Page 159 of 165 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 2474
Like Tree2010Likes

Thread: What was the last movie you watched and what did you think of it?

Anon.
    Except I was at my parents& my mom kept asking me questions and such like.

There’s s Jurassic Park marathon on today and I tolerated “Lost World” and Jurassic Park III (only for Jeff Goldbum and Sam Neil) but am utterly hate watching “Jurassic World”. The clicker training on the raptors.....I just can’t.

Nothing beats the original Jurassic Park.

I watched Julie & Julia on Netflix yesterday and I still love it very much. My husband took his mom to see John Wick 3 and they both loved that too, it's not y thing and they have very similar taste in movies so they go together frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    There’s s Jurassic Park marathon on today and I tolerated “Lost World” and Jurassic Park III (only for Jeff Goldbum and Sam Neil) but am utterly hate watching “Jurassic World”. The clicker training on the raptors.....I just can’t.

Nothing beats the original Jurassic Park.

I recently watched JW: The fallen kingdom, I haven't seen the 1st instalment of that reboot but I'm not sure I missed much. Anyway, I was just so bored, I didn't warm up to any of the characters, the CGI still looks bad on dinosaurs, and really, the movie makes no sense whatsoever.
    Too much stuff happens, but there's no tension in any of the scenes, you never feel the characters are in danger. Give me that kitchen scene with the kids and the raptors anytime !
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    I recently watched JW: The fallen kingdom, I haven't seen the 1st instalment of that reboot but I'm not sure I missed much. Anyway, I was just so bored, I didn't warm up to any of the characters, the CGI still looks bad on dinosaurs, and really, the movie makes no sense whatsoever.
    Too much stuff happens, but there's no tension in any of the scenes, you never feel the characters are in danger. Give me that kitchen scene with the kids and the raptors anytime !
    ^^^This, exactly! The kitchen scene and the T-Rex attacking the Ford Explorer in the first movie are better than the entire Jurassic World movie.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; May 28th, 2019 at 05:30 PM.

^^^ I watched it because of the Latina with the glasses -- I'm so shallow.......

I do want to say that this has become one of the most ridiculously formulaic franchises of all time. First of all, it's the most dysfunctional amusement park of all time that is always getting a second chance. With the ownership track record this place has, who in their right mind would visit?

They also do such a horrible job of vetting their staff. They hired "Newman" for crying out loud.

And how does BD Wong always seem to keep his job??? He's been there through like 3 sequels, always playing a critical part in compromising the entire place.

Plus, apparently nobody has any respect for Jeff Goldblum's scentific credentials because they keep bring him back so that he can say this is a really bad idea, and he's exactly right, and gives a speech at the end that nobody ever learns from.
    I'mNotBitter and mostroop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    ^^^ I watched it because of the Latina with the glasses -- I'm so shallow.......

I do want to say that this has become one of the most ridiculously formulaic franchises of all time. First of all, it's the most dysfunctional amusement park of all time that is always getting a second chance. With the ownership track record this place has, who in their right mind would visit?

They also do such a horrible job of vetting their staff. They hired "Newman" for crying out loud.

And how does BD Wong always seem to keep his job??? He's been there through like 3 sequels, always playing a critical part in compromising the entire place.

Plus, apparently nobody has any respect for Jeff Goldblum's scentific credentials because they keep bring him back so that he can say this is a really bad idea, and he's exactly right, and gives a speech at the end that nobody ever learns from.
    Best review of Jurassic Park ever!
    MohandasKGanja and mostroop like this.

Rocketman. I really enjoyed it, and I don’t say that a lot about biopics. And even less about musicals which this basically is. But the acting, story, costumes and music are pretty great and overall it’s light, it’s fun, it’s cheerful despite the heavy moments and doesn’t take itself too seriously. I suspect it also glosses over a lot but if you’re not going in expecting a warts and all type biopic you’ll be fine.
    Daphodil likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

On a WW2/Nazi/Holocaust documentary binge all day courtesy of YouTube...I'm spent.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

I’ve been avoiding tv for that reason!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Rocketman. I really enjoyed it, and I don’t say that a lot about biopics. And even less about musicals which this basically is. But the acting, story, costumes and music are pretty great and overall it’s light, it’s fun, it’s cheerful despite the heavy moments and doesn’t take itself too seriously. I suspect it also glosses over a lot but if you’re not going in expecting a warts and all type biopic you’ll be fine.
    There has been a lot in our press about he slagging off loads of folks and making himself look awesome when in reality he’s a mealy-mouthed bitchy narcissist, but, he wrote the film so.....
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I didn't like it but then I'm not usually a fan of musicals especially with dodgy singing a la Pierce Brosnan. I much preferred Bohemian Rhapsody which was a proper bio-pic with the original music. I agree that both movies probably gloss over a lot of the dark side of fame. The one saving grace is Richard Madden.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Yeah I think I found this one refreshing - despite my usual hatred of musicals - precisely because I rarely like typical biopics (especially the ones made with the subject or their family/friends’ approval. The social network type movies are another story). they tend to be very formulaic and are usually a series of vignettes or like “greatest hits” moments of someone’s life, but without a real narrative thread holding them together, they rely on our familiarity with the character and the strength of the actors’ performances.
    I like the biopics that take liberties or find non-linear narrative ways to tell the story and build the characters: this one tells it in the form of a musical and “I’m not there” told the story of Bob Dylan through 6 different actors playing different facets of him, but did a better job of capturing the essence of Dylan than finding an actor that looks just like him and doing a by the book account of the official important moments of his life.
    rollo likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I must try and find "I'm not there." I prefer bio-pics to be warts and all. I agree, it is so annoying when they are sanitised with the family's approval although I really liked the Selena movie, for instance, and I doubt there was much revision as the poor girl was only 23. The same with the bio-pics of Buddy Holly and Richie Valens.
    sputnik likes this.

This one is definitely elton-approved but it’s also basically “Elton! The fabulous gay musical dreamscape” so it works lol and Taron Egerton is charming and touching in a way that’s almost reminiscent of a young heath ledger. And Jamie bell and richard madden are both really great too.

I didn't mind Taron Egerton playing the lead role. I just would have preferred him not to sing. Jamie Bell looked nothing like Bernie Taupin and that was a deal breaker for me. Richard Madden could sing the telephone directory and I would still watch him but luckily he didn't have to ....

Thread Information