Page 81 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1267
Like Tree967Likes

Thread: Streaming services (Netflix, Prime, Hulu): What to watch

I watched Abducted in Plain Sight. Fucking bananas pretty much covers it.
    sputnik likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I really want to see that!
    Waterslide likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^I don't even know what to say about that documentary it's so hard to believe all that could happen, even in the olden, trippy days of the 1970s.

So I started watching The Assassination of Gianni Versace (finally) and I'm only on the first episode and I was so depressed I could barely get through it. There is no rhyme or reason as to what show will depress me until I watch it. I remember the Andrew Cunanan manhunt and the actual murder of Gianni, but I realized when watching the show that I know nothing about the man himself. I knew his clothing, I knew his fantastic fucking house (yes, I know it's tacky, but I love it), and that he loved parties and beauty and celebrating life, but I didn't realize that he was actually that gentle-mannered and actually nice? I had him at some kind of god status and I didn't figure in his personality. I mean, are horrible things going to come out in the ensuing episodes to make me think he's not a nice guy? I don't mind spoilers if anyone happens to know.
    sputnik likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

^^^^
    i loved it.
    honestly, it's only versace-heavy for the first few episodes and then other than a few appearances by donatella and ricky martin, it's all about cunanan and the manhunt. there's not much else about gianni himself other than donatella being a dick to ricky martin's character and her refusal to acknowledge gianni's sexuality publicly (as if there was even a single person out there who thought for a second gianni was straight). it's a pretty good reminder of how far we've come on certain issues, even since the 90s which weren't that long ago.

i thought it was an exceptional series. a lot darker than people expected it to be (given how campy the oj simpson one was) but darren criss is exceptional as cunanan and i found the whole series really fascinating.
    Waterslide and gas_chick like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

You know, it's like having culture shock sometimes, even having lived through that time period. People being out of the closet now is so commonplace in every day life, you don't even register it as interesting (unless you're a super big asshole). Penelope/Donatella keeps alluding to people finding out "everything" so I assumed it was something horrific. It crossed my mind for a quick second that she might be talking about Gianni's sexuality, but dismissed it as ridiculous because of course we all knew he was gay, even back then. I agree, it does say a lot about how far we've come in that respect.

I also thought Donatella is being a big dick to Ricky Martin's character. In the episode I watched, it felt like Antonio/Ricky is arguably having a worse day than Gianni.

No. I don't want to spoil it for you, but no, he doesn't turn into a monster in the later episodes.

I watched the Cunanan manhunt, especially when he showed up in NJ and killed some random person, as it unfolded. I remember watching live when they were attempting to get into the boathouse. But somewhere shortly after the murder, I read up on Gianni ... I think it was in Vanity Fair but I could be remembering wrong. He was a total creature of habit, which enabled Cunanan to find him in the right place and the right time (depending on who is looking at it). He left every morning to go get his newspapers and magazines. He was generally pretty friendly if someone came up to him, as it was well known in the area where Gianni lived so he bumped into regular people a lot. Did not have a lot, if any, security and he felt comfortable walking around outside his villa. He tried very hard (and it's up to others whether he succeeded) to teach Donatella the business, and some would say that he was feeling his own mortality (the Versace family has long denied that Gianni had HIV or AIDS, but it's supposedly a badly kept secret that he was indeed positive) and wanted to make sure that the Versace brand remained in the family. In his will, he left his very extensive art collection to his niece, Donatella's daughter. He was passionate about his clothing line, which I think you could say for any designer. He took care of his family in his will (there were some fights with the boyfriend and how much he should have gotten, but I don't remember specifically what he was asking for and what he ultimately received). The series portrays Donatella and the boyfriend as at odds with each other even before Gianni was murdered. It's been a while since I watched or read anything about Gianni Versace but I don't remember ANYTHING nefarious about him (my memory gets worse by the day). He seemed like a decent guy, brother, uncle, boyfriend, employer, etc. Unfortunately the names Versace and Cunanan will always be remembered together, and I think that was Cunanan's whole plan.
    Waterslide and sputnik like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

^Thanks, that helps to know. I thought I should probably see if there's a book or article out there about him. I guess I didn't realize how relatively normal he was and it made it that much sadder to me.

And despite Donatella being a dick to the boyfriend, I thought she so far seems way sweeter and more vulnerable than I normally picture her, too.

And yeah, the Cunanan manhunt made a stop in Chicago when he murdered Lee Miglin who I see is played by Mike Farrell - there's a blast from the past.

Yeah, before Gianni was murdered, NO ONE understood what the hell was going on with Cunanan. When he murdered the cemetery caretaker in NJ (I think it was to just get a new vehicle), no one knew where he was, what his MO was, nothing. Then when he murdered Gianni, the news went nuts. Cunanan told lots of people that he knew and had partied with Gianni but people who were in the same places said that never happened. Cunanan's life was a whole lie, and his father was a genuine weirdo about Cunanan and his mother just enabled everything he did. I remember the days between when Gianni was murdered and when they actually found him, barricaded, on the house boat .... there was just so much confusion in the news about Cunanan. Even today, his murders seem very unorganized and random. It's very off from what we know about the profile of a spree or serial killer.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Definitely. He always creeped me out because he was so disorganized and random.
    Nevan likes this.

"Mindhunter" on Netflix is really good. Creepy and disturbing, but good.
    Daphodil, sputnik and fgg like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I watched Abducted in Plain Sight. Fucking bananas pretty much covers it.
    What.the.fuck did I just watch?

(Spoiler alert)
    The dude literally dickmatized the parents into letting him rape their daughter right under their noses. And you know the dad did way more than just jerk him off that one time

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    "Mindhunter" on Netflix is really good. Creepy and disturbing, but good.
    Yes. I hope they make another season but it’s been a while so I’m not very optimistic.

Anybody watching Lorena on Amazon Prime about John Wayne and Lorena Bobbit? I'm only on the first episode, but oh, what a blast from the past!

I’m watching pen15 and it is both hilarious and mortifying.
    fgg likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    What.the.fuck did I just watch?

(Spoiler alert)
    The dude literally dickmatized the parents into letting him rape their daughter right under their noses. And you know the dad did way more than just jerk him off that one time

Yes. I hope they make another season but it’s been a while so I’m not very optimistic.
    I don't even know. I wondered what I watched, too.

*SPOILER*

I don't think I've ever heard of an entire family being sexually molested/seduced (?) by the same person at roughly the same time. I don't even fucking know how that can happen.

And speaking of Mindhunter, I want to give that another watch one of these days. I do hope that it comes back.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

No premier date yet, but the next season of "Mindhunter " is supposed to focus on The Atlanta Child Murders. I like how in the first season that the BTK killer Dennis Rader is showing up as a background character lurking about. I imagine he'll play a role in future episodes.
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.

Thread Information