Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Underrated Films

Runaway Train. I must have seen this movie more than ten times. It's funny if I talk about it now, it stars Angelina Jolie's father and Julia Roberts' brother and they have both been in some stinkers but both Jon Voight and Eric Roberts truly shine in this film with some wonderful support by Rebecca de Mornay. The story is fairly simple, a train in Alaska (I think, somewhere very cold, anyway) two escaped inmates and an innocent girl who fell asleep in the train, no brakes. It could be a typical action movie but it's way more.

Second fave underrated movie is Flesh and Blood. Early Verhoeven, young and sexy Rutger Hauer and brilliant Jennifer Jason Leigh and the Middle Ages, crummy and weird and plague-ridden. I just love this movie, it's just insane.

And as Canadian films go, I'm dying to see Last Night, I'd heard about it before and seeing it on this thread reminded me. I hope I find it here somewhere. And I just adore Hard Core Logo. This film is totally cult. Ok... the fact that I have a huge crush on Callum Keith Rennie might have something to do with it.

I would mention Dogfight (love Lili Taylor ever since), Empire Records (it kind of crept up on me), 12 Monkeys (one of my fave sci-fi films ever) but you people did. Excellent films.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Freeway (1996) starring Reese Witherspoon whose character in the film, Vanessa Lutz, is who I strive to be in my everyday life

http://imdb.com/title/tt0116361/

my fave line; "Y'all gotta cigarette?" -Vanessa states matter-of-factly in her southern drawl outside at her grandma's trailer park home after killing the man who raped & killed her grandma and was trying to kill her

seriously one of the sickest, twisted, funniest, true-to-life-in-SoCal, Hooray films of all time! I can watch it over and over and over and over again and never get sick of it or not laugh! It stars a lot of other ppl too like a retarded lesbian Brittany Murphy pre-bulimia-heroin addiction and an evil Kiefer Sutherland post Asshole 80's teen heartthrob part of his career, but this film made me such a fan of Reese back in the day before she was a big star and makes you realize what a great serious actor she really is!

Vanessa: What are ya'll lookin' at? Fuck all ya'll.
    [to Bob and Mimi in court where she's on trial for attempting to murder Bob]
    Vanessa: Fuck you, chipmunk face! And your fuckin' skipper wife!
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0116361/quotes for more hilarious quotes!

U gotta see it to appreciate it!
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; August 30th, 2006 at 04:18 PM.

'romeo is bleeding', for the dark humour and the incredible chemistry between gary oldman and lena olin.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

LynnieD -- Fearless was a great movie.

I absolutely have to agree with Empire Records and Freeway. Two movies I adore!

My nomination for underrated movie is Hurlyburly (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119336/). It has an amazing cast including: Sean Penn, Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright-Penn, Anna Paquin, Meg Ryan, Chazz Palminteri
    debauched.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    LynnieD -- Fearless was a great movie.
    No doubt tulip! Haven't seen it in forever, but its definitely one of those 'have to watch a few times' movies. I recommend it to anyone in need of a good rental...

Just thought of another! 'And the Band Played On'....about the very beginning of the AIDS crisis. Excellent.
    Last edited by LynnieD; August 31st, 2006 at 05:46 PM.

I cant say because I always seem to like movies that everyone else thinks are bad.

Bulworth, ha ha, I thought I was the only one that found it funny. Everytime he starts rapping, I could not stop laughing my arse off. He just looks so possessed, that grin and the way he effortlessly starts rapping, like he's gone insane, is just classic.

Yanna mentioned Runaway Train, I agree. The ending with john voight had me in tears!!!

Thin Red Line was a good movie, but I found some of the scenes and acting in it very distracting in terms of the pace of the movie and place of the movie. Woody Harrelson's scenes I found not effective. Same with George Clooney's cameo at the end which felt so tacked on and forced as if it were solely to put his guest appearance in (at the theater I saw it in, some people actually started to laugh when he appeared). And that part where the guy reads the dear john letter, yeesh. But don't get me wrong, the rest of the movie was beautifully filmed and acted, especially the scenes with jim cavaziel (very haunting). Just those distracting scenes detracted from my overall rating of the movie.

Anyways, here are some of my choices:

-Thirteenth Warrior. A lot of critics absolutely blasted this movie, but I enjoyed it tremendously. The 'bad guys' were scary and creepy, and the action scenes first rate.

-Set it Off. Incredibly powerful and moving acting by an ensemble cast including queen latifah and jada pinkett. I remember some critic (roger ebert?) saying that if the actresses were white and the movie more promoted, they would have been considered for oscar nominations. I'll never forget Queen Latifah's final defiant sequence in the car, and jada pinkett on the bus and final scenes alone.

-Darkman (sam raimi)
    -Army of Darkness (sam raimi)
    -The Game (with michael douglas). This was one heck of an emotional roller coaster!!! Ending was as twisted as sixth sense.

^^^^
    shit, you're right, 'the game' is phenomenal! very twisted and very smart.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The Game totally fucked me up. I was like WHATHETHEHELL IS GOING ON HERE??? Good stuff...

ooh i just remembered 'novocaine'
    went totally unnoticed when it came out, despite being one of the funniest, darkest comedies of recent years. and i mean really dark.
    with steve martin as a dentist, laura dern and helena bonham carter for sheer nuttiness. brilliant comedy that i think everyone should see.

A Life Less Ordinary is one of my favorite movies. I hate Cameron Diaz, but she was actually good in this one. And Ewan McGregor - well, Ewan is just always phenomenal

Totally love "Playing Mona Lisa" starring Alicia Witt. A very sweet coming of age movie. It has an awesome scene with Marlo Thomas & Elliott Gould totally wasted on shrooms and spacing out at the designs on their rugs, lol!

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiParis View Post
    I cant say because I always seem to like movies that everyone else thinks are bad.

Lol, I think that will hold true for the movie I am promoting: Dancer in the Dark with Bjork. Yes, it is weird. Yes, it is sometimes over the top. But it is a well written and emotionally powerful movie, and the actors (including my beloved, Bjork) are truly phenomenol.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168629/

I love love love this movie, but I am rather certain most others would say 'hmmmm. o-kaaaaaaay.'

And btw, you guys are giving me some ideas! I really hope I can find Last Night somewhere, sounds AWEsome.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

There's a Warren Beatty/Diane Keaton movie called Town and Country, and no one seems to think it was good but I loved it! I know stories of constant infidelity are boring to some, and in honesty, the ending was a let down, but theres good parts in it.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information