Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there hope for TV?

Reality TV is the malignant tumor on the brain of television. It's horrendous. We don't need it, it's not good, it's not even bad in a FUN way anymore. It's just awful.

But there is more good television now than ever before. Unfortunately, some great TV doesn't make it past a third season, or even a first.
    Agree, agree, agree. There's a whole lot of dreck out there now, but some really excellent TV too. It's a tragedy that shows like Firefly and Freaks and Geeks didn't make it past a first season (or even get a full season, for that matter). *shakes fist*

But there are some current shows making really good use of the "dramedy" genre, imo, like House, some great cable shows, like Dexter, good genre shows on specialty channels, like Battlestar Galactica, and a few solid comedies, like 30 Rock (not a "sitcom") and How I Met Your Mother (is a "sitcom", watch it for Neil Patrick Harris, trust!).
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

NPH cracks me up. I love that guy.

I also love Top Gear. I am addicted to that show.

^NPH is totally, totally brilliant. It's a traditional sitcom, but he is worth watching. Oh, I totally have a crush on him.

30 Rock is--like Arrested Development--like a little movie. It's more fun to watch it on DVD, in a way, because the commercial breaks disrupt the rhythm of the episodes.

I haven't seen The Wire or Dexter, but I want to.

30 Rock is--like Arrested Development--like a little movie.
    Indeed! It's hilarious - and pretty much a pure comedy - but there's no laugh track and they use multiple cameras (so it's basically filmed like a drama, with close-ups, lots of cuts, etc. whereas something like Friends is filmed with one camera for the most part and so looks like a play where you can see everyone on stage at once). I was reading about those differences in filming once, and came to realize that I generally prefer the multi-camera shows with no laugh track to the traditional sitcoms.

I'm trying to decide if want to get into Lost or not. Some friends keep pushing it on me...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'm actually really enjoying that show NYC soundtracks. It's cool that I have seen some of the people on it when I go through the subway. I think the saw lady is so good. I just voted for her to move on to the next round of the show because they are letting viewers pick their faves today: MSG.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information