Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Story 3

Bronze Member

Very much 3 part was pleasant. At me is 1,2. Madly I love animated cartoons. 3 part has turned out better, than 1 and 2.

I liked it but there were some parts that were certainly dark. That baby doll would have freaked me out as a kid. And the evil teddy with abandonment issues who couldn't be redeemed?? Again, a bit dark.

^^^
    you say it like that's a bad thing. the darkness is part of why i loved it so much. most kids' movies seem to assume kids are idiots who can't handle anything even slightly negative. it's the difference between movies in the past 10-15 years and the ones i watched growing up. or old fairy tales - those were scary! anyone remember reading the original brothers grimm fairy tales, or hans christian anderson? there was a lot of darkness, sadness and evil in those. and that's what makes them so good. i remember as a kid i would be scared and suffer alongside the characters but i would also beg my parents to read me those stories again and again.
    Last edited by sputnik; July 17th, 2010 at 04:12 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah, some kid started wailing near the end when it looked like the characters were done for, and parents were all "omg it's too much for my kid, i can't take them to see that!"

.. actually no, it shows your kid was empathizing with the characters and really wrapped up in the story. It WAS sad, supposed to be sad, and you should feel it!

Don't block your kids off from that, good lord.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This argument? Again? Really? I said it was dark. That's it.

Bloody brilliant! I thought it was less far-fetched and the situations more believable than 2012! The storyline was great... how they used the toy baskets like prisons was clever and while I agree that it was dark, I don't think it's a bad thing. I did hear a parent complain about the scene where they falling towards the fire and all grabbed hands. She was saying "That is really depressing, too hard on a child's mind" blah blah. Mindblowing that parents are so desperate not to expose their kids to reality. That scene was true to life, and very sad, and I knew they'd be saved somehow, but had they died, I would have bawled! It was intense.

The bear and the baby creeped me out, particularly the bear. But I thought it was good how none of the characters (like the bear) died so the message wasn't "kill the bad guy".

I went to the 3D show, and loved the short film "Day & Night" before the movie. Thought that was super clever!

A*O

I LOVE "The Claw!" guys. The scene that finally did me in was when the mother goes into her son's empty room and realises he's grown up and doesn't need her any more. My son is rapidly reaching that age and while I've done everything in my power to cut the cord I know that when that moment happens to me I'll be a soggy, blubbering mess and he'll be rolling his eyes with embarrassment. Ah yes, mothers and sons. Damn you Dr Freud.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

Saw it with DH and the kids. I was bawling like a baby at the end. Although I really wanted the end to be Andy pulling his toys out of the attic and giving them to his own children, I thought the way it really ended was very touching as well. Andy is a real sweetheart.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information