Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien

Im watching last night's ep again before the new one starts. can u tell im just a wee bit obsessed? lol

I am so kicking myself for moving out of my old neighborhood. He's filming all his skits in places we went to or drove by daily.

I love Conan.

I love his NY vs. CA driver's licenses. Hilarious!!
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I know I can't believe the NY one was for real. It looked like a mugshot!

I was kind of sad that they changed the In The Year 2000 to 3000...It was much funnier when it didn't make sense.

Beeyotch I was lucky enough to see the opening show and it was really good. I think Conan is just what the Tonight Show needed and will be really successful. He's funny as shit - just look at all 6'5" of that ginge with wild hair, I love him. When the fuck did critics ever get anything right when it came to good tv anyway. I hope you get to go because you will love his banter with the audience between sets.

Landerq I don't know how many Pearl Jam shows you've been to but from your statement I would doubt few to none. First of all they played a NEW song, so no one (excluding pertinent individuals) has ever heard the "studio" version of "Got Some" to compare his vocals to for how it's supposed to sound. Secondly being in the audience, IMO he sounded like Ed live with no backtrack running and similar to what I have heard him for some 18 years now. (seemed like the sound board on HULA had the guitars turned way up and his voice real low). He hit it on the money so I don't get your comment. The band was tight as ever and vocals were sweet. I see your Jimi avie and was curious that you dogged Ed but failed to mention or credit Mike's mad Hendrixian style, (he was playing the blonde Les Paul Jr and hopping around the stage) particularly on this track, (he also plays in a Hendrix cover band Shadow86 around the left coast - really good, check them out if in the neighborhood). So to answer your question as asked there is nothing fucking wrong with Ed's fucking voice that I could fucking hear. Methinks you may not know what you speak, but that's just my opinion of what I saw and heard LIVE. He's doing an East Coast solo tour which begins June 8, has been running coast to coast to finish the record, has 2 very young children, some reasons which might account for him looking a bit tired.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Quote Originally Posted by WesCAdle View Post
    Beeyotch I was lucky enough to see the opening show and it was really good. I think Conan is just what the Tonight Show needed and will be really successful. He's funny as shit - just look at all 6'5" of that ginge with wild hair, I love him. When the fuck did critics ever get anything right when it came to good tv anyway. I hope you get to go because you will love his banter with the audience between sets.

Landerq I don't know how many Pearl Jam shows you've been to but from your statement I would doubt few to none. First of all they played a NEW song, so no one (excluding pertinent individuals) has ever heard the "studio" version of "Got Some" to compare his vocals to for how it's supposed to sound. Secondly being in the audience, IMO he sounded like Ed live with no backtrack running and similar to what I have heard him for some 18 years now. (seemed like the sound board on HULA had the guitars turned way up and his voice real low). He hit it on the money so I don't get your comment. The band was tight as ever and vocals were sweet. I see your Jimi avie and was curious that you dogged Ed but failed to mention or credit Mike's mad Hendrixian style, (he was playing the blonde Les Paul Jr and hopping around the stage) particularly on this track, (he also plays in a Hendrix cover band Shadow86 around the left coast - really good, check them out if in the neighborhood). So to answer your question as asked there is nothing fucking wrong with Ed's fucking voice that I could fucking hear. Methinks you may not know what you speak, but that's just my opinion of what I saw and heard LIVE. He's doing an East Coast solo tour which begins June 8, has been running coast to coast to finish the record, has 2 very young children, some reasons which might account for him looking a bit tired.
    What I heard on Hulu sounded like shit. Shit sounds like shit no matter how many shows one may or may not have attended. (Unfortunately, I was too busy playing in my own bands back then while making a living and having a life to have time to follow Pearl Jam around the country.) What in the world difference does it make if it was a NEW song and no one heard it before to compare vocals? I was surprised because I always admired Vedder's voice and thought he had one of the best voices out there.

Now, if you were there and say it didn't sound like shit, I believe you. Actually, it makes me feel better and less depressed about the whole thing. I see no need to get so defensive or upset, but since you obviously are quite a bit obsessed with these guys, I can understand it and I'm sorry to have offended you so heartily.

Now in the best tradition of 1992, let's all put on our best flannel shirts, act very laid back and not overreact to unimportant things and attack people for their opinions. Remember?
    Last edited by landerq; June 5th, 2009 at 08:13 AM.

A buddy of my husband's who has been in a band for years and years said it sounded like Pearl Jam's sound and mixing equipment was really off for their Conan performance...I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan, and I trust his opinion as more objective (or at least experienced) than my own so I'll take his comment into consideration for how it sounded.

Wes-you got to see it LIVE??? How long did you have to wait in line? I am green with envy!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Conan In The Mushroom Kingdom?

Conan took over The Tonight Show earlier this week (or maybe last week) and I haven't seen him yet, but I have to tune in tonight just to see his set at work. Anybody who uses Super Mario Bros. as their inspiration for anything is gold in my book. I'm assuming that this is intentional. It has to be. I think. I hope.
    Conan In The Mushroom Kingdom? | Dlisted
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Yeah, Wes, how did you figure out where to request tickets ahead of time? I was looking around nbc's web site in March and all I got was old info. And something about snail mail request (yeah right!) or calling Universal's ticket office or something that wasn't really clear. I only recently found out you could request tickets by email, which is easiest and makes the most sense.

*^mrs.v, I read that and was floored! What an adorably nerdy nod to Mario Bros! How cute. I wonder if Conan knows? I didn't watch last night...

Of course he knew! That is the cutest idea-looks neat with the blue/silver . Nothing he does is accidental!
    Will you all note the inside lining of his suit jacket sleeve? Every night it is lined in stark white & a bit distracting. The openings seem a wee big,too. I wonder if that is for extra gesturing room or what.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Whoa, so much for having an opinion...

The brain doesn't need blood. It just needs to be kept wet.

Quote Originally Posted by landerq View Post
    What the living fuck happened to Eddie Vedder? I just got done hearing them on Hulu and he really, really sucked. He looked rather sheepish and was out of tune with his voice cracking. Really bad.
    Landerq, I tend to react strongly when people make generic statements about someone and then infer or speculate something sinister is behind it and that’s how I read your initial remark. Had you stated a sentence or so from your second comment I would have never even responded. My bad for taking it as an undeserving inference on a really nice person. However, when someone posts something hazy and you call them on it because you really know what’s up, posters get all pissy and rant about social and moral fortitude. It was not necessary to patronize my comments. I was playing in a band too back then and working three shitty jobs besides to make ends meet too. No picnic, I know. I also stated several times in my comment that I was expressing my opinion even attempting to throw in a bit of humour on it. Seriously dude, obsession? Pretty strong word. Ever think I may have a vested interest? That’s all I got to say about that. It’s too bad your band didn’t make it - very, very few lucky sonofabitches did and there were a hell of a lot of really talented people out there playing at the time. Even most of the ones that did do well, no longer exist as a unit anymore and are off on other adventures, some no longer on this playing field. Throw of the dice, brah.
    In reply to Remember?,just to clarify, in 1992 I was in no way calm, laid back, nor understated in whatever the cause du jour was at the time. As Jack Endino said in Hype! Seattle bands were inconsistent live performers, since their primary objective was not to be entertainers, but simply to "rock out." However, concerts did involve a level of interactivity; fans and musicians alike would participate in stage diving, crowd surfing, headbanging, pogoing, and moshing.”
    Not exactly a blunt filled evening of soothing pass the pipe moments, but more like a rage of hormones and general pissiness energy unleashed at everything and everyone. Think you may have my friends and me confused with hippies. Eerily similar but polarly different at the same time. So over it!

Beeyotch and McJag, in answer to your ticket questions, I was graciously given a ticket and readily accepted it since I was an ardent fan of his late show for years. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time moment. Not positive but I believe the first week of shows, the tickets were largely invitational and each guest, staffer, NBC execs, record co, industry people, etc. got so many tickets each to spread the word. Seemed like a fairly large NYC contingent of regulars was there as well. There may have also been some available at the box office, I don't know. Everyone should be able to get tickets through the site now.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

as i've said here before, my hub has a mancrush on Eddie Vedder and loved the performance.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

k, no more eddie vedder manifestos. they make people look demented.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information