Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tudors

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I know the history quite well and I still love the show. It is like reading historical fiction. You don't expect it to be dead-on or even very close. Watch the history channel for that.

This show is luscious, dirty fun wrapped in a big, fluffy ruff.

^^Most of the stuff on the history channel isn't all that historical either. I expect liberties to be taken, but this series actually distorts the history and you can't assume that everybody knows history like you do. A lot of my students don't even know who Winston Churchill is for example, never mind Henry VIII.

Bronze Member

I agree with some others about this show being purely entertainment with the suspension of historical accuracy...lol...this is a guilty pleasure of mine and I have all the episodes saved on my DVR...I can't get enough!

Elite Member

I love this show. I don't get Showtime, but I laid down $65 for the season DVD based solely on word of mouth and great reviews and I wasn't at all disappointed. I'd intended to watch maybe two episodes at a time, but had all of them finished over a weekend. I couldn't stop watching if I'd wanted to.

JRM is HOT! My only critique is what someone else already mentioned. He's such a tiny man, it's hard to imagine him as this lethario ruling a country. When I can get past that, I can't imagine anyone else playing King Henry, but JRM. Natalie Darmer (Anne Boleyn) gives JRM a run for his money as a scene stealer. She's gorgeous and plays Anne as I'd always imagined she'd be. Charles Brandon is pretty sexy too.

Season 2 starts tonight and the first two episodes are already on OnDemand. I have seen the season premiere and it is great!
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

A*O

Series 1 is airing here at the moment - we are up to Ep 6 but it feels like Ep99. GOD they are stretching it out. While I don't expect the dialogue to be authentic 16th century English (we probably wouldn't understand half of it), I do wish they wouldn't use such clunking modern terms like "weird" to describe someone. There are other historically inaccurate details too but it's a drama so I'll let that pass. I just wish they would get on with it!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by DoveFeatheredRaven View Post
    Season 2 starts tonight and the first two episodes are already on OnDemand. I have seen the season premiere and it is great!
    Damn, we dont get Showtime in the Netherlands. Luckily I got to see the first season before I left. Ever since the first episode aired, JRM plays a great king and no doubt he is quite a character. No it may not be particularly accurate but it sure as hell keeps me interested. I hope someone here can post lil updates after watching.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Oh yes it's back on. I am not a fan of the casting of JRM as Henry. He is not Henry. But if I just enjoy it as a period piece soap opera, I am fine.

Is he not the prettiest? I think he really is. It's a toss up between him and the girl who plays Anne. She is equally stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by bellini View Post
    Oh yes it's back on. I am not a fan of the casting of JRM as Henry. He is not Henry. But if I just enjoy it as a period piece soap opera, I am fine.

Is he not the prettiest? I think he really is. It's a toss up between him and the girl who plays Anne. She is equally stunning.
    The woman who plays Katharine is just lovely also. They just have her frumped up on the show, obviously.

She is also a singer:

MySpace.com - Maria Doyle Kennedy - Dublin - www.myspace.com/mariadoylekennedy

I think this guy is great looking--

Listen, I don't require that my entertainment be historically accurate when ^^^ is onscreen.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

There was a red-headed, bearded guy who played one of Henry's friends/cohorts the first season who looked a lot more like what I'd imagine King Henry as than JRM.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Am I the only one who thinks Henry's friend, Kristen Holden-Ried "William Compton", looks like Chris Martin of Cold Play?

Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Quote Originally Posted by FierceKiten View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Henry's friend, Kristen Holden-Ried "William Compton", looks like Chris Martin of Cold Play?

Nope, I thought that too!

And Mrs. Dark, I think you are referring to the guy who played Lord Buckingham in Season One:

^^He would have been a perfect Henry.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by DoveFeatheredRaven View Post
    The woman who plays Katharine is just lovely also. They just have her frumped up on the show, obviously.

She is also a singer:

MySpace.com - Maria Doyle Kennedy - Dublin - www.myspace.com/mariadoylekennedy

I think this guy is great looking--

Listen, I don't require that my entertainment be historically accurate when ^^^ is onscreen.
    Queen Catherine of Aragon is my favorite character.
    Henry Cavill is yummy hot!

btw are you into Celtic music?
    Anuna
    Blacksmore's Night?

back on topic....... The only thing that bugs me about the show isn't the fact it's not all that historically correct it's just JRM's over plays his role.... he's to hammy. Bummer it comes on the same time as John Adams on HBO so I ti'vo the Tutors.

Eli

OMGz thankyou!!
    Henry Cavill is ten trillion-kabillion times hotter than the SUN, which really puts into contrast how much hotter I think he is than Rhys-Meyers. Ugh. Barf. Henry Cavill's only 24, too. AMAZING. He looks 30.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information