Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Westworld on HBO

I think that Wyatt is Arnold acting through both Teddy and Dolores. But, I could be way off base there. I haven't read any run-downs online yet, and those could give some insight there.

Also, the definitely alluded to there being multiple parks, with different themes. Maeve's daughter was in Park 1 and then they showed the Japanese Samurai. How many parks/themes are going?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    "Real Humans", the Swedish-language show? Where did you see it?

Westworld is averaging about 90% across both critics and viewers on both IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes.
    I live in sweden, it's available on my netflix here

I know the show received very good critics, and I'm a sucker for that kind of science fiction, but I have already seen / read way better.
    Ex Machina with Alicia Vikander was also way more interesting IMO.

I suffered through the whole finale that nearly bored me to death, and I wont be watching the 2nd season.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    I live in sweden, it's available on my netflix here

I know the show received very good critics, and I'm a sucker for that kind of science fiction, but I have already seen / read way better.
    Ex Machina with Alicia Vikander was also way more interesting IMO.

I suffered through the whole finale that nearly bored me to death, and I wont be watching the 2nd season.
    It doesn't look like they will miss you, Tiny Pixie -- it's already shaping up to be one of HBO's most successful shows, ever:

'Westworld' season finale breaks ratings records for HBO - Business Insider

"Westworld" ended its first season breaking both series and network ratings records. Sunday's season finale attracted more than 2.2. million viewers to its 9 p.m. airing, according to Deadline. That represents a 7% increase over last week's episode and the largest audience of the season.

When the viewership for repeat airings, HBO Now, and HBO Go are added, the night's total rises to 3.6 million viewers, another series high.
    On top of that, the season averages 12 million viewers across all platforms. That's the largest audience ever for an HBO original series' freshman season, including the first seasons for “Game of Thrones” and “True Detective."

i've been avoiding this thread because i didn't wanna catch spoilers. but now i'm caught up.

i thought it was fantastic and i'm someone who's usually bored by westerns AND science fiction, with some exceptions.

I'm still not even sure I understand everything but there were times i was riveted to my seat.

My favorite character was Bernard.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

The show has definitely helped cement Wright's (Bernard) reputation as an acting genius.

SPOILERS:

I was stunned when discovering bernard was not human. it was hilarious when felix, the tech who helped maive get smarter, found out that bernard was not human and started examining his arms wondering if he himself was not human.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

The whole Bernard thing is throwing me off. So, did no one notice that Arnold died and then suddenly Bernard was working there and looked just like Arnold? It's just weird, right?

I've never liked westerns either, but I love this because it really is just a façade for the sci fi. I don't have an opinion on ERW, but I do remember her being a vampire on "True Blood". Her role in this show is very subtle, though, and she has done a terrific job. So has Thandie Newton. I think those two, along with Jeffrey Wright and Anthony Hopkins are going to get Emmy nominations for this series. Ed Harris is driving me nuts. It's not giving away much to say that his character is basically some kind of sadist, and even when he gets his ass kicked, he seems like he's enjoying it - there goes the revenge payoff.
    Yep, she was the Queen of Louisiana in True Blood. I liked her clothes and style, but her acting was flat to me (eta - on TB, not Westworld). I think she's pretty, though. Thandie Newton is always awesome IMO.

I'm watching but haven't seen every episode. One of the most relevant shows on tv.

ETA - I finally caught up through Episode 7 last night and it's big reveal. I kind of find it improbable but it was a great twist and very poignant. Lots of great observations about AI and ethics.
    Ohmigosh, I just finished that one and somehow didn't see that coming. Whoa. I usually have some inkling, but that's just not where my brain went. I just breezed by the rest of the thread for now.

As for the critics, I still love Game of Thrones and True Detective (first season) better, but that's just me. But we are all so spoiled by the good TV these days.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    The whole Bernard thing is throwing me off. So, did no one notice that Arnold died and then suddenly Bernard was working there and looked just like Arnold? It's just weird, right?
    No, because he didn’t ‘suddenly’ appear straight after Arnold died. Ford made him many years later, perfecting him. No one who worked at Westworld would have known what Arnold looked like (photos were destroyed, etc – people have mentioned they haven’t seen what the other creator looked like).
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

What I did think possible strained credibility was Hopkins' character having a little uncharted area in Westworld where he made a duplicate of his own family. At least, I think that's what he did. It seems like making an artificial person would have to be a pretty collaborative process, and you would have to account for materials expended, fabrication machine time used, etc. It reminded me a little of the Bladerunner scientist guy (JF Sebastian) having his little apartment overrun with experimental androids.

And actually, the parallels with Bladerunner don't end there since the backstory on the "replicants" is that they are used and abused without conscience, and then drop dead in about 4 years from built-in obsolescence. And that some of them eventually rebel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information