Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Watching Old TV Shows on Netflix

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I think I'm the board's resident XF nut. When I first started working and making money, I shelled out for the entire set of all 9 seasons DVDs. I've watched them countless times through the years, even though I know almost every episode. It's like comfort food to me. If the day has been shit or I'm nervous about something I pop one in and it decompresses me. I'm the same way about The Golden Girls to a slightly lesser degree. My mother doesn't get why I watch the same episodes over and over, but something about it cheers me.
    Then I can come to you with my questions! I have gone to the edges of some of the X-Files boards and it's a little scary dipping your toe into conversations that have been going on since the nineties. lol I probably will one day break down and invest in the DVDs because Netflix won't last forever and I really do like watching the show. I find it oddly relaxing as well, I get lost in it.
    Laurent likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

My boys were on a kick watching 3rd Rock from the Sun. My 12 year old would laugh his ass off.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Then I can come to you with my questions! I have gone to the edges of some of the X-Files boards and it's a little scary dipping your toe into conversations that have been going on since the nineties. lol I probably will one day break down and invest in the DVDs because Netflix won't last forever and I really do like watching the show. I find it oddly relaxing as well, I get lost in it.
    Please feel free! I've been a fan since the original run, so I was in some of those boards during their heyday and they were really intense then. I very occassionally lurk on one or two of them just to see what's being said, but they're mostly calm discussions now about old episodes, or more likely, arguing about the lead actors' lives. There are certain factions of Duchovny and Anderson fans that hate each other and get seriously invested in their fantardation. The hints in the last year that DD and GA might be romantically involved have sent a few into meltdown territory, which is mildly amusing to watch.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Please feel free! I've been a fan since the original run, so I was in some of those boards during their heyday and they were really intense then. I very occassionally lurk on one or two of them just to see what's being said, but they're mostly calm discussions now about old episodes, or more likely, arguing about the lead actors' lives. There are certain factions of Duchovny and Anderson fans that hate each other and get seriously invested in their fantardation. The hints in the last year that DD and GA might be romantically involved have sent a few into meltdown territory, which is mildly amusing to watch.
    Yeah, I remember one of the fantards came over here not too long ago.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    Yeah, I remember one of the fantards came over here not too long ago.
    lol, marysomething.....I remember her. Fantardation can be one of the most entertaining things in the world, seriously. As for the show......Well, I know I had questions during the first run of my watching it. Lately, I've been watching just whatever I feel like, but I know toward season 5 things start changing. I know some people like the mytharcs and some people hate them, but I really love all of it. I love the episodes with Michael McKean and the little clues left behind.
    Laurent likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Dylan Moran's standup is also great.

love his stuff. saw him live here a few years ago, he had a run of a few weeks at a theater in the village.

hitler, hitler, hitler, hitler
    Rusalka and FashionVictim like this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

lol, marysomething.....I remember her. Fantardation can be one of the most entertaining things in the world, seriously.
    That's one of the things I pray for during long days at work.
    Waterslide likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    love his stuff. saw him live here a few years ago, he had a run of a few weeks at a theater in the village.

hitler, hitler, hitler, hitler
    ^by the way, I did watch some episodes of Black Books last night and it was hysterical! I think my favorite one so far is when they hire the creepy cleaning guy and house sit. I will see if there is any of Dylan Moran's standup around.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    That's one of the things I pray for during long days at work.
    oh, me too, me too!

Well, I know I had questions during the first run of my watching it. Lately, I've been watching just whatever I feel like, but I know toward season 5 things start changing. I know some people like the mytharcs and some people hate them, but I really love all of it. I love the episodes with Michael McKean and the little clues left behind.
    Some of what you may be picking up on is that the tone of the show changed after season 5. It left filming in Vancouver and went to LA and suddenly all the dark, dreariness that added a lot to the show disappeared and suddenly it's sunshine and palm trees. If you're talking in terms of the storylines, season 5 was after the resolution to Scully's cancer and so they focused on a lot of monster-of-the-week type stuff and just put the mytharc in here and there. That's also the season that introduced Diana Fowley. To her credit, Mimi Rogers was so convincing in that role, that I hate her to this day.
    gas_chick and Waterslide like this.

Yes! And for the same reason, and they used to be crazy expensive too. One of my best friends still has his VHS tapes from when they used to sell them by the episode. I saw the full series of Twin Peaks on sale a few years ago for practically nothing and I kick myself for not buying it then. I wasn't fanatical about the show or movie, but I enjoyed it and thought it was kooky.
    Don't get me wrong I'm glad I got them and all but seriously you can buy all 9 seasons for the price of one of the ones I bought when they first came out! I am totally nerd though. I have the action figures and the Barbie's and tons of other stuff. When I first got a computer I spent my evenings reading fan fic.
    Laurent likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Don't get me wrong I'm glad I got them and all but seriously you can buy all 9 seasons for the price of one of the ones I bought when they first came out! I am totally nerd though. I have the action figures and the Barbie's and tons of other stuff. When I first got a computer I spent my evenings reading fan fic.
    I can remember lurking online reading spoiler boards trying to figure out what was going to happen. I also remember that I used to watch with one of my friends who was also a hardcore phile, and we would almost rip each other's arms off if they so much as touched hands. You'd think they were fucking, we were so shocked.
    gas_chick likes this.

Dylan Moran's imitation of Americans had me rolling on the floor. As did his description of the French. There's tons of it up on YouTube.

"Chocolate bread. That's how they start the day. It's only going to escalate from there, by lunchtime you're fucking everyone you know!"
    Waterslide likes this.

I just started season 4 of Rescue Me and have the latest incarnation of Battlestar Gallactica on queue but bailed early on John from Cincinnati and 24.

I think I'm the board's resident XF nut. When I first started working and making money, I shelled out for the entire set of all 9 seasons DVDs. I've watched them countless times through the years, even though I know almost every episode. It's like comfort food to me. If the day has been shit or I'm nervous about something I pop one in and it decompresses me. I'm the same way about The Golden Girls to a slightly lesser degree. My mother doesn't get why I watch the same episodes over and over, but something about it cheers me.
    Ummm golden girls fantard here so I get what you are saying could watch every episode on a loop lol
    Laurent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusalka View Post
    Dylan Moran's imitation of Americans had me rolling on the floor. As did his description of the French. There's tons of it up on YouTube.

"Chocolate bread. That's how they start the day. It's only going to escalate from there, by lunchtime you're fucking everyone you know!"
    I wish I could have seen the tour with him and Ardal.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information