Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Like Tree498Likes

Thread: Streaming services (Netflix, Prime, Hulu): What to watch

Didn't finish Paranoid, but started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell on Netflix (I think it might also be on Prime). I love that time period, but the show is kind of meh to me, but I like Eddie Marsan. It's all right, but I don't really get the whole magic part of it, and at any time it feels like Johnny Depp is about to emerge from the fog with a monocle and a song.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I wish they'd get Boondocks.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Didn't finish Paranoid, but started Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell on Netflix (I think it might also be on Prime). I love that time period, but the show is kind of meh to me, but I like Eddie Marsan. It's all right, but I don't really get the whole magic part of it, and at any time it feels like Johnny Depp is about to emerge from the fog with a monocle and a song.
    I have the book, I heard a review of it when the hardback came out but it is really quite unreadable and about 3 inches thick!
    I recorded the programs when they were on TV but never got around to watching them, need to try again - worth the effort???

Did I ever mention Taboo? Is anyone watching it? I'm still watching Midsomer Murders s17 and Sherlock
    Free Charmed.

fgg

^we're watching taboo. i like it so far but it is a little slow.
    gas_chick and Waterslide like this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

i saw the first episode of taboo, it was good. when i get a minute i'll watch the next one.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

Thanks - I have it on BBC download but haven't seen it yet. Having said that I have a feeling that I have some downtime in my future, I have an ear infection that makes me woosy even just sitting.
    I was working from home today & have basically given up, off for a hot shower & a nap.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I have the book, I heard a review of it when the hardback came out but it is really quite unreadable and about 3 inches thick!
    I recorded the programs when they were on TV but never got around to watching them, need to try again - worth the effort???
    I like the atmosphere of it, but it's pretty slow. I thought about getting the book, but a lot of the book reviews (GoodReads, Amazon) used the term "slog through" a lot, so I imagine that it's 1000 pages of slowness, too. But not everyone hated the story, just the pacing. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort though, because I was kind of using it as a background noise kind of show. And they don't explain where all this magic is coming from, just that there are magicians, and I would like some more background mythology or at least a hint of it.

Did I ever mention Taboo? Is anyone watching it? I'm still watching Midsomer Murders s17 and Sherlock[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Thanks - I have it on BBC download but haven't seen it yet. Having said that I have a feeling that I have some downtime in my future, I have an ear infection that makes me woosy even just sitting.
    I was working from home today & have basically given up, off for a hot shower & a nap.
    Hope you're feeling better. There's a lot of stuff going around this year...even across the pond it seems. I have been watching Taboo, and I agree with fgg, it's kind of on the slow side, but it's not quite as slow as JS&MrN and plus you get to watch beardy Tom Hardy walk around being all intense and scary, so I'm really liking it. I'm looking forward to seeing where the show is going to go.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

I binged watch The Night Manager over the weekend whilst nursing the Mr. after surgery. Meh. Mr. Corn hated it. It is visually very pretty. The story can drag. Hugh is a great bad guy. Hiddles fails to impress. He is NOT a badass. And the story is both formulaic and implausible. Meaning there are no surprises here except you have to move from A to C while pretending B doesn't exist.

Started Goliath with Billy Bob Thorton. Liking it so far. In a lesser actor's hands the character would be a caricature but he entertains me so i'm enjoying it.
    Beeyotch and palta like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I like the atmosphere of it, but it's pretty slow. I thought about getting the book, but a lot of the book reviews (GoodReads, Amazon) used the term "slog through" a lot, so I imagine that it's 1000 pages of slowness, too. But not everyone hated the story, just the pacing. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort though, because I was kind of using it as a background noise kind of show. And they don't explain where all this magic is coming from, just that there are magicians, and I would like some more background mythology or at least a hint of it.

Did I ever mention Taboo? Is anyone watching it? I'm still watching Midsomer Murders s17 and Sherlock

Hope you're feeling better. There's a lot of stuff going around this year...even across the pond it seems. I have been watching Taboo, and I agree with fgg, it's kind of on the slow side, but it's not quite as slow as JS&MrN and plus you get to watch beardy Tom Hardy walk around being all intense and scary, so I'm really liking it. I'm looking forward to seeing where the show is going to go.[/QUOTE]

Off today and will be off tomorrow....

Is there a Us & UK versions of the night manager? I heard it was good....
    Waterslide and teforde23 like this.
    Free Charmed.

As far as I know, the Americans didn't fuck that one up yet with a version of our own, so the one I saw had Tom Hiddleston, Hugh Laurie, Tom Hollander, etc.

I enjoyed it. To me it was more plausible than Homeland or the last Bourne movie I saw (the one with Jeremy Renner), and I miss good(ish) spy thrillers. I agree with CFG that it wasn't perfect, and there were some pretty big gaps in logic and reality, but it was entertaining. I believed Hiddleston in the role, loved Hugh Laurie as evil, and I like the actress that plays Hugh's wife. I don't know if Hiddleston was supposed to be badass or if he was just supposed to be a quiet, proper spy-type? I did like the filming, and seeing all those rich people places. It kind of has an 80s aesthetic as far as wardrobe, scenery, setting, etc.

Speaking of Hugh Laurie, he's got a Hulu show called Chance where he plays a psychiatrist. I started watching a little bit of it, but it was so depressing, I stopped. Anyone else watching it and know what it's about or if it's worth another go?
    panic likes this.
    ~Manx Mouse

*bump*

So, I caught up with House of Cards. I don't think I'm as fond of this show as everyone else is. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I loved Robin Wright in the first two seasons, but now she's just overly sedate and creepy and Kevin Spacey is just chewing up the scenery as usual. I used to like the dynamic their characters had as an evil, conniving couple, but now I just don't really get what they want out of ruling America, or from life, or from each other. And then, there's this "We are the terror" thing, which just seems like a sad and ineffective version of "I am the danger. I am the one who knocks." I used to like that they would scheme together, but now they're just sort of mindless, soulless, psychopaths who are just evil for the sake of being evil.

I've been watching The Path, but forgot new episodes come out weekly instead of all at once like civilized people like Netflix do. I start getting antsy when I can't binge something.
    panic likes this.
    ~Manx Mouse

fgg

we've been binge-watching death in paradise. we're up to season 4.
    teforde23 likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

we're watching "The Man in the High Castle" on amazon which is a total freak out for me because ever since i learned about it as a kid i couldn't stop thinking about how scary it must've been to be in europe during the nazi reign. a few years ago i saw the ken burns 7-part documentary, "The War", a very detailed study of WWII from beginning to end, and for weeks afterward i've wondered what it would've been like if the nazis and japan had won that war.

it seems almost a fluke that germany was defeated because they occupied most of europe at one point, leveling one country after another in their wake. i don't know how the allies gained such traction in the battle of the bulge but holy shit, THANK YOU!, because the nazis and japan planned to take canada and the us for themselves, split it between them.

so when 'the man in the high castle' opens, there's a map of the US where most of the country is marked nazi germany and the pacific states are marked japan. it makes it especially creepy that i'm watching it with donald clump as president.

SPOILER BELOW:

still watching Black Mirror on netflix. the one called 'be right back' is flipped out but i don't think there's any way i would try to email or make a synthetic replica of my husband if he died because, duh, THAT'S NOT HIM. i knew as soon as she started the car and 'how deep is your love' started playing and the replica of her husband said, "cheesy song", he would not be coming back home with her.

the episode black bear left me speechless. very, very creative.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

That Be Right Back thing was just...I don't know. It was upsetting. Interesting though because I think grief could drive you to want that even if it's not the right thing.

I started Man in the High Castle a while back and watched a few episodes and got distracted, but everyone is talking about it around the office, so maybe it will get moved back up the list. I had a hard time watching it because Rufus Sewell is in it and he plays a Nazi and that's just gross to me, because that automatically puts the kibosh on drooling over him. Stupid reason not to watch the show, I know. I will give it another go. I still have to see the Ken Burns documentary, too, while we're at it.

I didn't sleep at all last night and felt like crap all day, so I watched Santa Clarita Diet because the episodes are mercifully short. I will just drop this paragraph from the WP here:

Also, Barrymore is not very good at acting. Is that even a controversial statement anymore? She can wave her arms and approximate the responses indicated in the script, she can get her lines right, and that’s about it — another instance of Drew Barrymore doing an impression of Drew Barrymore. Things generally work all right for her when her co-star is Adam Sandler, but here, it’s Olyphant, who, after such a memorable turn in six seasons of FX’s drama “Justified,” is more than ready to declare himself a comic actor, delivering a performance she cannot hope to equal. “Santa Clarita Diet” is entirely dependent on him.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...=.8a24ecec0bef

Actually, even Timothy Olyphant, whom I normally love, needed to dial it back a notch or two with the comic over-acting. I mean, it does have funny parts that did make me laugh, so it's not a complete loss. But the acting really is pretty bad.
    ~Manx Mouse

I watched the first episode of Black Mirror. It's disgusting. I don't know if I will continue.
    Beeyotch and palta like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information