Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Superman Returns

SVZ

they needed to recast storm. halle berry can't act.

Damn, this movie was sooo bad I didn't even know it was made. It came out 2 years ago, heck, now I know I been at GR for a while. I remember the producers greenlighted a sequel but it was more of a knee jerk reaction at best, to kind of take the edge off what those involved with the movie felt was a tremendous underachiever.

yeah, now they want to "relaunch" superman a la Dark Knight...

you cant make a GOD all broody. Superman just isn't able to be made modern. He's a guy with limitless powers in a goofy costume. 1 thing hurts him. What could possibly challenge him? That's the problem with Superman. he's too fucking super. He has no real weaknesses other than stupidity.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

you cant make a GOD all broody. Superman just isn't able to be made modern. He's a guy with limitless powers in a goofy costume. 1 thing hurts him. What could possibly challenge him? That's the problem with Superman. he's too fucking super. He has no real weaknesses other than stupidity.
    I was just about to write, wait for the "reimagined/darker" version of superman. Give me a break are movie makers so stretched for fresh ideas and so bloody arrogant that they take a movie that is scant 2 years old and redo it in yet another "dark" way (which is sooo yesterday, taking a movie and making it more edgy blah blah blah).

The problem with them trying to make Superman 'darker' is that he's the ultimate boy scout. Superman's just not edgy like Batman. So, it just wouldn't work.

The one thing I did like about Superman was that they tweaked the story and advanced it with Superman and Lois having a kid. That offers up some new possibilities for storylines. They just need to recast the kid or give him a haircut.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    Agreed. I wish they had cast Angela Bassett or Iman as Storm.

You liked that?! Superman as a deadbeat dad...no thanks.

God do I hate that whole 'oh lets make it darker cause The Dark Knight was so successful!!!111' Oh, so its become a trend now? Making something darker doesn't mean its better, its based on its source material, which in this case was the Batman comics. Batman is both a dark character and his universe is dark with villains that all seem to need help/belong in Arkham Asylum, much like Batman himself in a way. You can't take Superman or Spider-Man comic books and make them "dark" for the sake of it. Those are not what the characters about or are.

I'm not upset, its just that bandwagon fanboys bother me

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    She can, she was just not right for Storm. They should of cast someone taller, slightly darker skinned who's talented enough to change their voice accent into something that sounds 'African'. Someone who looks like Iman would be perfect.

And why wasn't her hair long? Even in the first movie, it was all about chin length (so the last movie with the short short hair pissed me off). STORM NEEDS LONG HAIR!! HELLO!! The wind blows on her hair which makes her look awesome. What's wrong with these people...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    You mean Batman Begins.

Which is in my opinion, why we don't need anymore Superman movies. Superman I and II are enough. Besides Lois and Clark and Smallville, which are two different interpretations (post-Crisis, and the other is a mangling odd way of handling the mythos, lol) I don't need to see any theatrical releases of a Superman movie.

Christopher Reeve is the only Superman to me. He's the only one who can wears the suit -- tights in the primary colors with underwear -- and makes it work. Every one else (Allen, Reeves, Cain, Routh) you can tell feel uncomfortable and awkward in it (and rightfully so). Reeve's Superman is the only intimidating Superman I've seen. This is the only Superman that can look intimidating and be a 'nice guy' at the same time.

Example: I don't think anyone else can duplicate that scene in Superman: The Movie where Lex Luthor tells Otis to tell Superman to move ... he comes over, and with that one glare he just backs up slowly. Something you'd only find an anti-hero (Batman, etc) to do.

No, I mean The Dark Knight. That film was much darker, and grittier and reality based than Batman Begins.. and that's what the freaks who have their mitts on Superman want to do and what they quoted.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

But see, I only see TDK a continuation of BB, not a separate movie, even if its a sequel. I know, it doesn't make much sense.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information