Page 96 of 167 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 2495
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: True Blood-HBO's new vampire series

Hit By Ban Bus!

ASkars might be skankified but Eric is still the man. err, vamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    I actually though season 2 was disappointing. I liked it until they find Godfrey, and then I got bored, there was no real interesting plotline left, only that Maryan thing which they handled pretty badly if you ask me.
    I think not reading the books for a while and then coming back to TB meant that all the deficiencies of season 2 that I'd heard about haven't been all that bad for me - I get what you mean, but the show is still giving me what I want. Hell, I watched the first 7 episodes in a day and a half so it can't be that bad?

I think if I was watching it stretched out, one episode per week, I might not be as enthusiastic. There are bits that are too drawn out and too muddled that you can deal with when you're vegetating and having a marathon, but would be fucking irritating when watching it in its proper serialised, once per week form.

Yeah, maybe watching one episode per week has been the problem, I get what you mean here.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sinking Our Teeth Into Season Three Of 'True Blood'

by David Bianculli

June 9, 2010

Audio for this story from Fresh Air from WHYY will be available at approx. 5:00 p.m. ET

</IMG> HBO Fangtastic Voyage: The cast of True Blood lounges in the bayou of Louisiana, where the show is set. The vampire soap's third season begins Sunday.

June 9, 2010
    I have a friend who teaches a college course in vampires in literature and pop culture — and he teaches a theory that at first I laughed at, but have come to accept.
    His idea is that on film, from the screen silent Nosferatu to the still-creepy Dracula with Bela Lugosi, vampires were depicted as predatory creatures without a conscience, with a thirst for killing as well as blood. Then, in the 1960s, along came a screen vampire who changed all that, who injected angst into the mix, and presented a vampire haunted by his own immortality and appetites.

This new approach, of course, worked well for Frank Langella's swoony vampire in the 80s, and for every undead sex symbol since. On TV, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel wouldn't otherwise exist. Nor would the hunky antihero of TV's Moonlight, or the brooding teens of the cinematic Twilight saga. And who was this pop-culture vampire who changed the undead zeitgeist in the 60s? According to this theory, it was Barnabas Collins, the moody vampire played by Jonathan Frid in Dark Shadows.

I resisted this idea because, to me, Jonathan Frid, as an actor, was more wooden than any of the stakes used as weapons against him. But True Blood, the HBO vampire series created by Alan Ball, offers the best proof that this theory holds water, if not blood. True Blood doesn't even try it hide its origins, its genre, or its intentions. Like Dark Shadows, it's a soap opera, pure and simple. Or, more accurately — it's a soap opera, impure and complicated.

The third season begins Sunday, and picks up at the same place last year's cliffhanger left off. Bill Compton, the vampire lover of southern waitress Sookie Stackhouse, has gone missing. Sookie suspects foul play — and in the universe of True Blood, where vampires co-exist with humans openly and where shape-shifters, demons and other creatures lurk in the shadows — she'd be foolish to think otherwise. So she bravely and boldly stomps into a vampire nightclub called Fangtasia, and demands to see the owner — Eric, a powerful vampire who is in charge of vampires in the bayou backwater. He also has a crush on Sookie, and isn't shy about revealing it.

So far, this particular plot could have been pulled from just about any vampire drama. But where True Blood veers into uncharted territory is in its unapologetic hedonism. Sookie finds Eric in the basement of his nightclub, all right, and confronts him, just as you'd expect. But what's unexpected, and different, is that she finds him having violent sex with a woman who's tied to the wall — a woman who appears both willing and worn out. And when Eric turns his attention to Sookie, he remains naked, throughout the entire scene. Needless to say, this isn't "Twilight," which is more about denial and refusal than attraction and giving in. Anna Paquin stars as Sookie; Alexander Skarsgard plays Eric.

</IMG>
    John P. Johnson/HBO Face Time: Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin) has an interview with a vampire: Eric (Alexander Skarsgard), who has a thing for True Blood's heroine.

"Sookie, meet my new dancer. Yvetta, from Estonia," he says. "Yvetta, meet Sookie — from here."
    He turns to Sookie. "So what brings you to Fangtasia on this balmy night?"
    "Bill's been kidnapped and I think you did it," she says.
    "I didn't," he says. "Any other theories?"
    "I'm still on this one, thank you very much," she says. "Where were you tonight around 11:00?"
    "Here," he says. "With Yvetta."
    "Doing this? For the last six hours?" she says.
    "You seems surprised," he says. "Is Bill's stamina not up to snuff?"

There's a lot of stuff going on in this new season, including the introduction of new characters — werewolves, for example, but a very different breed than in the Twilight films. But what's most refreshing, and most impressive, are the takes this season on the established characters. Sookie's brother Jason and their friend Lafayette, who were two of the wildest and least responsible characters in True Blood, emerge this season as two of the more dependable ones. That's partly because other folks have either vanished or regressed — but it's also because these two Southern men have learned from their mistakes. And Stephen Moyer, as Sookie's kidnapped Bill, is as magnetic and mysterious as ever — a far, far cry from Barnabas Collins.

But hey — this is soap opera, just like the books by Charlaine Harris on which True Blood is based. And Alan Ball and company have injected new blood into their show, so to speak, by giving more screen time to some especially entertaining female vampires: Deborah Ann Woll as Jessica, Bill's young vampire-in-training, and Kristin Bauer as Pam, Eric's unflappable manager at Fangtasia. I've seen the first three of this season's new shows, and, once again, I'm hooked. Or maybe, in this case, I'm bitten.

David Bianculli is TV critic for TVWorthWatching.com and teaches television and film at Rowan University in New Jersey.

Sinking Our Teeth Into Season Three Of 'True Blood' : NPR

Hit By Ban Bus!

Bloody Drama: 'True Blood,' Season Three Premiere

ShareThis| Print Post This | Like (1) | Comments (0)

If you aren't a fangbanger sympathizer yet, the third season premiere of "True Blood" will probably make you one.
    Thanks to our pop culture's healthy interest in the supernatural, "True Blood" an adaptation of the "Southern Vampire Mysteries" novels by author Charlaine Harris has become HBO's latest phenomenon. With its dreamy stars, Southern accents and graphic nudity, the show has attracted millions of viewers, earned a Golden Globe and an Emmy and starts the third season off with a blood-soaked bang. The episode, which airs at 9 p.m. Sunday, June 13, ties up some of the second season finale's loose ends, but it also introduces a whole host of new plot developments that will probably influence many episodes to come.
    The episode, "Bad Blood," begins where September's finale left off: Though vampire Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer) has just proposed to human Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin), he's dragged off before she's able to return from a bathroom break to say yes. Overwhelmed by his kidnapping, Sookie tries to learn more information about where he's gone, but the local police force is unwilling to help because they don't consider Bill a real human and vampire sheriff Eric Northman (Alexander Skarsgard) is too wrapped up in his own attraction to Sookie to care about her concern for her beau. Well, to be fair, he's also busy having sex with a new dancer at his club, Fangtasia.

But Sookie has good reason to worry about Bill: Not only has the vampire been kidnapped, but the guys who grabbed him who introduce themselves as the "Fuck You Crew" are so amazed by their good fortune that while they're speeding away from Bon Temps, La., they're feeding off him like crazy. His strength fading as his blood gets drained from his body, Bill tries to call for help by reaching out to teenager vampire Jessica (Deborah Ann Woll). Because Bill turned her from human into undead, the two share a mental bond except for Jessica is too young to understand Bill's cry, and too horrified about the man she just killed by drinking too much of his blood. Lying next to the body underneath Bill's house, Jessica is unsure of what to do especially when the body's smell begins to waft upward.
    Her anxiety, though, doesn't compare to Tara Thornton's (Rutina Wesley) or Jason Stackhouse's (Ryan Kwanten), who are both torn up over what happened to Benedict "Eggs" Talley (Mehcad Brooks) in the second season. While controlled by the Maenad Maryann (Michelle Forbes), Eggs was responsible for a number of murders in the town as he also pursued a romantic relationship with Tara. Though Eggs eventually realized what he'd done, confusion over his actions led him to attack Detective Andy Bellefleur (Chris Bauer) and in defending Andy, Jason shot Eggs. Now Eggs' death is not only haunting Jason, who sees bullet holes in every one's heads, but also Tara, who spirals into a self-harming depression over the loss of her lover.
    Overall, everyone's got problems and romantic drama to spare. Eric wants Sookie though she frantically searches for Bill. After Andy covers for Jason and says he shot Eggs so Sookie's brother won't go to jail, Jason still can't get back to his normal womanizing self not even two New York University co-eds fooling around in front of him can get him aroused. And though Tara indulges in a one-night stand with a mysterious vampire passing through town, she can't forget what happened to Eggs, no matter how much her cousin Lafayette (Nelsan Ellis) tries to help her do so.
    Part of what makes "True Blood" so addictive is the fine line it walks between supernatural and human: Whether it's vampires worrying about their bank accounts "Hell hath no fury like a vampire queen broke," snarls Vampire Queen Sophie-Anne (Evan Rachel Wood) to Eric or humans fretting over the loss of their lovers, it's a balancing act that suggests an electrifying new season of "True Blood." Some of that excitement will come from a couple of new characters, too, including vampire Franklin Mott (James Frain, who was so good in "The Tudors") and the rugged Alcide Herveaux (Joe Manganiello, who had a season-long stint on primetime soap "One Tree Hill"); both suggest more fantastical twists and turns along the way.
    Of course, the thrills don't hurt, either, unless you're offended by blood, lots of female nudity and a pleasant amount of shirtless Skarsgard which if you are, you wouldn't be watching "True Blood" anyway, would you?
    Written by Express contributor Roxana Hadadi
    Photos by John P. Johnson/HBO

Express Night Out | Television | Bloody Drama: 'True Blood,' Season Three Premiere

Hit By Ban Bus!

New True Blood Photos Reveal More of Season 3!

Wednesday - 11:55AM by BuzzSugar

In case you didn't already get your True Blood fix from those juicy minisodes, here come a ton of fresh photos to give you a look at the new season. These pics, like the first crop of images, are really getting me excited for all of the new characters to come and yes, for more of a shirtless Eric. Oh, and if you're wondering who all the strange faces are, just stay tuned!

View 30 Photos

Sink your teeth into all of the new pics when you read more

The others won't copy but there are LOTS of great new photos at link.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    This! I cannot wait to get some more Eric.
    Who ordered a naked Swede?? MEEEEE!!

laurenshelton2 thinks I'm worse than Claymates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post

Maybe I'll feel that way when the show comes back on, but I doubt it. Every time I see his face now all I see is scabby whore.

Bring on Alcide!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Maybe I'll feel that way when the show comes back on, but I doubt it. Every time I see his face now all I see is scabby whore.

Bring on Alcide!
    To help you along a little...

Rotate photo View full size

TB's makeup team needs to be shot and replaced. it looks like they dipped his face in flour.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sorry, I wasn't looking at his face.

Beeel usually looks even worse. That makeup team can't figure out pale vampire without going into thick layers of white powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    Yeah, maybe watching one episode per week has been the problem, I get what you mean here.
    I think it's because you have to wait and so it's hyped up for you, and then you go "WTF?! Is that it?!!" at the result (I'm trying hard not to do this with Doctor Who at the moment!)

But when you watch it all back to back, it's not as noticable, because you haven't had that week to wonder and hype.

That's my pet theory, and I'll stick to it... and yet more reasons why I tend to watch tv shows on DVD and download rather than when they're on TV!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    TB's makeup team needs to be shot and replaced. it looks like they dipped his face in flour.

Thank you!! I know they are vampires and can't exactly sunbathe, but the make up team needs to ease back on the pale shit. It was really heavy and distracting at some points in season 2 and looked like the actors had been dipped in panstick in shade #2 Gravedust. Mind you, the false eyelashes they seemed to put on some of the actresses were a bit much too. There was a couple of closeups of Sookie where she looked like fucking Bambi.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Three More Days, Bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Thread Information