Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Top Chef: Season 2

HOLY SHIT! i can't believe that!!! this is too damn juicy. i really hate this bastard, but agree with him about focusing on the food.

does anyone hate gail simmons as much as me? she seems like such a snotty bitch. wonder what she'll think about this, er, slip-up? this is definitely better n' the show, that's for darn sure...
    The first step to acquiring wisdom is to admit that you really know nothing.

I'll bet Bravo and the advertisers are pissed!

Hopefully pissed enough to drop Food and Wine as a sponsor(Gourmet would be such a better sponsor) therefore, firing Gail!

Quote Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
    I'll bet Bravo and the advertisers are pissed!

Hopefully pissed enough to drop Food and Wine as a sponsor(Gourmet would be such a better sponsor) therefore, firing Gail!
    I bet you are right. By Wednesday night the news will really spread and alot of people are not going to watch the big finale..lol You know how it is. If anybody reads this online and knows of anyone who watches the show they will tell them, "Hey I saw online..." LOL!

There is still a slight chance that it was fake..or that they have alternate articles for the final two..but looks very much like a terrible screw-up by some poor soul at Fewd and Whine Mag. I wonder if Gail has been bitching and screaming like a banshee?(first BURNT. RUBBERY. EGGS..and now THIS!!!) Oh to be fly on the wall at Fewd and Whine or Bravo!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

lmao!! (burnt.rubbery.aigs) the article looks real (sufficiently fawning); as real as padma's mesmerizing beauty, for certain!

i'm gonna go over to the bravo boards and see if the word has spread...
    apparently, FW is now claiming that they prepped two articles in advance of the finale, profiling both chefs, and that some "intrepid fan" found ilan's on their server, and they want to now share both profiles with everyone...hmmmm....
    ("spoiler," but not really, ahead!)

http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/...lls-all-marcel
    Bravo’s New Top Chef Tells All
    How did Marcel Vigneron, the 26-year-old with the big hair and the controversial personality, beat out 14 other contestants to become Top Chef on the Bravo reality show? And why is he so obsessed with xantham gum anyway? Kate Krader finds out.
    By Kate Krader
    Reality TV competitions generally follow a formula. There’s the villain who makes it very far—generally to the finals—before losing to the hero. It happened in the first season of Bravo’s hit show Top Chef, with tough-girl Tiffani Faison and adorable Harold Dieterle. But in season two, the scenario was slightly different. In the finals on Hawaii’s Big Island, the competition came down to two complicated and talented men who were more difficult to typecast: Marcel Vigneron, the pariah of the group, and his arch-rival Ilan Hall. Few thought Marcel would win. But when it was time for one chef to pack his knives and go, Ilan was sent home and Marcel was the surprise winner.

What will Marcel do with his Top Chef winnings, which include a fully-loaded Sears Kenmore kitchen and $100,000? He plans on taking a year to apprentice at restaurants around the world before opening up a place of his own, on Bainbridge Island near Seattle (where his parents live) or, more likely, San Francisco. "For the style of cooking I do, I need to be in a big city," he says.

Throughout the competition, Marcel created some of the series’ most memorable dishes—both successful and not. Viewers might remember him from an early QuickFire challenge in which contestants invented an ice-cream flavor. Marcel had the brilliant idea to serve scoops of avocado ice cream on a Los Angeles beach. (Needless to say, it bombed.) He did come out on top during an episode in which the chefs were challenged to create a recipe using a Kraft product. Marcel chose mayonnaise, mixing it with curry to make a beautiful, elegant sauce for lamb kebabs. But this was one of only two QuickFire challenges he won throughout the entire season.

"We were all surprised that Marcel made it to the finals," says Top Chef judge Gail Simmons of Food & Wine magazine, describing the showdown in which the chefs created riffs on classic Hawaiian recipes. "But his pineapple poi with hamachi poke bound with xantham gum and his deconstructed salmon lomi lomi topped with tomato foam made him a shoo-in to get to the last round. The dish was modern and very molecular gastronomic, but it was also delicious."

Marcel’s obsession with molecular gastronomy grated on his fellow contestants’ nerves throughout the series, but it ultimately helped him stand out in a very competitive field. Molecular gastronomy, the application of science to cooking, has been one of Marcel’s passions since he was a student at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York (the same cooking school, incidentally, that Ilan attended), using ingredients and equipment typically found in science labs—think methyl cellulose and immersion circulators. Marcel also has a penchant for topping his dishes with foam, a favorite of the culinary avant-garde—a habit the other contestants mocked.

For a chef who idolizes the techniques of the science lab, Marcel has a very down-home background. Though he was born in Kansas and lived for a while in Southern California, he spent his teenage years on quaint Bainbridge Island. He became interested in cooking at a young age, when his mother took him to a bakery where she worked; his earliest food memory is making his own pumpkin pie from his mother’s leftover dough.

Marcel eventually made his way to the Culinary Institute of America, but his most eye-opening experiences may have come from backpacking around Europe for four months. "It was the first time I saw culture interacting with food," he recalls. Surprisingly, the places that made the biggest impression on him weren’t the avant-garde restaurants. "I loved the tapas in Spain," he says, "and the simplicity of everything in Italy."

Marcel was working at Jöel Robuchon at the Mansion in Las Vegas, living in a bachelor apartment with a few other young chefs similarly fascinated with molecular gastronomy, when he heard about the Top Chef audition through a local newsletter, Eye on Vegas. "My video was totally improv," he says. "I shot half of it in the Robuchon kitchen and half of it in my kitchen at home. I made coffee caviar with sodium alginate and calcium chloride." His application form wasn’t quite so scientific. "Chicken wings are my favorite snack," he confides. "When I was auditioning for Top Chef, I wrote ’chicken wings’ all over the application forms." He makes chicken wings at Robuchon, but an haute version, deboned and filled with forcemeat (an elegant meat stuffing).

To win the title, Marcel had to endure one of the more harrowing experiences on the show. Late one night in the Top Chef dorm, Elia Aboumrad, the Mexico City-born chef who made it to the final four, announced that she’d always wanted to shave her head. Then, giggling madly, she did it, and Ilan followed suit. Caught up in the craziness of the moment, contestant Cliff Crooks decided to shave Marcel and dragged him off the couch where he was napping, pinning him to the ground, while the contestants, including nice-guy Sam Talbot, looked on and did nothing. "I think it looked worse on TV than it was in real life," says Simmons. Still, Cliff was promptly kicked off the show.

Hair, oddly, was a big motif of this season’s Top Chef. Indeed, in person, the thing you notice first about Marcel is his hair. The dramatic swoop is easily the show’s most recognizable ’do. Marcel is short and intense with big eyes, and he’s fond of using surfer phrases like "dude" and "gnarly" that don’t jibe with his looks. Although he spends the majority of the time in Robuchon’s kitchen, however, he’s surprisingly outdoorsy and likes mountain biking and rock climbing at nearby Red Rock Canyon. "I knew I was going to like my job, but I was surprised at how much I like Vegas," he says.

"Marcel can come off as a know-it-all, but he doesn’t take cooking for granted," says Simmons. "He’s a big nerd, while the other contestants are like the cool kids. But he’s passionate and just wants to learn."

Although Marcel’s competitors often accused him of arrogance, he can be quite modest. When asked early in the competition about the chefs he thought would make it to the finals, he answered, "Elia, because she’s so focused. Her station is always clean and her technique is great. Ilan, he’s got a lot of talent and will focus on his capabilities. And, lastly, it’s a toss-up between Sam and Cliff." Interestingly, he didn’t choose himself.

This article originally appeared in March, 2007.

Hmmmm, wondering if Bravo & FW were incahoots on these? Did someone quickly post a this new red herring, trying to cya, or was all this intentional to begin with?? It's starting to look all intentional. I'm starting to seriously doubt, w/ all the ad revenues riding on the finale, that one of Bravo's partners, FW in this would make such a fatal error. Perhaps they're just trying to create buzz??? I'm starting to feel kinda duped...

On the other hand, I don't really think I can stomach Biddy another ep...thank god for dvr!
    Last edited by simone; January 30th, 2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: just found new info

Looks like Food and Wine are just trying to cover their butts

Well it is now obvious that Fewd and Whine were trying to cover their butts. Liars. Bravo and Fewd and Whine both suck ass. Fuck You Bravo, Fewd and Whine, Ilan the prickbrain asshole who said Harold of last season was a 'boring motherfucker"(..grrrr. I love Harold and EvIlan is not 1/10 the guy Harold is)., Betty the toothy screeching Harridan, Elia the traitorous bitch, Sam the fucking weasel, Mike the piece of lowdown gutter shit, Frank the fucktard bully from hell, Marisa the pasty pastry whore,etc. etc. I hate all of you and never want your fucking faces ever to be on my television screen again you dirty, sneaky, lying, evil fuckstick asshat going-to-burn-in-the-very-hottest-part-of-hell asswipes of Satan!!!

*and wtf was Marcel on during that online interview thing on Bravo after the show?..was he drunk or high or what??..oh well. I don't blame hime having to sit next to Top Douchef asshat Ilan and Andy Incoherent the fuckstick penis-breathed mouthpiece shittard of Bravo.*

*Oh and by the way Andy Asshole, looks like Top Design is going to be just as much a shitfest as this past painful, awful season of Top Douchef was..but of course you are nothing but a turdball minion jabberjockey for Bravo and are only concerned about the DRAMA!!! and are as much of a ratings whore as the Giant clusterfuck that is Bravo! Tv. I hope a comet lands on your fucking facilities and kills you all.*

---rant over----

sorry was just in a really shit mood when I wrote this..I guess it shows.
    Last edited by Sojiita; February 1st, 2007 at 04:07 AM.

Don't hold back Sojita!

"Top Douchechef"

I thought it was nice of Sam to go to bat for Marcel and he redeemed himself somewhat till he tried to take all the credit for Marcel's fishless dish. I think they were about equal on that but whatever.

Marcel should not have chosen the eternal slacker Michael. Mia would have worked hard for him.

I can't believe that Ilan won w/ that fucking lame-ass menu! The dessert looked absolutely fabulous, but those short-ribs? I think in the end, Marcel's history brought him down. You can't be a good chef if you can't lead, and you can't lead if ppl hate you. He really does need to spend some time in a Ramsey bootcamp and get his ego broken down bit by bit. He could be great after that.

Ilan is such a fucking prick, and I wanted to vomit everytime I saw that hag Betty's teeth...

Last season was lightyears better than this. I hope they do better next season or this show will go bye-bye.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Well it is now obvious that Fewd and Whine were trying to cover their butts. Liars. Bravo and Fewd and Whine both suck ass. Fuck You Bravo, Fewd and Whine, Ilan the prickbrain asshole who said Harold of last season was a 'boring motherfucker"(..grrrr. I love Harold and EvIlan is not 1/10 the guy Harold is)., Betty the toothy screeching Harridan, Elia the traitorous bitch, Sam the fucking weasel, Mike the piece of lowdown gutter shit, Frank the fucktard bully from hell, Marisa the pasty pastry whore,etc. etc. I hate all of you and never want your fucking faces ever to be on my television screen again you dirty, sneaky, lying, evil fuckstick asshat going-to-burn-in-the-very-hottest-part-of-hell asswipes of Satan!!!
    ITA... Also, I think Marcel's downfall was not only his history, but the people he picked. I agree that he should have picked Mia. I'm sure he thought Sam was a good choice because he's such a good chef, but in the end, Sam couldn't stop himself from trying to sabotage Marcel. It's really sad how juvenile all of these people acted. I fucking HATE Ilan.

When it was down to Ilan and Marcel, I had a feeling they would pick Ilan. I was kinda rooting for Marcel, but for the silliest reasons: I love his crazy Wolverine hair and I would've loved to see Betty pissed! Even though the judges say it's not a personality contest, it seems like Marcel's bitchiness was considered at the end. Don't get me wrong- I think Ilan is a jerk, too.
    I love how Elia was more or less pals w/ Marcel in the beginning, but ended up on Team Ilan! Is it just me, or did Ilan and Elia seem quite cozy together w/ all those cheek kisses? And their mutual head shavings? Elian Forever! j/k

Hahahahaha! Yes! Anyone but Marcel! Little groundhog.....I truly enjoyed watching karma come back and kick his ass. This is what happens when you are a narcissistic, arrogant prick who talks down to everyone you work with and suck up to everyone you work for. When it comes to needing a team.....hahahahaha.....they fucked him big time....hahahaha....I love it!!!!!!

Where's your chicken, hairboy!?!?!?!?! Hahahahahahaha

It was a lot of fun watching that smug smile get wiped off of his face...and what a poor loser....he whined through his very last moment of his very last interview......good riddance.....

^^Booooo. While I didn't neccessarily like Marcel, I think he got a raw deal from the other contestants. I hated this season so much, I didn't like anyone and didn't give a damn who won.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrychip View Post
    When it was down to Ilan and Marcel, I had a feeling they would pick Ilan. I was kinda rooting for Marcel, but for the silliest reasons: I love his crazy Wolverine hair and I would've loved to see Betty pissed! Even though the judges say it's not a personality contest, it seems like Marcel's bitchiness was considered at the end. Don't get me wrong- I think Ilan is a jerk, too.
    I love how Elia was more or less pals w/ Marcel in the beginning, but ended up on Team Ilan! Is it just me, or did Ilan and Elia seem quite cozy together w/ all those cheek kisses? And their mutual head shavings? Elian Forever! j/k
    Elia and Betty and Ilan were all just 'girlfriends' if ya know what I mean..and wtf with Ilan wanting to piss on Marcel? Gee kinky much Ilan ya FREAK!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    Hahahahaha! Yes! Anyone but Marcel! Little groundhog.....I truly enjoyed watching karma come back and kick his ass. This is what happens when you are a narcissistic, arrogant prick who talks down to everyone you work with and suck up to everyone you work for. When it comes to needing a team.....hahahahaha.....they fucked him big time....hahahaha....I love it!!!!!!

Where's your chicken, hairboy!?!?!?!?! Hahahahahahaha

It was a lot of fun watching that smug smile get wiped off of his face...and what a poor loser....he whined through his very last moment of his very last interview......good riddance.....
    Hahahahaha!~!! See I TOLD YA you would like Top Chef! If only to hate on Marcel and see him lose..(fuck you! lol)

Marcel was the REAL winner! *sobs*

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread Information