey, I would have worn a Nixon mask everywhere I went for the next month.

Page 6 of 135 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread Information