Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: True Detective on HBO - Jan. 2014

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I'm not a fan of McConaughey either, but he is doing an amazing job on this show. He is creating a very, very vivid character. What I find interesting is that he seems a lot more animated and less spacey when being interviewed by the two detectives, than in the past when he is teamed with Harrelson. Almost like he snapped out of his affectless haze, but is still the bleak quasi-nihilist that he always was.
    Feell the same about RC - in 2012 despite looking much more sketchy/ rambling drunk comes across as being much more solid and together than the 1995/2002 Cohle who while looking the part of the proper polic detective was pretty much coming apart at the edges.

must admit had been enjoying the hell out of the rabbit hole that is the subreddit for TD - they're nitpicking and theorizing the hell out of every little detail (ie, continuity error of someone wearing a MLP friendship is magic towel that woudln't have existed at the time and was so faded you could barely see a pattern = there must be a meaning behind all the horses!!?)

The Tie theory one is pretty funny - i'd post the pic, but its huge and the person who made it updating it each episode with more isntances of ties. It was done as a joke, but done well.

In the last episode Woody's character notes that he never paid enough attention to his family and that he missed things that were "right under his nose." I vote that Maggie's father is in the cult, and that she was abused/indoctrinated into the cult as a child and that her and Woody's 2 daughters have fallen to the same fate. Most likely from an early age given the daughters sexual drawings as a child and morbid doll arrangements. Woody has no idea and is not involved, nor is Mathew's character. That's my theory anyway. 2 more episodes yet - I can't wait!
    MohandasKGanja and Beeyotch like this.

Elite Member

I hadn't thought of that, good one.

I've been avoiding this thread until last night, when we finally caught up with all the episodes. We watched the last 3 this week. There are all kinds of twists and turns that this thing could take. I'm even suspicious of Beth. Her attraction to Marty seemed a little weird to me. Maybe she was seducing and blowing up Marty's marriage at someone else's behest? It seems like it would help derail their initial investigation.

I can't say enough about McConaughey's performance. What I think is kind of funny is how when they interview Nic Pizzolatto at the end of the episodes (is that on the regular broadcasts, or only on On-Demand?), he has almost the exact same affectless demeanor of Rusty Cohle. Very taciturn and never cracks a smile.
    kersalli likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I've been avoiding this thread until last night, when we finally caught up with all the episodes. We watched the last 3 this week. There are all kinds of twists and turns that this thing could take. I'm even suspicious of Beth. Her attraction to Marty seemed a little weird to me. Maybe she was seducing and blowing up Marty's marriage at someone else's behest? It seems like it would help derail their initial investigation.
    I think there is some truth to this. It seems suspect that an attractive young girl (make that the 2nd attractive young girl that we know of) is immediately into Woody's character who's at least 15-20 years older/married/generally doesn't have much going on for himself. I'm actually more suspect of the 2nd girl (former teen prostitute) Lisa. I think there are ulterior motives on her end.

Oh man last nights episode was so good. I almost screamed when they showed the lawn mower guy lol. I can't wait to see how this wraps up!
    Alysheba and kersalli like this.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

Just started watching this, only on the 3rd episode. I'm totally McConnaughey's character, a pessimist. The way his co-workers and everyone else reacts to him, it's why I had to get out of the South.

Elite Member

Tonight is the last episode (that's what I read). How will it end? Can't wait!

----

Wow, MM made me tear up with the story of his daughter.

I never did figure out what MMs last lines were. Anyone know?

Great ending, solid.
    Last edited by Alysheba; March 10th, 2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Avoid double post

fgg

i almost peed my pants - great ending even though (spoiler alert) i'm not sure how either of them survived the attach. MM was being held up by the knife that was jabbed in his stomach and then sliced upward and WH was hit in the chest with a hatchet.
    bonnie lass and Sunrider like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i almost peed my pants - great ending even though (spoiler alert) i'm not sure how either of them survived the attach. MM was being held up by the knife that was jabbed in his stomach and then sliced upward and WH was hit in the chest with a hatchet.
    After reading what happened to Rasputin before he finally succumbed to drowning, I believe that anybody could survive almost anything under certain circumstances.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post

I never did figure out what MMs last lines were. Anyone know?

Great ending, solid.
    His last line (which was the one I had to rewind and rewatch since I missed it) was "If you ask me, lights winning"

Loved this last episode - very satisfying. Some things were answered, others were left hanging, the cohle/hart dynamic (Fuck you, man), everything. Though when discussing it with a friend nearly tied ourselves in knots trying to work out who was who in that family...

Really love that the story felt finished - yes, it could continue and there are ways thing could go, but this particular story thread feels done. I always get annoyed when I watch a finale and feel like half the story is left hanging in order to get you to watch the next season - suspect could be partially why watch a lot more brit shows than american ones.

Season two sounds like it should be interesting ... Nic Pizzolatto when he was asked about in an interview in past day or so said “OK. This is really early, but I’ll tell you [it’s about] hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system,”.

...Okay then.

ETA: I really need to get my hands on the music from this show - loved how each piece of music/songs were picked and fit so well.
    Alysheba and Sunrider like this.

Quote Originally Posted by D'jinn View Post
    ETA: I really need to get my hands on the music from this show - loved how each piece of music/songs were picked and fit so well.
    I read somewhere that the show created a Spotify playlist of all the songs featured on the show. Might be worth checking out.
    Sunrider likes this.

I was a bit disappointed by the last episode. It was lacking of everything: a bigger story about the killer, the victims and also why did Marty's daughter know about the crimes? Everyone had so many theories but in the end it was so "simple". But in all it was a really good serie - I'm just not sure if I'm looking forward to the second season as it is going to be without MM and Harrelson and I think the show was that fantastic because of those two.

There is a bigger story about the killer. That was one of Rusty's laments in the final dialog. Maybe a future season will get into it?

I don't like T. Bone Burnett, but he did a good job with the soundtrack.
    Alysheba likes this.

I dunno..I think the interwebz went a little nuts on this one--looking for clues and Lovecraftian stuff and expecting some shocking revelations at the end, all tied up in a bow. I can agree that from a murder mystery standpoint, it might have disappointed a little, but if I want to see that, I can watch Law & Order. This was a character-driven story about the (true) detectives, their friendship and bond, and how the nature of their job affected their lives and relationships. On that level, I think it was great. As far as more investigation being done about the cult itself, I'm sure it will happen (off camera) because Rust did have that videotape sent out, but tying up the loose ends isn't their job anymore.
    Alysheba, palta and Sunrider like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information