Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Terri Irwin on Larry King Live

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sinnergirl View Post
    Wow. Sounds like you need a bit of fairy dust sent your way. Is your glass always half empty too?
    Years of being a child investigation social worker have left me a no nonsense realist. Not a delusional dreamer like some folks. Fairy dust is for suckers and the glass is half, not full, not empty, just half. (this is normally where I would add "you nitwit" but I'll refrain so I don't get spanked by a mod.)

Yes, there are different ways to process life events but any psych worker worth a spit will tell you that for at least a year, a FULL year, after the loss of a parent or spouse you should not make any major life commitments, you should allow yourself time and space to process what happened. Not the Traveling Irwin Animal & Banking Consortium, it's back to business with them.

Why not let the kid be a kid? I'm sure Steve Irwin left his family very well-fixed, so I don't understand the need to pimp out his 8-year-old daughter. If later on in life she wants to be a showman (or should I say show-woman?) like her dad was, great, but for now, why not not just allow her to be a little girl? I am afraid twenty years from now Bindi is going to be justifiably resentful about being pimped out months after her dad's death instead of being able to grieve for him and lead a somewhat normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
    Anyone consider that wallowing in grief isn't the "right" way? Christ! Unless you can look yourself in the mirror and say "I'm not the least bit fucked up" then who are you to judge how a mother and her children deal with grief. I am SO PROUD of Bindi. She loves her daddy and she is celebrating his life - what a wise and strong little girl. And as for the little boy - he's a little boy! What do you want him to do? Throw himself off a cliff? *shakes head*
    The point is that you and a few others who don't see anything wrong with the situation put it into black and white. Bindi as she is now opposite "wallowing in grief" or "publicly crying your eyes out". That's plain dumb and over the top, and ignoring what at least I am trying to say: the kid was on TV and saying things any normal 8 year old facing the same experience (loss of a loved one) would NOT be able to come up with herself (especially the choice of words) WITHIN TWO WEEKS after the tragedy happened. That's not natural, that's not right and it will come back on them, eventually.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    Years of being a child investigation social worker have left me a no nonsense realist. Not a delusional dreamer like some folks. Fairy dust is for suckers and the glass is half, not full, not empty, just half. (this is normally where I would add "you nitwit" but I'll refrain so I don't get spanked by a mod.)

Yes, there are different ways to process life events but any psych worker worth a spit will tell you that for at least a year, a FULL year, after the loss of a parent or spouse you should not make any major life commitments, you should allow yourself time and space to process what happened. Not the Traveling Irwin Animal & Banking Consortium, it's back to business with them.
    You are really, really deep. (this is normally where I would say "what a douche" but I will refrain.)
    Boom, I got your boyfriend, boom I got your man.

Elite Member

I'm with you lalaland! *high five*

First of all, Bindi Irwin was only on the Larry King show for about 10 minutes. It was an hour long show and most of the interview was with Terri. They took Bindi out the last 10 or 15 minutes of the show. So the child wasn't conducting this intricate hour long interview like some adult, okay? She sat there for a few minutes and exchanged a few words with Larry about the zoo and he asked her about her family (mom, dad, baby brother. Typical things you'd ask any kid her age). It's not like they asked her to explain the effects of elephant poaching in Africa! Jesus! Same thing with her other t.v. appearances. Bindi's there no more than 10 or 15 minutes. People are seriously overreacting as if Terri Irwin is forcing this kid to give motivational seminars to thousands of people all over the world. Some people force their antsy, bratty kids to sit in Church longer than that! Or even have 'time-outs' and stand in a corner staring at a wall like some brain-dead entity.

...and train is such an inappropriate word for this situation. People 'train' their kids to be everything if you want to be technical about it...how to speak, now to think, how to dress, what religion to practice....you see parents stick their kids in dancing, ballet, karate, t-ball, you name it, most parents have done it. It doesn't make them bad for doing that either. Bindi Irwin is a talented little girl and she's extremely intelligent. I think her parents have done a great job in raising her. She is doing no more than what she's been taught to do: be herself. Whether it be in a zoo or in a classroom in Anytown U.S.A., I have no doubt this little girl would shine and I'm all for children having the freedom to excel.

A*O

Seems to me that, generally speaking, the parents here see this one way and the non-parents have an entirely different perspective. Not saying one or the other is right or wrong - it's just interesting.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Seems to me that, generally speaking, the parents here see this one way and the non-parents have an entirely different perspective. Not saying one or the other is right or wrong - it's just interesting.
    As usual, the experienced versus the inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    I'm with you lalaland! *high five*

First of all, Bindi Irwin was only on the Larry King show for about 10 minutes. It was an hour long show and most of the interview was with Terri. They took Bindi out the last 10 or 15 minutes of the show. So the child wasn't conducting this intricate hour long interview like some adult, okay? She sat there for a few minutes and exchanged a few words with Larry about the zoo and he asked her about her family (mom, dad, baby brother. Typical things you'd ask any kid her age). It's not like they asked her to explain the effects of elephant poaching in Africa! Jesus! Same thing with her other t.v. appearances. Bindi's there no more than 10 or 15 minutes. People are seriously overreacting as if Terri Irwin is forcing this kid to give motivational seminars to thousands of people all over the world. Some people force their antsy, bratty kids to sit in Church longer than that! Or even have 'time-outs' and stand in a corner staring at a wall like some brain-dead entity.

...and train is such an inappropriate word for this situation. People 'train' their kids to be everything if you want to be technical about it...how to speak, now to think, how to dress, what religion to practice....you see parents stick their kids in dancing, ballet, karate, t-ball, you name it, most parents have done it. It doesn't make them bad for doing that either. Bindi Irwin is a talented little girl and she's extremely intelligent. I think her parents have done a great job in raising her. She is doing no more than what she's been taught to do: be herself. Whether it be in a zoo or in a classroom in Anytown U.S.A., I have no doubt this little girl would shine and I'm all for children having the freedom to excel.
    You must've been watching another show than me Yes, she was on, only for 10 minutes. But she was like a trained seal, seriously. It already began when she walked on before the break, as a teaser. She first stood on the left of her mom, who then told her it would be better if she stood on her right, to which she complied. Then mom asked her "How are you Bindi?" and the girl answered, cheerfully but completely unnaturally "Very well, thank you. And how are you?"........ Yes, that's a very normal type conversation between a mom and daughter. It all came across like a skit.
    You could, again like with Ellen, see King's reservations on whether this child is really doing so well, doing what she does. He asked her what she liked about her stage shows and she answered she loved the people cheering her name "Bindi, Bindi". Before an earlier break, stage mom Terri answered Larry King's question whether she didn't worry if Bindi was perhaps "over-exposed" that the girl didn't do anything she didn't want to do. That she wanted to be on Larry King Live, just not the full hour. She also told King that next week a fitness DVD (!) is coming out that "Bindi made especially to make the kids aware of their health" (.......), that Bindi "writes a weekly column for a women's magazine" (........) etc. etc. etc. Every other sentence that comes out of that little girl's mouth is clearly one that she hears around her often and therefore probably picked up, if not through active training, through passive learning. Like when King asked her if she wasn't nervous before she went on stage the 8 year old answered "No, I don't get nervous. The day I get nervous will be the day that I stop." Yeah, spoken like a true 8 year old!
    Like I said before: the poor child is "on" constantly, so much so that yes it has become second "nature", but there's very little natural left about it.
    I'm sorry, I'm sure mom loves her kid, but Bindi's a product now as much as she is a child.
    Also, Terri proudly said that during the first meeting with the team of the zoo when they discussed Steve's plans for the next ten years with the zoo, she said "Let's do it in five!" (........)
    The show, on second viewing, creeped me out even more than the first time.

***** celeb

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator View Post
    As usual, the experienced versus the inexperienced.
    Hmm, well i have experience being a child :-).

I've been watching Bindi and Terri all week and have been amazed. You have to remember too that Bindi's perspective on death is that it happens all the time--she's had the big "circle of life" lesson from being so immersed in the animal world. Death happens, big deal, we'll miss him (you, it), move on. When i was 8 my dream was to be a performer. I would have been in heaven to be able to travel the world, dancing, singing, meeting other kids and adults and performing. I don't think there's any sense in cramming a square peg into a round hole. Steve Irwin seemed to be an incredible man and i have faith that his wife and kids are also. I mean, jeez, what kind of reaction do people expect Bob (the son) to have? He's like, what--3 years old? He doesn't even know what dead means yet so it's no big surprise that he would clutch a stuffed animal and stare out the window. Kids need to be allowed to have their own reactions-- or not.

A*O

Well I don't think it's a 'natural reaction' for a kid to respond to a much-loved parent's death by making a fitness DVD, going on national TV in the USA to gush about animals and shit. NOBODY is criticising poor Bindi - she truly doesn't know any different. But her mother and the other 'advisers' on this, literally, Travelling Circus need to take a long hard look at what they are doing.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O;49q78432
    Fine - let's she how she's doing in 20 years' time.
    Totally not surprised about this one. She's what astrologers refer to as "Scorpio Leos". A powerhouse with all the Mars-Pluto traits I've been harping on about.

Bindi Sue Irwin
    July 24, 1988
    Nambour, Queensland, Australia.
    (noon birthtime used for calculation purposes).

Leo Sun
    Scorpio Moon
    Scorpio Rising
    Pluto in Scorpio inconjunct Mars in ARIES!!

As Buz Myers, noted astrologer always used to say: "Mars Pluto, anyone?!"

Oh she'll be fine as long as she's allowed run amok which pretty much she'll insist on anyway (think Oprah, Madonna, Trump, Angelina, Babwa, all the rest of those Mars Pluto people... see other thread Angelina Jolie disses Shiloh and admits Brad Pitt knocked her up.

She actually told her mother she loved her daddy more than her. I can understand the context, but still.... If my daughter had ever said that to me, I'd feel kicked in the stomach.

This girl will be more intimidating than Angelina Jolie ever thought about being. Yes, she's an adorable, articulate little girl. But just wait.

prnjc7, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    Totally not surprised about this one:

Bindi Sue Irwin
    July 24, 1988
    Nambour, Queesland, Australia.
    (noon birthtime used for calculation purposes).

Leo Sun
    Scorpio Moon
    Scorpio Rising
    Pluto in the 12th house on the Ascendant, quincunx to Mars.

She's what astrologers refer to as "scorpio leos". A powerhouse with all the Mars Pluto traits I've been harping on about.

Oh yeah, she'll be fine as long as she's allowed run amok which pretty much she'll insist on anyway (think Oprah, Madonna, Trump, Angelina, Babwa, all the rest of those Mars Pluto people... see other thread Angelina Jolie disses Shiloh and admits Brad Pitt knocked her up.

She actually told her mother she loved her daddy more than her. I can understand the context, but still.... If my daughter had ever said that to me, I'd feel kicked in the stomach.

This girl will be more intimidating than Angelina Jolie ever thought about being.

prnjc7, what do you think?

I'd recorded the show to be able to study and analyze things better, to see if my initial feelings were justified. I've come to the conclusion that they are (see my earlier post). The girl is coached and coaxed, given hints and little set-ups on what to say and do. Also interesting is the fact that of course she was the first born and her little brother is almost 6 years younger. In the footage that showed the entire Irwin family on their trip around the US (the first time I saw Steve in something else than his kaki outfit!) you should watch the expression on Bindi's face each time Steve concentrated on little Bob. She seriously looked dethroned. During those little shots you could see she was already performing half like a little adult half like the child she is, vying for her dad's attention and praise. ALL kids, even those raised in regular non-celeb families, have periods of sibling rivalry. But this was different, odd.
    Thank God little Bob is still natural at 3. However, they just showed a little behind the scenes in Larry King's green room, and again you could see mom Terri prompting both kids and praising them each time they'd reacted as was desired. It reminded me of animal trainers, I'm not kidding. One way she prompted them was "Why should people come to beautiful Australia?" and then Bindi shot off with a short tourist promo talk that looked like it was memorized, after which the mom praised her for saying the right thing.
    I'm sad for Bindi, I really am. You cannot blame the child for turning out the way she is now, due to her unconventional upbringing. But I'm sad because I more and more get the feeling we're watching a trainwreck in the making......

***** celeb

Hit By Ban Bus!

Ohhhhh... that makes me sad I thought she was above that kind of stuff. Well at least little Bob won't have to grow up in the shadow of dad and follow in his exact footsteps. He has a much gentler energy, that I can see.

I'm not surprised at all about what you saw in the sibling rivalry behavior. My kids both still watch... and I catch them and say, "I know you guys think I love one more than the other" and I play with them and say I do actually... and keep them hanging and then I start laughing and we start punching each other playfully and laughing. Really, they know they're both loved but sometimes I wonder if kids always have that doubt somewhere in their mind. I know my mother has a thing about my brother, but I still think she couldn't choose between us if she tried.

Totally OT: That little boy just does not seem like a "Bob" to me. It just seems like a weird name to call a child that angelic-looking.

Apologies in advance to any and all parents of a Bob.
    Last edited by Mira; January 12th, 2007 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Well, I'm not a parent, but I am an aunt and a godmother, and I love and support kids. No child should be paraded before the public like this, forced to perform like a circus animal. Bindi doesn't know she's being exploited, of course;she's so brainwashed she probably thinks making fitness videos and appearing on adult talk shows is more fun than participating in normal kid activities. I think the child does have a natural tendency towards performing and showmanship, but she's being forced to utilize these qualities too extensively. I feel sorry for her, because children like Bindi who are raised in a bubble have trouble relating to other children. They would think she was a freak.

I feel even sorrier for the kid because 15 to 20 years from now she's going to be in some therapist's office talking about the stage mom who forced her to perform like a trained seal 4 months after her daddy's death, instead of being allowed to grieve for him normally. She will sorely regret the loss of her childhood.

Bronze Member

^I don't think she is being FORCED to do anything. I think she wants to do these things and I think it's sad that her mother is getting shit for it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information