Page 303 of 758 FirstFirst ... 203253293299300301302303304305306307313353403 ... LastLast
Results 4,531 to 4,545 of 11358
Like Tree642Likes

Thread: What was the last movie you watched, and what did you think of it?

  1. #4531
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,488

    Default

    I'll have to be the voice of dissent on Cuckoo's Nest. I think it was a really good film. It still holds up.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  2. #4532
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I'll have to be the voice of dissent on Cuckoo's Nest. I think it was a really good film. It still holds up.

    Witchcurl - it had its funny moments - the baseball game, the one man taking his meds like communion, but the madness behind it is what got to me and the stigma it gave mental health patients for years to come. the fear it induced on people needing care in public facilities is reprehensible.

  3. #4533
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,488

    Default

    ^ sorry, I don't buy that. If anyone was stigmatized it was mental health professionals.

    I found both the movie and the book to be sympathetic to the inmates. The ward was a symbol of oppression, and the general point was to illustrate authorities' control over individuals through methods both subtle and coercive.

    The portrayal of mental illness was actually impressive for a film, in its avoidance of stereotypes through it's depiction of characters as individuals.

    I loved the book too.

    Sorry for the thread hijack all.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; August 22nd, 2009 at 03:09 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  4. #4534
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    492

    Default

    we'll have to agree to disagree, and that's cool, there is room for that. we can't all be alike.

  5. #4535
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    22,824

    Default

    Right now I am watching Into the Wild with Emile Hirsch. This film is so heartbreaking to me; it deals so well with lonliness, isolation and solitude. Plus I know how it ends.

  6. #4536
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    419

    Default

    I watched "Raw for 30 days" online, it's free if you search for it. It was about a group of people with diabetes, mostly type II but one type I, who were able to get off or greatly reduce their need for insulin and reverse many of their pathological indicators such as high blood pressure, elevated plasma glucose and lipids, etc. I've been mostly raw for about 7 years now and it was still inspiring. It featured Gabriel Cousins. MD. Raw diets are really good for type IIs because they are so low in advanced glycation end products (toxic compounds created on cooking, which, in the diabetic or otherwise damaged kidney are not filtered out, and tend to cross-link with the long-lived proteins in the body like skin collagen and crystalline lens and basically wreak havoc). Cousins advocates a low GI raw diet, pretty high in fats and vegetables. But the food looked pretty delicious to me, not so different from how I eat on a regular basis.

  7. #4537
    Elite Member LaFolie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    floating...
    Posts
    5,875

    Default

    OK, I finally got to see the second part of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I take back what I said! Great film.
    I don't want to perish like a fading horse - best lyric ever

  8. #4538
    Elite Member chartreuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    the salad bowl
    Posts
    6,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marina View Post
    I watched "Raw for 30 days" online, it's free if you search for it. It was about a group of people with diabetes, mostly type II but one type I, who were able to get off or greatly reduce their need for insulin and reverse many of their pathological indicators such as high blood pressure, elevated plasma glucose and lipids, etc. I've been mostly raw for about 7 years now and it was still inspiring. It featured Gabriel Cousins. MD. Raw diets are really good for type IIs because they are so low in advanced glycation end products (toxic compounds created on cooking, which, in the diabetic or otherwise damaged kidney are not filtered out, and tend to cross-link with the long-lived proteins in the body like skin collagen and crystalline lens and basically wreak havoc). Cousins advocates a low GI raw diet, pretty high in fats and vegetables. But the food looked pretty delicious to me, not so different from how I eat on a regular basis.
    that sounds good. i'm going to find & watch it.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.


  9. #4539
    Elite Member bellini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    6,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Right now I am watching Into the Wild with Emile Hirsch. This film is so heartbreaking to me; it deals so well with lonliness, isolation and solitude. Plus I know how it ends.
    Did you read the book? It was very good.

  10. #4540
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post
    that sounds good. i'm going to find & watch it.

    Here's the trailer:
    [YOUTUBE]bzdhBo4pbgE[/YOUTUBE]

  11. #4541
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    22,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    Did you read the book? It was very good.
    No, but I did read the article the book was based on a few years ago.

    The movie was said because he did not have to die...it's almost as if he had a death wish.

  12. #4542
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    watching Trainspotting right now... blech. The mid to late 90's had some seriously nihilistic movies
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  13. #4543
    Elite Member Penny Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Posts
    21,646

    Default

    Max Payne.. man, that sucked.

    eta: "Cuckoo's Nest" is a movie you walk away from kind of pissed off about (at least I was) and then later on you fully grasp the symbolism/greatness of the film.. it's kind of shocking the way it ends and you feel like of gypped and then once you step back and let it sink in.. it's kind of beautiful.

  14. #4544
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Max Payne: Marky Mark plays another bad-tempered cop. Still a decent movie, but the story had some shaky plot points.

    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I'll have to be the voice of dissent on Cuckoo's Nest. I think it was a really good film. It still holds up.
    Agreed. Cuckoo's Nest is definitely a classic. I saw it for the first time back in college and I wasn't expecting much, but was impressed after watching it.

  15. #4545
    Elite Member Penny Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Over the hills and far away
    Posts
    21,646

    Default

    ^^haha.. i watched 'max payne' tonight too.. was not impressed, sadly. Marky mark's hotness could not carry the plot.. maybe it's because I'm not a guy .. Mila Kunis was especially bad in it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. SEC staffers watched porn as economy crashed
    By celeb_2006 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2010, 12:35 AM
  2. Paris Hilton watched her own sex tape
    By moomies in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: March 4th, 2010, 08:08 AM
  3. Anyone has watched the ANTM C13 recently?
    By emilyrocks in forum Television and Movies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: June 12th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •