Page 53 of 167 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: True Blood-HBO's new vampire series

Was it the 3rd one? Isn't the 3rd one the one involving the amnesia and spells and shit? Lorena doesn't (in the books) even enter in until book 4 or so - but the show ain't following the books so who the hell knows?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Isn't the 3rd one the one involving the amnesia and spells and shit?
    No, that's book 4.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    *chuckles* I was wondering where you were last night after the finale ... I'm relying on you for my interim Eric/Alexander fix with pictures and articles!! Hop to it, woman!!
    I finally put my howl of anguish up at my live journal: "Beyond here lies nothin' but questions."

Exclusive: 'True Blood' finale postmortem with Alan Ball!

by Michael Ausiello

Categories: News, True Blood

Though last night’s True Blood finale tied up a bunch of loose ends, it also untied a bunch more! For instance (spoiler alert): Who kidnapped Bill? Why was Eric mostly MIA? Will the Queen return? Are Jessica and Hoyt over? What is Sookie? And that’s for starters. Luckily, series creator Alan Ball agreed to a little post-episode Q&A to finish us off.

Some folks were surprised by the structure of the finale and your decision to wrap up the Maryann story in the first 30 minutes.

ALAN BALL: I try to look at the show as basically almost like it’s a novel, and each episode is a chapter. I guess I’m influenced by the fact that when I watch TV shows, I watch the [DVD] boxed sets. Ultimately, it’s just organically the way it worked out. And the season finale last year was very similar.

Why wasn’t there more Eric in the finale?

BALL: There is a reason for not seeing Eric in the last part of the episode, but if I explain it, I’ll be [giving away] too much.

Will he be prominent next season?

BALL: Yes. Although, when I saw your [latest episode of Ausiello TV], for a moment I thought, we’re going to have to kill Eric, because you are the man. I thought wow, I had many seasons of Eric planned but I guess I’ll have to off him. [Laughs]

Speaking of which, are you surprised at how passionate the Sookie/Eric fans are?

BALL: Yes. I try not to get involved in that because it just sort of — it’s too confusing. I don’t want it to influence what the show is. Personally, I’m like, yes, Eric’s hot, but beyond that he’s dangerous, and I don’t know if he’d love anybody besides himself. What’s the appeal there? The bad boy? The danger?

Why wasn’t Sookie susceptible to Maryann’s powers but Jason was? Do they have
    different parents?

BALL: They have the same parents. We will find out what Sookie is [next season]. There are such things as dominant and recessive genes. Maybe Jason is fundamentally human but he has a trace of some non-human stuff. He’s kind of a ridiculously perfect [human being]. He’s athletic and has that charisma thing, so maybe he had some help in that regard. [Laughs] Ultimately, if you look at percentages, he’s mostly human. Sookie has a stronger genetic predisposition in another direction. People who have read the books know exactly what I’m talking about. People who haven’t, it will be revealed.

What’s up with the Queen’s Yahtzee obsession?

BALL: You’re 400 years old. What are you going to do? [Laughs] It’s something we came up with in the room and we thought it was funny.

Fans are polarized about Evan Rachel Wood as the Queen. A big complaint is that she doesn’t come off scary enough.

BALL: She will. You don’t want to introduce a character you’re going to see later and blow your wad up front. It’s funny because the fans are so rabid. Of course, that’s fantastic. And the fact that they’re so completely wrapped up in the show and they get upset and they think, “I don’t like that! I love that.” It means people are watching and the show is really affecting them. I think of the show as having a long life. You can’t explain everything and blow your wad in the first episode the first time time you introduce a character. All I can say is keep watching. It will make sense.

Will she return next season as a series regular?

BALL: She won’t be a series regular, but she will appear. Every state has its own vampire royalty. We will meet the King of Mississippi. Interesting things happening between him and Evan’s Queen. (Find out who’s just been cast as the King!)

As much as I loved Michelle Forbes’ portrayal of Maryann, the story felt like it dragged on a little long. Why did it take her so long to get to the endgame?

BALL: That’s part of what the queen talks about. They’re always improvising. She really can’t conjure up a God. But she’s so fervent in her belief; she keeps trying this sacrifice and that sacrifice. She’s completely delusional. She killed Miss Jeanette and I think she thought that was going to work. She always thinks it’s going to work. It never does because the God who comes never actually comes. But she so fervently believes that he will, and she’s been believing it for thousands of years. That’s how they were able to outsmart her.

Have we seen the last of her?

BALL: Yes, she’s gone. They destroyed her. She will never rise — which I hate because I love [Michelle], and she was so much fun to work with. She’s really delightful and everyone loves her and we hated to kill her but we had to.

How closely will you follow the third book next season?

BALL: We take the gist of the books, [but] we will depart whenever we feel like it makes better television as opposed to reading. We continue to use the books as templates. But now that I’ve read all nine books there are things that are revealed in later books that we are moving up so that they’ll probably happen in the show earlier than they do in the books.

Will you introduce werewolf Alcide?

BALL: Yes.

Have you cast him?

BALL: No. We will also meet Sam’s blood relatives, the super bad vampire Franklin Mott, we’ll meet Debbie Pelt, we will also meet the people who live in Hotshot a little bit ahead of schedule. We’ve already broken four episodes and I’ve sent two writers out with scripts over hiatus.

Have we seen the last of the Fellowship of the Sun?

BALL: No. Just because Steve got humiliated, they still exist. And maybe he’s angrier than ever.

The fact that Jason killed Eggs has me thinking you might restart the Jason-Tara
    love story next season. Will you?

BALL: Certainly, Jason is going to be consumed with guilt. And he’s going to feel like, “I’ve ruined her life and I’ve got to make her feel better.” Whether that’s wise in any way shape or form remains to be seen. I think Tara certainly gave up on her obsession with Jason, but now that she’s dealing with the worst thing that ever happened to her, she might be more vulnerable to his charms.

Is Tara ever going to be in a happy relationship?

BALL: Happy relationships are boring. We all want them in our own life. But I don’t want to watch them on TV.

Any plans to give Lafayette a boyfriend?

BALL: Yes.

Anything imminent?

BALL: Nothing I can talk about. But certainly we will see more and more of Lafayette. He built a lot of walls around himself. But we will see him get vulnerable next year — and not just being afraid of Eric.

Any regrets killing off Godric? As I’m sure you’re aware the character was very well-received.

BALL: There’s no regret in killing him off because I think that [story was] really powerful. That was my favorite thing about the second book. However, we can always go back in history. He and Eric had a relationship for a thousand years. We can always go back and see him again.

Are Hoyt and Jessica doomed?

BALL: They still love each other. But there will be problems — as you probably could tell based on last night’s episode.

You do realize how awesome those two are together, right?

BALL: I totally know that.

How long do we have to wait for season 3?

BALL: It’s probably going to premiere around the same time it did this year. We’re going to try to shoot one episode before the Christmas break. I don’t know if HBO will bring the show back earlier, but it certainly won’t be later.

Is there anything I’m forgetting to ask you?

BALL: I’m surprised you didn’t ask who took Bill.

Who took Bill?

BALL: It was Hoyt’s mother.

Exclusive: 'True Blood' finale postmortem with Alan Ball! | Ausiello | EW.com

Hmmm, I really hate how he's so cavalier about the fans' response to the episode. We MADE you, bitch.

And may i add that AB seems to share my opinion that Eric is a bad guy to be involved with?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    ^^^ If they're using the books as a guideline (which is what they said they're doing, but ONLY as a guideline), Lorena has a big plot in another book (third, I think?), which is another reason why I think it was Lorena that snatched Bill. She is annoying, but they really didn't have much backstory to her in the books at all, so it was interesting seeing that on TB for me.
    Yep, Lorena appears in the third book, and she's the one who took Bill in the book.

I hope they cast someone good for Alcide, we wouldn't want another ERW, even if Alan takes it lightly, she really ruined the character with her bad acting.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I think he's trying to say the Queen's character is purposely being something she's not: she likes pretending and living in a fantasy world because she is powerful enough to make that fantasy happen. The fake dayroom, the Yahtzee obsession, she likes pretending she's fun and games but her attacks on Eric and threats toward Bill reveal her predatory power-hungry nature. What Alan Ball is missing is that ERW's acting bubbly largely sucks and that's what a lot of fans are reacting to I think, not just hating the character. I mean I hated MaryAnn for what her character did but her acting was fantastic, it was fun to hate her. I think the Queen character would be really kick-ass and well received if it had been better cast with a better actress.

*eta-doh! you beat me to it above..

I hope they cast someone good for Alcide, we wouldn't want another ERW, even if Alan takes it lightly, she really ruined the character with her bad acting.
    Oh yes. I hope they don't blow it with sexay Alcide. I loved that storyline.

See, this is where having read the books sucks because I *know* how Queen Sophie-Anne is *supposed* to be and ERW (and the writers too, obviously, she didn't do it on her own) has made her almost the opposite of what she was in the books. And she was cool in the books ... I think one of the most dynamic and interesting in the series. I wonder where the hell Andre is? Andre, in the books, was this little impish right hand vampire who was evil. He was never far away from her EVER, so not seeing him yet makes me wonder if he's going to be in TB at all. There is a rather .... shivery .... scene between him, Sookie and Eric later in the series that I am looking forward to.

Spoiler: Later in the series, the Queen makes Sookie work for her as her telepath (which, going off track here, I never understood why the vampires' need for a telepath was so great ... they didn't care what humans thought and at the big events where the telepaths were used, it was mostly vampires attending ... every time I read about it, it made me feel like Charlaine Harris was making it up just so that she'd have a reason to have Sookie in the thick of all these very important vampires). Anyway, at one particular point, Andre doesn't trust Sookie and wants to blood bond her to him so that he can be aware of her thoughts/keep her closer kind of thing. Sookie is mortified, because Andre is, well, an evil, icky vampire. Eric comes forward and persuades Andre to let Eric be the blood bond (since Eric works for the Queen too), especially since they have an already established bond and another will only make it stronger. The only problem is that Andre demands it be done NOW in a garage or stairwell or something, so Eric takes Sookie into this ceremonial hooded cape he's wearing and cuts himself right above his nipple so that Sookie can feed and .... and ... and ... they have a moment. And then some.

Hit By Ban Bus!

BALL: Yes. I try not to get involved in that because it just sort of — it’s too confusing. I don’t want it to influence what the show is. Personally, I’m like, yes, Eric’s hot, but beyond that he’s dangerous, and I don’t know if he’d love anybody besides himself. What’s the appeal there? The bad boy? The danger?
    Well, I guess that answers that fucking question, does it not? Ball doesn't even fricking understand his own character. He can't understand why the fans are gaga? He can't understand that Eric is more than a dangerous bad boy? Where has he been while this character was progressing? Was he asleep during Eric's scenes with Godric? Was it a GD accident Eric is great character? Ball is a fucking idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Well, I guess that answers that fucking question, does it not? Ball doesn't even fricking understand his own character. He can't understand why the fans are gaga? He can't understand that Eric is more than a dangerous bad boy? Where has he been while this character was progressing? Was he asleep during Eric's scenes with Godric? Was it a GD accident Eric is great character? Ball is a fucking idiot.
    Funny because I thought Eric is far more sensitive and fragile as a being than asshole Bill. He just doesn't deny himself. And I thought like this before the whole Godric thing.
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

I want to say I feel like Ball sort of meant those as rhetorical questions to get fans thinking beyond how hot Eric is. But duh, I think many if not most already see that. Clearly Eric can love someone besides himself, he loved Godric and that's what made him more interesting than just a dangerous bad-boy character. It's pretty obvious and I have a hard time thinking the series creator wouldn't see that. Maybe he just doesn't give fans enough credit for figuring it out themselves? If so, it's insulting.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by caramel View Post
    Funny because I thought Eric is far more sensitive and fragile as a being than asshole Bill. He just doesn't deny himself. And I thought like this before the whole Godric thing.
    I agree with this completely. I too have felt Eric was far more capable of "human" feeling than Bill. All Bill cares about is Sookie. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I want to say I feel like Ball sort of meant those as rhetorical questions to get fans thinking beyond how hot Eric is. But duh, I think many if not most already see that. Clearly Eric can love someone besides himself, he loved Godric and that's what made him more interesting than just a dangerous bad-boy character. It's pretty obvious and I have a hard time thinking the series creator wouldn't see that. Maybe he just doesn't give fans enough credit for figuring it out themselves? If so, it's insulting.
    It is insulting. I can only hope Ball is lying his ass off to mislead us but goddamn that's no way to bring back the fans for a third season.

I triple and quadruple agree that Eric has the ability to feel more human than Bill! Bill looks numb, and programed, like a zombie. Eric is so much more than that, Besides, to see that he has such a tormented past, of course he can feel more in the way of emotions than Bill. We have seen such a range in him and Bill...pfft. Diddly squat.

And Bills character hasnt changed one bit since episode one, still predictable Bill.

But Eric, now there is a tortured protgonist!! And a hottie at that!!
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Bill does have a few endearing plots in the books. Even in the later books where his role is diminished greatly, he has a few moments that tugged at my heart. And the Godric thing .... all that happened in the book with the huge exception of Godric was NOT Eric's maker in the books, so him showing massive deference to his maker, risking his very existence to save his maker, pleading desperately with his maker to not commit suicide, and then even saying he would commit suicide with him, was all added by True Blood. So SOMEBODY on his writing team (it possibly could have even been him, I'm not sure who wrote that episode and I'm too lazy to look ... even though, as creator of the series, I would think he would have a major say in every script whether he's the credited writer or not) gave Eric a HUGE heart very early in the series that was not evident in the books early in the books, if you get my meaning. I really don't think AB meant it the way he said it. He can NOT be that oblivious to the development of a major character on his own series.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    I finally put my howl of anguish up at my live journal: "Beyond here lies nothin' but questions."
    Wonderful synopsis and thoughts, Sasha. AB should have put the Maenad story in the back
    ground and concentrated on the FOS line. His bad.
    Coffee is my happy drug

Thread Information